Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

--- 3 --- Whats this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default --- 3 --- Whats this mean?

What does this mean in TCC mode? Im trying to see if im locking under wot?

It has

Off
Apply
Release
Off

and sometiems I get this --- 3 --- ?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure what ---3--- means, one easy way to see if the torque converter is trying to couple at WOT is to log the Converter slip Speed

When my trans was having problems last year... somehow fluid was going through the input shaft at WOT under high torque... so it was mechanically trying to lock

if you log it and it's really low 0-100 or maybe even 200 then it's probably trying to lock (which is something you don't want unless you have a converter designed to do this... otherwise you'll be seeing torque converter clutch material in the filter soon)
Old 05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

I have a multidisc 3600. I want it to lock at the beginning of 2nd and stay locked throught 3rd is what vig told me. I thought I had it tuned to do it but under wot is says

off
off
-3-
-3-

I would assume if it was locked it would say locked however.. Maybe it means trying to lock or something.

Slip speed? I dont see that..
Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Is that slip rpm?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Is that slip rpm?
yup slip RPM, Transmission -> TCC -> TCC Sip RPM

-3- could mean the 3rd option ... just not putting Locked in place?

but monitoring your slip RPM will tell you for sure
Old 05-16-2005, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

i think it means some/all..few conditions have been met for tcc lockup
Old 05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Every time I try to post part of the numbers it puts it in a long line. Is there a way to post them on here w/o doing that? ..

60-75 is where is starts showing the -3-'s and it seems to get to around 100-200 range for the rpm slip but then it says off for the shift then when the starts saying -3- again its about 800 rpms. I assume w/ that much slip im losing some mph. I have been doing pretty bad in roll racing since the converter so im trying to fix it.

At part throttle I can definetly feel a difference when it locks up. Should I be able to feel it during WOT?

Im going to play w/ a few settings and go run again.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

That pretty much means the PCM is starting the process to lock up the TCC. Once it is LOCKED then the TCC is actually locked. The trans needs to build up the proper pressure to actually lock up the TCC, from my experience. What you can do is reduce the time it takes to lock it up by either increased line pressure or (IIRC) there is a variable for the time to lock up the TCC. You will not be able to lock the TCC during a shift, the F-body PCM (or the trans) was not designed to hold the TCC locked during shifts. GM Trucks have that ability becuase they are designed to tow, but now passenger cars. So locking the TCC in second won't do you any good if the trans needs to shift to third. You can lock it up manually, but I don't know how that works (if it will stay locked). Good luck!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Is locking a converter through all of 2nd beneficial?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
That pretty much means the PCM is starting the process to lock up the TCC. Once it is LOCKED then the TCC is actually locked. The trans needs to build up the proper pressure to actually lock up the TCC, from my experience. What you can do is reduce the time it takes to lock it up by either increased line pressure or (IIRC) there is a variable for the time to lock up the TCC. You will not be able to lock the TCC during a shift, the F-body PCM (or the trans) was not designed to hold the TCC locked during shifts. GM Trucks have that ability becuase they are designed to tow, but now passenger cars. So locking the TCC in second won't do you any good if the trans needs to shift to third. You can lock it up manually, but I don't know how that works (if it will stay locked). Good luck!
Thanks, I assume I really need a shift kit then so the pressure will be a bit higher. I raised the pressure by tuning using jimmy blue's files, so I suppose tunning cant provide the proper pressure.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm I increased the max line pressure to 98 and it still didnt do anything. I have been playing around with it and its slipping more like 600-800rpm.

I did get it to lock at wot while pushing the vcm lock button. It seems to do it instantly then. Im not sure what im doing wrong, Ill post the excel sheet tonight.

thanks for the help.