Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see your VE graph after tuning..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnus
Also, its easy to tune the low rpm low kpa cells of the table as you are in them quite often, however high load low rpm you may barely hit.. so you will not get a lot of data in that range.. When you do hit those cells, adjust the surrounding cells as well (by a lesser margin) to keep things inline.
This table is only altered from 4k down. The only changes from 4k up are in the 100kpa region to command a 13.0 afr.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad, its all about interpolation.

Send me a .bin and .hpl (with commanded AFR and WB AFR) and I'll check it out.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

Please dont take our queston asking as arguing we are just trying to get to the bottom of this. I blew many hours smoothing the ve table because i would log make changes smooth and then they would be off from the goal i was trying to reach. After logging and LEAVING the table as is there was less deviation between actual and commanded
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No worries..

I believe you guys.. I'd like to see your data so I can understand WHY your mountain range is workin for ya.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

No worries..

I believe you guys.. I'd like to see your data so I can understand WHY your mountain range is workin for ya.
LOL had already removed it before I read this. You have mail. Thanks.. Like Humpin stated, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this so I can help educate more people.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 PM
FormerVendor

Chad will have to send it to you I havent tuned my car in months because of a blown rear
Old 02-20-2005, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never saw the smoothing button

Magnus, how exactly does it setup the polynomial?

Does it fit the curve across all the points at a specific RPM point across a MAP range?

Or does it fit across the points that have been changed and adjust the points that have not been changed and fit to the curve?

I am assuming that it works on one line at a time, or does it take all points into account i.e. a 3-D curve fit?

Edit:
And I had another question for you, what kind of gains did you see at the track with the MAFless tune? Any before and after numbers? Nobody was able to answer this question in another thread and a busted tranny is preventing me from finding out myself
Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Each point is calculating using the surrounding cells. It does not curve the entire graph as that lead to less than desireable results. It uses all points, changed and unchanged in calculation.

Its also a multi-pass function.

No before/after #'s.. I went mafless because I threw on a 90mm TB.. kinda pointless to run a 90mm TB with a tiny MAF as a restriction.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Chad, your table is semi-smooth for the areas that you have a lot of data for.. but areas that are hard to reach you start creating ski ranges...

In those ranges if you change one, change the surrounding by a lesser margin.

Also, remember.. interpolation.. Remove your spikes by absorbing them into the surrounding cells...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Chad, your table is semi-smooth for the areas that you have a lot of data for.. but areas that are hard to reach you start creating ski ranges...

In those ranges if you change one, change the surrounding by a lesser margin.

Also, remember.. interpolation.. Remove your spikes by absorbing them into the surrounding cells...
Also, I still don't see how smoothing is possible. Lets take Idle for
an example. map 50 rpm 800. If I smooth the VE table, then it alters
this cell and in turn throws off my ACTUAL afr for idle.

Example: Before smoothing for Map 50/RPM 800 = 39.0 (my car never goes out of this cell at idle)

After smoothing for Map 50/RPM 800 = 42.2 This is going to put my ACTUAL AFR richer then I want it to be because the other cells don't have any effect on it.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

At low load points in the table changing the VE can drasticaly change your AFR..

Your idle are seems ok.. the areas I am most concerned about are the abnormally large spikes that do not match their surrounding and the flat WOT ridge. Also there is a really huge spike about 2K rpm's and low kPa.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each point is calculating using the surrounding cells. It does not curve the entire graph as that lead to less than desireable results. It uses all points, changed and unchanged in calculation.

Its also a multi-pass function.

No before/after #'s.. I went mafless because I threw on a 90mm TB.. kinda pointless to run a 90mm TB with a tiny MAF as a restriction.
Thanks

Reason I asked is because I did something similar but in a different application, finite element analysis.

I was going to try and apply the same techniques to smoothing the table out but didn't see the smoothing buttion
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your VE graph after tuning..-flow.jpg  
Old 02-20-2005, 09:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

a VE snow hill.

I may start off using the smoothing button once.. but will manually smooth out the rest of the table.. I am very picky about my VE (not that it matters I just like to play)..

Just don't abuse the smoothing button or you'll change cells that shouldn't be changed or end up creating a nice plane. You can also highlight the area you want to smooth, then hit the smoothing button to avoid smoothing outside cells.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

At low load points in the table changing the VE can drasticaly change your AFR..

Your idle are seems ok.. the areas I am most concerned about are the abnormally large spikes that do not match their surrounding and the flat WOT ridge. Also there is a really huge spike about 2K rpm's and low kPa.
Thanks for the help Keith. The mountain spike you are refering to at 2k rpms is when I let off of the gas. As you can see, I have turned off DFCO and Idle Proportional but still seem to get some funky numbers there. I really do appreciate the help.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah very informative. My smoothing skills by hand isnt that pimp and maybe that is because i am looking at this as a cell by cell thing instead of looking at the bigger picture
Old 02-20-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Yeah very informative. My smoothing skills by hand isnt that pimp and maybe that is because i am looking at this as a cell by cell thing instead of looking at the bigger picture

I agree. Nothing you have is pimp.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

a VE snow hill.

I may start off using the smoothing button once.. but will manually smooth out the rest of the table.. I am very picky about my VE (not that it matters I just like to play)..

Just don't abuse the smoothing button or you'll change cells that shouldn't be changed or end up creating a nice plane. You can also highlight the area you want to smooth, then hit the smoothing button to avoid smoothing outside cells.
It is really hard to leave that freaking table alone. I always find myself messing with it. I have noticed adding timing makes for interesting changes in FTs. Especially at the low rpm end. (my testing with up 50 degrees of timing can do that I suppose) The interesting (but not surprising) thing that I have found is fuel requirements dropping with increased timing.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ya, timing affects fueling..

Smooth the table by using the 3D graph.. just click your point and drag it to where you want it to be. Its hard to smooth a table that is very spikey though by hand, you may not hit the cells you want.

The reason I got so involved in this thread is because I too am addicted to VE tuning.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 02-20-2005, 09:37 PM
FormerVendor

So all it boils down to is, your algorithm take samples of the cells and their surroundings and smooths based on how much it had to take from one to add to the other....
Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sort of..

I don't make changes 100%.. I usually make changes in the 50% range and then scan again to see how much more I have to go. A 100% change may put me on the other side of the line.. hence, multiply by half %

Quick Reply: Let's see your VE graph after tuning..