Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, How to Tune 101!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPtuners

Cam-only ls1 + bolt-ons and a th400(original a4 01 Fireturd). Stock injectors for now, but I'm upgrading this winter for the dry kit.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

great resource, good read too.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Frost
There is no need to post mis-information in a sticky; that's the opposite of what they are for.

It tells you to "tune" WOT via narrowbands, then re-enable the MAF and guess at the area you can't reach in cruise (WOT!!) ...

There are tons of other small items in there that are mis-interpreted, not needed, wholly left out, and otherwise.

Seriously, I'm not trying to kick the guy for trying to help people out years ago when he did this, and while there is good info in there, some of it needs to picked and chosen from. It's just not something for a sticky.
So your manning up to help fix these mentionable issues or simply offer complaints? Drop the business talk and remember us small guys man.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

he's right, that stuff is super old and isnt good info anymore
Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reject
he's right, that stuff is super old and isnt good info anymore
can you point a NEWB tuner to a more updated guide? I found the Cpig guide on the HPT forums but its a year old now and they told me even that info was incorrect now.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Launching!

I have been using CPigs guide to tune mine. I am using the Alternate Step 2 and so far it the car is running much better than it was to start with. I take a 20 minute drive in the afternoon and do a few changes and repeat again the next afternoon after work.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, when they refer to Cpig, they are referring to a much newer tuning Howto originally posted on the HPTuners site. It can be found here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...highlight=Cpig

Both seem like an awesome start for a new tuner like myself, especially since they both get you into the "nitty gritty" of HP Tuners (places that I wouldnt have a freakin clue how to work). I am a little confused when people say that they arent relevent anymore, or they are the incorrect way to tune... so they shouldnt be sourced at all? Like I said, they both take a newbie into the bowels of tuning, like for instance, disableing the MAF and tuning the LTFT. Before reading in the stickies/these howto's I wouldnt have a clue what LTFT even is, much less that somewhere in my learning to tune that I would disable certain sensors... to get a more accurate reading So, other than the freakin tuning school, which costs 150% of HPT Pro, how would I have ever even thought of tuning things like my VE or LTFT. Someone will inevitably say "if you read the Fu#%ing stickies then you would know that already, gosh... flippin idiot, kip." But these howto's give us a nice ORDER to do things. At the least, I would like to know what is relevent information, and what needs to be avoided like the plague.

Oh, and I am speaking for the folks like myself, who have stock internals, with the exception of a cam, maybe heads, and full boltons... no nitrous, blower, turbo, flux capacitor, or hydro/steam/coal/ebay stage 12 chip installed.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Anyone want to get in on a shared purchase of tuning @ home with www.thetuningschool.com? I have $250, a scanner/copier!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SSAUTOCHROME
Anyone want to get in on a shared purchase of tuning @ home with www.thetuningschool.com? I have $250, a scanner/copier!
Even though their approach is still slightly flawed compared to how the calibrations are intended to be done by GM, I still wouldn't endorse you publically stating that you'd like to pirate their intellectual property.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by turbolx
Even though their approach is still slightly flawed compared to how the calibrations are intended to be done by GM, I still wouldn't endorse you publically stating that you'd like to pirate their intellectual property.
What is the proper way GM intended them to be tuned in? There must be a proper guide somewhere...

Quick Reply: Finally, How to Tune 101!