PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MAF Table Spreadsheet and RAF Table

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reloaded...I'll give it a shot at lunch.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my spreadsheet uses calibration point -62 and +63, so a sample bin would look like:

2063(lo) <---- 2125(calibration point) ----> 2188

Look in the code, unlike Chad, I don't lock my formulas
Other than that, good job on the RAF stuff! You really prettied it up too.

So i'd like a general opinion here:
Guys, should we make it into an app, or should we keep it as a spreadsheet?
I am pushing Excel to its limits as far as pure excel functionality goes (as in no VB). I refuse to do VB in Excel, because then you are a victim to the limits of both. Also, I haven't touched Basic since 8bit ATARI Basic
I'm thinking of a Perl app, but compiled into a standalone. This way we have the power of normal programming language, but ease of use of any other script. I don't want people to copy, paste, filter, etc because that's just error prone (people make mistakes, computers don't). I want to be able to feed a raw csv and get a calibration on the other end, with NO other interaction. I want to do things like composite/historical data, automatic data cleanup, and other more advanced stuff, which excel is just really not suited for.
Or should we have two separate things--the pretty Chad spreadsheet for quick'n'dirty stuff, and my more advanced standalone app? I talked with Chat extensively yesterday, and we are doing a lot of the same things, but we have very different approaches to it, so I'm not sure where we should take it. I personally don't care, I can use it all, but eventually it is for you, The Peoples of HPT, that will use it, without the need to dive into the nasty details.
Let me know, as I am stuck right now contemplating what to do, I can go any way you want me to, so hint me in the right direction. Let's hear it!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I really don't care, either is fine with me. I have it locked so the formulas and such don't get altered. If anyone wants to see the code, just let me know and I'll PM or Email you the password.

I do appologize on the calibration aspect of your sheet, it is the same as mine then. Any ideas anyone has, let us know. We all are after the same goal here. What we are doing in these spreadsheets, other programs have built in. Maybe with 2.0 we can get rid of all these sheets.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i decided to try blogging :/ yea, i know, lame..but it actually might work well for this purpose, since it looks like there's 5 people that actually really look at this stuff intensly, and i hate to spread my thoughts between different boards. this is meant as 'thoughts and development quandries' sort of thing. the big results/releases i will post on boards as usual. check it out:

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/

i got some other writeups waiting to be finished, for right now it's just mostly experiment of how does this stuff work. oh yea, anyone can comment, so no need to register or any of that.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Also updated table to remove data. If RPM is below 499, then the row is deleted. If Frequency is under 1499, it removes that as well. Noticed on a few of my logs there was data within these conditions that skewed the graphs.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've started working on doing a per-cell-histogram based noise removal, that will take care of such cases automagically. more details hopefully later tonight in the blog
Old 03-15-2005, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Damn excel geeks
Old 03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can this table be used with autotap/LS1 Edit?
Phil
Old 03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't believe autotap has the pid needed for either one. If it does contain a Dynamic Airflow PID, then yes, send me a log and I can make it work for you. ATM it is only for HP Tuners.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody else prove this doesn't work yet?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Black02SS, i know you've been working on data cleanup, take a look at my newest stuff: http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, I am the Novice Tuner that doesnt want to mess anything up.

What does RAF stand for? (dynamic airflow values??)

What does this spreadsheet use to calculate the new table? Does it search through my pasted log sheet that I upload and then use the STIT and LTIT (p/n and gear) values to calculate the new table??

All it asks me to do is input my current RAF(??) table values into the spreadsheet and click calculate new table. What does it use to calculate these new values and how does it know where to get them from?

How do the STIT and LTIT values come into play?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
Alright, I am the Novice Tuner that doesnt want to mess anything up.

What does RAF stand for? (dynamic airflow values??)

What does this spreadsheet use to calculate the new table? Does it search through my pasted log sheet that I upload and then use the STIT and LTIT (p/n and gear) values to calculate the new table??

All it asks me to do is input my current RAF(??) table values into the spreadsheet and click calculate new table. What does it use to calculate these new values and how does it know where to get them from?

How do the STIT and LTIT values come into play?
RAF = Running AirFlow, aka Idle Airflow vs. ECT (in HPT, anyway)

Chad can elaborate on the code. It appears to average the LTIT+STIT values around each cell (so the 4800RPM cell might include values from 4770-4830), and create a new value based upon your current value.

