Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hp tuners keeps losing connection, getting very frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hp tuners keeps losing connection, getting very frustrating

well i went out to log some stuff today and the damn thing kept on saying attempting to reconnect or it wouldnt connect at all. what things should i look at? all my connnections are tight, the wires have not been pulled at all, hell they are still wraped up like they cameexcept for the obd connection i made it longer and left the rest tied up. it just sits in my car so its not moving around or anything.

i have a feeling its from the serial port connection but i dont knwo why it woudl be there, it seems like if i mess with that it gets connection back. would hte wires just come loose in there? like i said it never moves. i might just go get another from the store, or find one around here
Old 06-11-2005, 04:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you make your OBD cable longer?

What vehicle are you working on?

What are your laptop specs?

Could be a bad serial or obd cable (if you modified it).
Old 06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

im guessing he means he unwrapped that one a little and wrapped it back up. not cutting it and making it longer.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

no i didnt modify it, by lengthen it i meant i undid some of the rubber band lol sorry for the confusion, it is exactly how i got it from you all. computer, i dont really know, it has a serial port and is running windows 2000. i havent had issues with it until lately, last few weeks.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
no i didnt modify it, by lengthen it i meant i undid some of the rubber band lol sorry for the confusion, it is exactly how i got it from you all. computer, i dont really know, it has a serial port and is running windows 2000. i havent had issues with it until lately, last few weeks.

Could be a bad (intermittent) serial cable.
Any cable that gets over stressed will eventually break the wires inside of it.
Try doing a read then start flexing the serial and OBDII cable. If it quits, then thats the spot that has gone bad.

Look for odd things like bulges,flat spots (especially near the molded connector).

Ken
Old 06-11-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok thanks, i did notice it got better when i flexed it at the serial port end of the cable, computer side. its just odd becuase the cable stays in my car and doesnt get moved too much, maybe it was just a loose wire in the first place? its just strange
Old 06-11-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine started doing that in the last month or so too. I found it would do it if I had the table display and chart display open at the same time while logging. If I would have only the table display open, it would stay connected for as long as I would log. It started doing it while logging a 03 Chevy truck on the dyno and again on a 02 SS logging while driving. As soon as I would close the chart display, the problem would go away, so that pretty much says the cable is OK.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmm maybe ill try that out, although i think it did that before i even opened any window
Old 06-11-2005, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

2xLS1,

Yours sounds like an overhead issue. How many things do you have running in the background? If you are low on ram, or your laptop goes into a slower mode on battery it may not be able to keep up with the data. Try lowering the com port RX buffer settings.

300 mhz PC or Laptop (Recommended for Scanner), 64 MB of RAM ,16 MB of Disk Space is the minimum. If the machine is getting tied up doing a bunch of other tasks it will have a hard time with the redraw rate on the chart display.

Ken
Old 06-11-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine has met all the specs so i think mine is just a cable issue

one more question though, i notice some blips in mine when logging, some of the time all the numbers go to 0 or far negarive (assuming if its all of them its the connection issue) but sometimes the fuel trims will just drop to 0 mostly short term, and the others will stay the same, what would cause the stft's to go to -100?

im gonna see if i can try another serial cable if i have one sitting around
Old 06-11-2005, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
mine has met all the specs so i think mine is just a cable issue

one more question though, i notice some blips in mine when logging, some of the time all the numbers go to 0 or far negarive (assuming if its all of them its the connection issue) but sometimes the fuel trims will just drop to 0 mostly short term, and the others will stay the same, what would cause the stft's to go to -100?

im gonna see if i can try another serial cable if i have one sitting around

It's not uncommon for the VCM to drop packets while scanning. Scan data is the last priority on the list of things to do. You are also scanning at the highest rate the VCM can handle. If it has to talk to other modules on the car, that data comes first.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok got ya, thanks.

i like the fact that 2 guys from hp tuners come in to help out with the problems, helps to keep a lot of guessing out of things, thanks guys
Old 06-12-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am also experiencing connection difficulties for a first time... E-mail sent to support@hptuners. Can you guys get back to me ASAP! thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Mine started doing that in the last month or so too. I found it would do it if I had the table display and chart display open at the same time while logging. If I would have only the table display open, it would stay connected for as long as I would log. It started doing it while logging a 03 Chevy truck on the dyno and again on a 02 SS logging while driving. As soon as I would close the chart display, the problem would go away, so that pretty much says the cable is OK.
Yes I also have that problem too!It keeps disconnecting and connecting it self when I have the LTFT Histogram
Old 06-12-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mine does the same thing. i know its my slow laptop.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Former Moderator :(

I have had problems like this if the vehicle has a aftermarket stereo, Pull the radio and radio amp fuse to see if this is the problem.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

my radio is totally stock...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

i had this issue. it was a bad serial cable.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have also seen bad modules like ABS modules or Radio's cause problems in these vehicles as well.

If you are using a slower computer and see a lot of problems, try logging without the Chart display open and see if that helps.

Also, intermittent serial cables are another.

Those are probably the top 3 reasons for connectivity issues.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine has been determined as the serial cables. seems like a lot of bad ones. its hard not to bend those things when they are in your car.