Sponsored by:

Who tunes with only STFT's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
What horist said.

Make sure your LTFT's are within +/- 10 before turning them off and using your STFT's to tune. This is the method I use, and lemme tell ya, it's a hell of a lot quicker and less of a headache.

When using STFT's there is no trim resetting to be done, as STFT's are not "learned". They are a second by second fueling adjustment that the PCM uses based on what the O2's are showing. I will typically log for 10 minutes, then adjust the VE table, then log another 10, etc. Using this method, I was able to get my VE table adjusted so that all my STFT's average between +/- 3 in less than an hour.

When you're done, just re-enable your LTFT's. Once they learn out, they should all be very close to 0.

On my 2000 I installed long tubes, gutted cats, and a cat back. After the exhaust I dynoed the car and was a bit rich, 12.2ish. I just installed the LS6 intake and did a data log. My LTFT's were between 7 and 10 in the red (positive???) using HP Tuners.

Should I start playing with all this STFT and VE tuning? Theoretically the same volume engine is now more efficient but is the change enough to warrant me changing the tables?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
On my 2000 I installed long tubes, gutted cats, and a cat back. After the exhaust I dynoed the car and was a bit rich, 12.2ish. I just installed the LS6 intake and did a data log. My LTFT's were between 7 and 10 in the red (positive???) using HP Tuners.

Should I start playing with all this STFT and VE tuning? Theoretically the same volume engine is now more efficient but is the change enough to warrant me changing the tables?
Yes. Your LTFT's are saying that much. With them that high, the PCM is also adding fuel at WOT making it richer. Since your LTFT's are not greater than +10, just tune using your STFT's and you should be where you need to be pretty quickly.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While in SD mode my histogram quit logging after I reset the trims, what could be wrong?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperC1
While in SD mode my histogram quit logging after I reset the trims, what could be wrong?
Nevermind, found the problem....

Last edited by SuperC1; 04-27-2005 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Who tunes with only STFT's?