I believe the first worksheet tells you which PID's to capture for all portions of the spreadsheet to work.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had troulbe formulating a table, readings were way to high. Probably user error though. I went ahead and switched to the GTO Table with decent success. I decreased 2000-2500hz by 3% and from 3000-10,000hz I increased the table by about 6%
Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
my spreadsheet uses calibration point -62 and +63, so a sample bin would look like:

2063(lo) <---- 2125(calibration point) ----> 2188

Look in the code, unlike Chad, I don't lock my formulas
Other than that, good job on the RAF stuff! You really prettied it up too.

So i'd like a general opinion here:
Guys, should we make it into an app, or should we keep it as a spreadsheet?
I am pushing Excel to its limits as far as pure excel functionality goes (as in no VB). I refuse to do VB in Excel, because then you are a victim to the limits of both. Also, I haven't touched Basic since 8bit ATARI Basic
I'm thinking of a Perl app, but compiled into a standalone. This way we have the power of normal programming language, but ease of use of any other script. I don't want people to copy, paste, filter, etc because that's just error prone (people make mistakes, computers don't). I want to be able to feed a raw csv and get a calibration on the other end, with NO other interaction. I want to do things like composite/historical data, automatic data cleanup, and other more advanced stuff, which excel is just really not suited for.
Or should we have two separate things--the pretty Chad spreadsheet for quick'n'dirty stuff, and my more advanced standalone app? I talked with Chat extensively yesterday, and we are doing a lot of the same things, but we have very different approaches to it, so I'm not sure where we should take it. I personally don't care, I can use it all, but eventually it is for you, The Peoples of HPT, that will use it, without the need to dive into the nasty details.
Let me know, as I am stuck right now contemplating what to do, I can go any way you want me to, so hint me in the right direction. Let's hear it!
I can make the VB thing happen

...let me know if you want to work on this
Old 04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

You guys haven't given up on this yet?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Why would we? Some have used this and reported back to me that it works great. I dunno.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Mine is close, I've made some adjustments and will do more testing today.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still stand by the belief that RAF portion only works if you set one condition at a time. ie park/nuet then drive. In order for this to work correctly you 1st need to let the ECT drop and log all the data in park/nuetral. Load the values into the RAF spreadsheet, and calculate the new values. Only copy the Park/Nuetral values back into your tune. Go inside and watch TV for four hours and let the car cool off again. After the ECt has dropped log the values again but this time in drive. Use the spreadsheet to calculate the values, and then copy the "in drive" values into your tune. Now load the new tune and you should be pretty damn close. The problem with changing both is simple. The spreadsheet is basically calculating your STIT, and LTIT's and coming up with new values. However your STIT's are not the same in park and drive. For example lets say that at 177 ECT in drive and my STIT is -.4 and my LTIT in Drive is -.1 This would give me a correction factor of -.5 for my in drive range. That calculates to a -3.79 g/sec correction to my RAF table in drive at 177*. OK great that should zero out my idle trims in drive...now for comparisions sake through that bitch in park, and watch what happens to the STIT's. They change!!! STIT's are not consistant in park and drive. What I'm getting at, is the spreadsheet is using one STIT value for correcting both the park and drive values. This can not be done. The spreadsheet can not determine weather your car is in park or drive. This will seriously scew your STIT data. Your STIT in Dive might be -.03 (damn near perfect), while your STIT at the same coolant temp might be .43 Sure you might get lucky on a less modded car and get it "close enough", but for us guys with big cammed cars "close enough" will not work. The only solution, and I have said this before, is to split the spread sheet up into two different sections. One for correcting the RAF in park (ie log values with low ECT, and fans off until the temp reaches 219* in PARK) and correct those values. Then make a serperate section for logging the same values in DRIVE. I have used the sheet in this way and it works damn near perfect. Black02SS please make this correction, it will make everyones life a whole lot easier. I am by no means an Excel expert, or I would change it myself and send you a copy to look over. Hopefully I explained it pretty good, I'm not real good at explaing things over the net. I wish I could show you an example.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:46 AM
12 Second Club

Testing shows my new maf table is almost identical to the one BLACK02ss's excel sheet created for me. So the excel sheets WILL get you very close then if you are a perfectionist like me, you can tweak till you are happy.

Quick Reply: New MAF Table Spreadsheet and RAF Table