Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband O2 Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Wideband O2 Cable Question

I finally broke down and got an LM-1 which I plan on using this spring when the snows clears out. Anyway, I've got the tach wire figured-out (pin 10, white wire), but I'm wondering how I can run the thick O2 sensor cable inside the car. I could enlarge the firewall hole behind the PCM, but how did you guys do it? Also, which side (driver or passenger) did you mount the bung?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran mine through the hole by the PCM ... w/the cable there's a thick end and a smaller circular end that plugs into the LM1 unit... feed the thinner end through from the engine side and there will be no need to enlarge the hole

You bought the RPM Converter too then right? Need that in order to tap into the Rev Limiter unless you're using a scanner w/enhanced input capabilities
Old 02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put it under the rubber boot for the shifter when I had my tranny out.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Mike, appreciate it!

I was thinking about the O2 cable that's attached to the O2 sensor itself, I forgot about the wire you have to connect to that cable, and into the LM-1. I won't even have to mess with enlarging the hole. I'm glad I asked.

BTW, does it matter which side you mount the bung?

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

P Mack, is there a way of fishing it in with the tranny installed?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
You bought the RPM Converter too then right? Need that in order to tap into the Rev Limiter unless you're using a scanner w/enhanced input capabilities
Yes, I got the rpm converter with the induction clamp, but I hope to tap into the tach signal, at the PCM.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, maybe you could use a coat hanger to pull it up through the hole. I don't remember how much space there is with the tranny installed.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Predator
Yes, I got the rpm converter with the induction clamp, but I hope to tap into the tach signal, at the PCM.
doh that's what I meant... (not rev limiter) just tap in a few inches above the PCM ... make sure it's a good tap too... when I tapped mine for my window switch I didn't do a very good job and would loose my tach every once in a while
Old 02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Question

doh that's what I meant... (not rev limiter) just tap in a few inches above the PCM ... make sure it's a good tap too... when I tapped mine for my window switch I didn't do a very good job and would loose my tach every once in a while
Mike, I don't really trust those plastic wire taps, so I was just going to cut the wire, twist the leads together, solder it, and then wrap it. Would that be okay?

Thanks man--appreciate it!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Predator
Mike, I don't really trust those plastic wire taps, so I was just going to cut the wire, twist the leads together, solder it, and then wrap it. Would that be okay?

Thanks man--appreciate it!

perfect
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack
Hmm, maybe you could use a coat hanger to pull it up through the hole. I don't remember how much space there is with the tranny installed.
I never considered routing it that way, but that's an option I'll keep in mind.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the WB sensor bung welded in the I-pipe opposite
the trailing edge of the passenger's door so I had a
minimum-distance route into the cabin and the door
weatherstripping holds it up off the road. I did not want
to have it permanently installed; fishing it through the
firewall seemed like excess effort.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I got the rpm converter with the induction clamp,
Could I ask a quick question....What is this? Do you need it w/ the LM-1?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Could I ask a quick question....What is this? Do you need it w/ the LM-1?
Yes it's used w/the LM-1

If you don't have a scanner/tuner that supports external inputs (example HP Tuners w/EIO) then you need this w/the LM-1 to log RPM along w/AFR ...
Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Thank you sir.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Yes it's used w/the LM-1

If you don't have a scanner/tuner that supports external inputs (example HP Tuners w/EIO) then you need this w/the LM-1 to log RPM along w/AFR ...
I have HP Tunes now without the EIO, how much extra is this? I was going to go with a dynojet WB, but if this is cheaper and works better, then I will go this route....
Old 02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

$150 to upgrade to the EIO cable last I checked... gives you 4 inputs and 2 outputs (outputs are controlled via the scanner, allows you to switch an output to ground, useful for activating relays or any external device that needs a ground signal)

the EIO option works better however... I had the RPM converter before HPT came out w/the EIO option and was a pain in the **** comparing the two files (plus HPT has many built in items for hte scanner to make tuning w/a Wideband input much easier)
Old 02-25-2005, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

$150 to upgrade to the EIO cable last I checked... gives you 4 inputs and 2 outputs (outputs are controlled via the scanner, allows you to switch an output to ground, useful for activating relays or any external device that needs a ground signal)

the EIO option works better however... I had the RPM converter before HPT came out w/the EIO option and was a pain in the **** comparing the two files (plus HPT has many built in items for hte scanner to make tuning w/a Wideband input much easier)
So all I need is the EIO upgrade and a wideband sensor and I'm set? I have version 1.4 so will it work ok? What WB sensor do you guys recommend? Sorry for the thread hijack, figured I'd ask
Old 02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Huge help fellas, I really appreciate it!

jimmy, I was thinking that I would only have to fish the wire into the car one time, and I'd be all set to plug in any time I want. I won't be permanently installing the LM-1, but I can just leave the cable (that goes from the WB O2 harness into the LM-1) in the engine compartment and inside the car, and maybe zip tie it to the wheel well, with the other wires there.

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
So all I need is the EIO upgrade and a wideband sensor and I'm set? I have version 1.4 so will it work ok? What WB sensor do you guys recommend? Sorry for the thread hijack, figured I'd ask
No won't work w/1.4... so go to the customer logon on HPTs site and download 1.6.x (whenever you go there you will always get the latest production download)

w/the EIO upgrade and the 1.6 software you'll be able to log WB O2 data along w/the rest of your scan

I'm fond of the LM-1 device... they're releasing an LC-1 but release is slated for end of march at the earliest it seems

I know lots of others that run the dynojet setup and they love it as well... between the LM-1 or Dynojet really can't go wrong... they use the cheap Bosch LSU4 sensors that can be had for under 40 bux if you need a replacement (some wideband controllers use much more expensive sensors)