Nice!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the update out yet????
Old 07-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Teching In

I can't get the file to open. It keeps trying to open it in Adobe b/c i don't have MS office (******* Windows Vista). Can anyone copy/paste it from Word to Adobe and e-mail it to me at lynnmh6792@yahoo.com ? Please.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

This is the best tuning guide I have read. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Downloaded it today. Haven't read it yet but any help is greatly apprecaited.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynnmh
I can't get the file to open. It keeps trying to open it in Adobe b/c i don't have MS office (******* Windows Vista). Can anyone copy/paste it from Word to Adobe and e-mail it to me at lynnmh6792@yahoo.com ? Please.
Just sent you a PDF.

Bill
Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

great info here...... why isn`t it in the STICKY.....
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
great info here...... why isn`t it in the STICKY.....
because not all of it is good information... there is actually an entry about WOT tuning with STOCK NARROW BAND SENSORS which should be avoided like the plague, along with several other items of the sort.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
because not all of it is good information... there is actually an entry about WOT tuning with STOCK NARROW BAND SENSORS which should be avoided like the plague, along with several other items of the sort.
I agree. thats why there isn't a "get started tuning" document yet. There are soooo many ways to skin a cat and no one wants to agree on a way to tune.

I started writing a document like this....and quit. and really its simple to adjust spark and fueling and get you where you need to be, things always get overcomplicated and people are like oh you need to mess with this table...and this table... and this table.

PE mode works. and I know i'm making it sound like it is simple, and i know its not when you don't know where to start from... cuz hell i didn't when i got my software.

but beware...read, experiment to a degree, learn, adjust. LOL. don't make your engine go Kabooooom
Old 08-24-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What ur saying is correct but still the guy had made what most of us cannot do and i think he deserve a STICKY. PLUS there is much more info there that deserves hands UP.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

I think this will be very helpful. I downloaded it today.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
What ur saying is correct but still the guy had made what most of us cannot do and i think he deserve a STICKY. PLUS there is much more info there that deserves hands UP.
There is no need to post mis-information in a sticky; that's the opposite of what they are for.

It tells you to "tune" WOT via narrowbands, then re-enable the MAF and guess at the area you can't reach in cruise (WOT!!) ...

There are tons of other small items in there that are mis-interpreted, not needed, wholly left out, and otherwise.

Seriously, I'm not trying to kick the guy for trying to help people out years ago when he did this, and while there is good info in there, some of it needs to picked and chosen from. It's just not something for a sticky.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I suppose if folks read the existing stickies they would see this thread is readily available....
Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

james99ws6,

Thank-you for the contribution. Excellent information & greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the e-mails dave and bill.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no need to post mis-information in a sticky; that's the opposite of what they are for.

It tells you to "tune" WOT via narrowbands, then re-enable the MAF and guess at the area you can't reach in cruise (WOT!!) ...

There are tons of other small items in there that are mis-interpreted, not needed, wholly left out, and otherwise.

Seriously, I'm not trying to kick the guy for trying to help people out years ago when he did this, and while there is good info in there, some of it needs to picked and chosen from. It's just not something for a sticky.
I put this together many years ago when I was first learning how to tune. One of the biggest obstacles is the sheer amount of information in a gazillion different places. I've been collecting additional information for this document and am working on a new version.

I have removed the narrow band PE tuning section as it doesn't apply. Way back in the LT1 Edit days, this was relevant information.

Frost, does that make you happy?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I put this together many years ago when I was first learning how to tune. One of the biggest obstacles is the sheer amount of information in a gazillion different places. I've been collecting additional information for this document and am working on a new version.

I have removed the narrow band PE tuning section as it doesn't apply. Way back in the LT1 Edit days, this was relevant information.

Frost, does that make you happy?

It's not about whether I am happy or not, I just wanted to make sure that those reading are getting good info that they know that they can trust
Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For all the newbies like me, just finding this thread - post #47 has a working link to download the Word document. Thanks a bunch for everyone who contributed.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you make up a quick list of things to do in order when tuning an LS1 from start to finish? The stickies provide tons of in depth information on every aspect of tuning, but it doesn't tell you when to do what. I'm gonna be tuning my car in the next couple weeks, and I'd like to have an idea of what to do when...

IE
1: Basic parameters(injector scaling, tq management, rev limiter, etc)
2: Idle Tuning
3: Part throttle/cruise

etc.

Could you write up something simple like that just to give me a basic idea of how to go about doing it?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of software are you going to be using? Both EFIlive and HPT have "how to" stickies on their respective forums.
What is you combo? That makes a big difference in what to do for tuning. You dont tune a bolt on car the same way you tune a stroker.
How much cam? Again, different things for a mild or stock cam versus a big cammed motor.
ETC or throttle cable? That makes a difference too. Sorry to sound elusive.
If its a stroker, with bigger injectors, the 2 things you do first is set the displacement and injector flow rate. Then you have to make it idle. Idle speed and base running airflow would be the next couple things to set.
If its a big cam motor, you'll need to set it up in speed density, and tune the VE table. Thats a whole chapter in itself.
If you're going to run a MAF, you'll need to re-enable it and dial it in, after tuning the VE.
There's standard things you need to do like turning off the COT, and disabling the long term fuel trims, at least until its dialed in good.
After you buy your software, sign on to the respective forum, and they'll have most all the info you'll ever need.

Quick Reply: Finally, How to Tune 101!