PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security thing car wont start sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Security thing car wont start sometimes.

I had this one code "Anti-theft fuel something" When i converted to m6 this code appeared and its the a4 harness thats still on the car. So i had the code deleted about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Since i had that code deleted my car sometimes wont start and all that comes on is my security light in the gauges and it seems to cut off the fuel but when i wait alittle and turn the car it starts right up. Would the anti-theft fuel code cause me not to pass emssions? Anyone have any answers to this weird crap? Once the car is started it drives and feels fine
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're setting an SES I believe it will cause OBDII emissions failure... as for not starting sometimes... I'd try cleaning the resistor in your key...

I disabled VATs completely in my car to avoid issues in the future

If there's still a problem... may be a problem w/the BCM providing a bad ground to the fuel relay?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

I dont have an SES light on thats the weird thing. I took it to emssions and the plugged it in and unplugged it and said "You didnt fail but you didnt pass there's to many codes" So a dumb looking appears on my face like "huh". He said monitors or something have to reset in order for the car to be ready for emssions. The last time anything was hooked up to the car was 2weeks ago for a few codes. So he said drive it for a week in a normal manner and then come back. but i dont know if the Security crap is causing me not to pass. None of this security stuff started until i had the anti-theft fuel something code deleted.

Last edited by JayBirdWs6; 05-25-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmm... best bet is to hookup a scanner and see if there's an DTCs being set... if the codes are removed properly they should not set a DTC and the readiness monitors should all go ready...

but if the codes were changed to just not show an SES light (but are still enabled and still set an SES light, just w/out illuminating the MIL) then that could be a prob...

Do you have access to any of the scanners that show you the state of your readiness tests?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by horist
hmmm... best bet is to hookup a scanner and see if there's an DTCs being set... if the codes are removed properly they should not set a DTC and the readiness monitors should all go ready...

but if the codes were changed to just not show an SES light (but are still enabled and still set an SES light, just w/out illuminating the MIL) then that could be a prob...

Do you have access to any of the scanners that show you the state of your readiness tests?
I dont but a friend of mine has ls1edit and hptuner. I'll have him hook up the computer and see what it is reading.. Thanks for your help man, It helped me think alittle more.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

excellent.. HP Tuners scanner will tell you if your readiness tests are complte, and if there's an DTCs set that aren't setting the MIL (SES light)
Old 05-25-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by horist
excellent.. HP Tuners scanner will tell you if your readiness tests are complte, and if there's an DTCs set that aren't setting the MIL (SES light)
Thanks man, I'll have him check it out tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
I dont but a friend of mine has ls1edit and hptuner. I'll have him hook up the computer and see what it is reading.. Thanks for your help man, It helped me think alittle more.
You might want to have your friend just delete the vats from your pcm. A buddy of mine had a problem like that with his S-10. Sometimes it wouldn't start and the security light would come on. An hour later it would be fine. The code being set is the BCM not receiving the proper value from your key/ignition cylinder. My friend never got his completely fixed, and ended up selling it after it left him stranded a couple of times. If you can just delete vats you will avoid anymore problems with it.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poolshark021
If you can just delete vats you will avoid anymore problems with it.
What is VATS? I need help bad, I'm already missing work today for this same problem, it has to stop. Are you sure deleting VATS will fix it?