PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I got it. If anyone links to the threads I started and posted above, you will see I asked about flashing a stock tune back and going from there. I actually wanted to do it with mine too, but I havent had any issues, just good results. I DL a stock tune from Horist's Bin Spot and will be using in a couple hours, and of course I will update this as soon as I know. I was worried that maybe there was some issues I didnt get results on search button, thats why I posted.
And as for email Ken or anyone else, I know they dont have a phone listed and figure if I had a AA problem I would not call the director, I would look to my support group, in this case, LS1Tech.com is my group therapy (however the wife feels its the main addiction for which I need therapy!).

Charlie

Last edited by CAT3; 04-29-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Restricted User

Ok, if this isn't right tell me know. I downloaded a stock tune, changed the VIN # to match the car in question, modified the timing table and idle rpm to get it to idle (MS3 in a A4). Put it in, and other than it was having a harder time idling, no change. Still pops and spits and LTFTs barely change at all, seems the STFTs only change when it goes into a different FTC.
I did note, that it would set a DTC that I had disabled, and kept resetting it, P0412 Ref: AIR Secondary Circuit ..... I checked and it was still disabled. Also, right after flashing it would not scan, kept saying trying to reconnect, no dice. Finally after a few tries it started logging. Basically everything looks the same results as the tune that was in it.
IPW B1 6.5
IPW B2 8.1
LTFT B1 -10
LTFT B2 +22

Why would it be in FTC 22 during a light load, part throttle, low speed, and rpm? It was in cell 22 for some time, then changed to 8, 12, and back to 22, basically cruising down the highway it stayed in those three primarily. It still seems that when it changes from cell to cell it dumps the Learned Trim> Went from -10/+22 @ 22, to cell 8 -1.6/+25 slowly moved down, then went back to cell 22 and -1.6/+25 and slowly came back down to -10/+22.

OS is same as initially read, although the checksums did change in some of the tables, the only Checksums constant were OS and Fuel, is that normal?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Restricted User

Latest update, tried a stock tune, modified tune HC, and a couple others, they all acted the same way, massive raw fuel smell, spitting and sputtering and wont idle. I was wanting to rewrite the entire PCM instead of normal write tune, so waiting now on confirmation. If that doesnt work I am headed to another friends house with said PCM in hand to try it in his 02, if his runs the same, time for new PCM. At this point I am praying the Entire ReWrite works and if not hoping the PCM swap yields confirmation of a fried PCM cuz this thing is killing me! Never had any issue like this. *frustrated to wits end, almost*
Old 04-29-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Operator error.

Why didn't I think of that

HPT RULES, thanks for all the help
Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Restricted User

Andrew, stop being a sarcastic ***! I am working this **** the best I can man.

BTW, I rewrote the entire VCM and no luck. Next ditch effort swap the PCM into another 02' and hope it acts the same way, then I'll know the PCM is a new paperweight If not, then this thing is for sale, anyone want a 2002 NBM SS with Gremlins
Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drew778
Why didn't I think of that

HPT RULES, thanks for all the help
Glad I could help

Just an FYI.......you get better results when you don't start your thread being a *****
Old 04-30-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Glad I could help

Just an FYI.......you get better results when you don't start your thread being a *****

No we didn't, so I went to the extreme

How would you feel if you went from a car that ran 11.6 n/a to a car that won't even stay running on its own, burns a 1/4 tank of gas driving around the block.

The only thing different was a HPT tuning with a few little adjustment
Old 04-30-2005, 04:08 AM
Restricted User

Well, the night is long and I am still troubleshooting things. A VCM Rewrite may actually be working, but I have to wait, the neighbors dont like a TD w/ dumps semi race car throttling at almost midnight! Working more issues tomorrow.

When my lil brother said we, I think he was talking about the mouse in his pocket. Cereally though, he is a nice guy and always helps ppl out, just super frustrated with everything going on since I got back from Afghan and all.

No more internet tough guy routine for you Drew!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

You need to do a full re write. Stop fooling around with the calibrations writes. Edit and Tuners wirtes different. Edit wirtes the whole PCM everytime. If it corrupted something outside the calibration or anything like that HPT wont touch it if you are only re writing the calbrations. Do a full reflash and be doen with it
Old 04-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Restricted User

HumpinSS, look yo four or so posts. Did the full re write, after assistance via pm with someone and no luck. Will be looking into other things this morning.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been having similar problem with my own personal car. After reflashing the Pcm with hptuners and tuning it with edit (long story)
I was getting an extreme lean condition on throttle tip in. AFR seemed fine WOT. Cold starts are a nightmare. I had not clue what was up. Since everything was done when I put in the new engine I didn't know what the problem was.
After reading this post I went to a dealership today and had my PCM reflashed back to stock. Did a read with edit and programed the idle,injectors and speedometer etc.
Car drives around perfect now. No problems at all on throttle tip in. Seems way more responsive.

Funny thing is I would never have expected a problem with the software had I not read this post.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Restricted User

Brent, my last ditch effort is to check rail fuel pressure, and then swap injectors in an effort to resolve this POS problem. I am happy to report, I have done a lot of "cleaning" up, and getting things organized. Tomorrow will be the fuel system and if that doesnt work, I will be getting this thing reflashed at the dealer.
Curious, did you try to put a "stock" tune back into your car before taking it to the dealer? I tried one of the "stock" tunes from the .bin repository, and used it in conjunction with Rewriting the VCM, but didnt work!

Charlie
Old 04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAT3
Brent, my last ditch effort is to check rail fuel pressure, and then swap injectors in an effort to resolve this POS problem. I am happy to report, I have done a lot of "cleaning" up, and getting things organized. Tomorrow will be the fuel system and if that doesnt work, I will be getting this thing reflashed at the dealer.
Curious, did you try to put a "stock" tune back into your car before taking it to the dealer? I tried one of the "stock" tunes from the .bin repository, and used it in conjunction with Rewriting the VCM, but didnt work!

Charlie
I did not have a stock tune for my car. We have deal ls1edit. Where I used to work had dealer hptuners. (I also had my own edit cable.)
I wanting to start from scratch with the new combination so I had my friend load up a stock file and put my vin on it.
Our dyno is not in place so I was just playing with it on the street trying to get it close. But was having the lean throttle tip in problems I mentioned above as well as a cold start problem.You had to hold your foot on the gas to start it when the engine was cold. and then it sounded like on two 3 cylinders were running till it warmed up. Funny thing is would not throw any codes.
I went to the dealer and had them reflash it back to stock after reading of your similar problems. And started from scratch..30 minutes later it idles like a champ and starts cold perfect. No lean throttle tip in either. I wouldn't worry about the other stuff and have the dealer reflash it.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Brent
Old 05-01-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks to you guys. If you all wouldn't have posted this I would have never known why I having that problem.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Restricted User

Will find out tomorrow, and if thats its, great! Appreciate the chime in. Charlie
Old 05-01-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Well, since the dealers aren't open until Monday, we're going to use a friends PCM out of his '02 Z-28 A4 with a all stock tune.

If that doesn't work the car is going off a cliff
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Andrew
Do you want to try & use the HPP3 to flash in the stock/performance tune? Just throwing out another option to you. Let me know. Good luck buddy!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Restricted User

nuzee, HPP3 and Diablo, and most likely any other tuning software will always leave some kind of trace in the data. Once Tony gets here, hopefully we can swap PCMs and see a marked difference, which would be the same as having a Dealer reflash the PCM, totally new stock tune. *crossing fingers*
Old 05-01-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe thats the problem, going from HPP3 to Predator to LS1 edit and now to HPT

Quick Reply: Problem with HP Tuners