PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some VE Table Values at 0. Idle at 2,700 rpm. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Neither link works. Server can't be contacted.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup two minutes after I upload them my host dies. Sure glad I pay that montly bill...

They should be alive soon.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Ok they are live again.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Richt-click on the LTFT historgram, choose average. Right-click again, choose copy. Open the Primary VE table from the .bin file which generated this log. Right-click choose Paste Special>Multiply by %. If you want to approach the settings in smaller steps, use the Multiply by % - Half. It may take you longer to reach your goal, but sometimes if you don't use it you'll keep overshooting the correct value. Save table. Manually highlight each even row one at a time (10/20/30/.../100) and paste each into your Secondary VE table. Save table. Save the .bin as a new filename and flash your PCM with it. Reset the fuel trims, and then start a new log. Repeat as necessary. When you get real close, save a new.bin after using the poly smooth (1 decimal precision) ONCE. Reset the LTFT's again and do more logging to see if the smoothing featured fubared your numbers. Usually there will be jsut a few cells which will get out of whack.

- That rev limiter is too high unless your bottom end has been built and you have a cam which is still making power at that RPM.

- The power enrichment is set to 12.0:1 across the board. I thought GM placed all of them at 11.8:1. Maybe the previous owner changed this as well.

- As you stated, both your low and high octane tables are the same. But the tables don't look stock.

- It's possible your misfire tables have been altered. There seem to be too many 32767 values.

$0.02
Old 03-12-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

A couple things:
1) why is your idle speed w/AC off 700rpms? with that cam, if you have a manual tranny, it should not be less than stock, and 900 rpms would idle much better.
2) There is no name for how screwed up your base running airflow table is. It is definitely completely wrong.
3) Your VE tables scare me, they are so far off.
4) Your rev limits of 7200 rpms scare me as well. That engine won't last too long.
5) Your PE table probaby should not have been changed to do that.
6) Your timing is great for WOT, but part throttle sucks, since you changes most of it to 28s.
7) You may want to add a few degrees (I run 28) to your base timing tables in your idle speed area.
8) You may want to zere out your EGR spark correction table just in case.
9) You may want to zero out your spark retard vs. torque reduction table, again just in case.
10) Are you running stock injectors? Your IFR table doesn't look molested.

Your tune makes my eyes bleed. Sorry.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Do yourself a favor and check one of my recent BIN files. You may even be able to use my VE tables. My new ones are very nice. Here is a link:
http://users.adelphia.net/~someoneelse/98Z_12MAR.bin
Old 03-13-2005, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

I sure appreciate all of you taking the time to check things out for me. Like I said, about a year and 1/2 ago I gave $40 to a local tuner, Chris Marsh, of AMS motorsports. I just asked him raise the rev limiter for me at the drag strip one day. He sat in the car for a while, asked me what kind of spark plugs I was running, and then got out.

I suppose he changed more than the rev limiter...

My base airflow IS a flatline. Maybe that's why it has trouble idling when the MAF is unplugged.

I've got a lot of work and testing to do in the morning, and a lot of tables to reset.

I'll post up some new results by the end of the day Sunday. Thanks for everything.

-Kyle
Old 03-13-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cricket99SS
Now this is confusing. No tuning guide around says there is anything different about the 99's. They all say to edit the Primary VE Percent vs. RPM vs. MAP table.

In what years do you need to edit the secondary table to make changes rather than the primary?

Thanks for the help everyone!

-Kyle

I know how you feel. Would be nice of the Tuning 101 guys to update their stickies with this kind of odd ball information.

FWIW, I have a step-by-step guide, based off a lot of information I found on the internet for HPT, I've posted that fills in some of the gaps for SD Tuning. I have another post that is a different approach of rescaling you MAF when you're ready to hook it back up.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys. I started editing the primary VE table but made sure to copy the even numbered rows to the secondary; low and behold I finally started to see changes in my LTFTs.

I changed a lot of things after finding a stock tune on the internet. I can't believe how many things he changed just when I asked him to raise the rev limiter. It's no big deal though, I'm sure he was just trying to get the car to run better in the quick time he was in the car.

I'll post back if anything else changes.