PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed rear O2 sims, not throwing a code?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed rear O2 sims, not throwing a code?

I decided to remove the rear O2 sims while changing the oil on Saturday and my car still hasn't tripped any codes. I have driving it every day since then, and verified that the codes aren't disabled in my HPT .bin. The rear O2 plugs are just zip-tied out of the way and the connectors are empty.

Any reason this would be happening? Other than the fact that my car needs an exorcism?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the rear codes are still enabled... they'll probably set over time... I'm not sure what the driving cycles required are though

Are yoiu doing a SD tune right now and or open loop tune now? if so that's prolly it... wouldn't make sense for the PCM to set CAT codes if it's in Open loop... SD i'm not sure though...

How about your other readiness tests... they completed? (if the PCM doesn't look for a bad cat in SD and /or Open Loop... i'd imagine it won't pass any other tests either cause it's not even lookin?)
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never threw AIR, EGR, or rear O2 codes... Can we say modded before? My codes were off... lol
Old 05-17-2005, 05:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by horist
Since the rear codes are still enabled... they'll probably set over time... I'm not sure what the driving cycles required are though

Are yoiu doing a SD tune right now and or open loop tune now? if so that's prolly it... wouldn't make sense for the PCM to set CAT codes if it's in Open loop... SD i'm not sure though...

How about your other readiness tests... they completed? (if the PCM doesn't look for a bad cat in SD and /or Open Loop... i'd imagine it won't pass any other tests either cause it's not even lookin?)
I'm currently doing closed-loop SD tuning with the stock O2 sensors. That's an interesting point about them not being checked in SD mode, I'll have to check that theory out and report back. The only code I've set so far is P0103 for the MAF sensor fail.

I'll report back later with the findings. It probably won't be until after this weekend though, my tune looks pretty good right now and I don't want to screw anything up before I go to the track on Saturday.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
I never threw AIR, EGR, or rear O2 codes... Can we say modded before? My codes were off... lol
That's the very first thing that came to my mind too... I was kind of relieved to see that the codes were still enabled.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

I think it's normal and all cars are going to be different.
I just put headers in a few weeks ago and it took about 45+ miles before my ses light came on. I know someone who drove for several weeks (200 miles +) before it tripped the code.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I removed my EGR, AIR and Cats when I did my LT/ORY install a few months back. Not running O2 sims... Had the car scanned with HPTuners a couple weeks ago and the only code that was being thrown was for EGR
Old 06-18-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot all about this thread... I did end up enabling my MAF again and the code appeared very soon afterwards. The SD tuning did prevent the missing rear O2's from setting a code on my car.