PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMISSIONS! HELP!!!!!! o2 Simulators?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMISSIONS! HELP!!!!!! o2 Simulators?

PLEASE READ! I need HELP. Well it's DEQ time for me and i failed. I deleted my EGR, AIR, and i'm running an ORY. I had my tuner in Washington tune out the codes so there's no SES light showing. Well the problem is that on an OBD Test you can't have more than 2 Unready systems. I have 3 unready's....Catalyst, Evaporative, and O2 Heater. My question is...can i just buy some O2 simulators for the rear o2 sensors that way i can pass with 2 unreadys? I'm assuming the 02 simulators would take off the "Catalyst" unready code and show it as ready. ANy other suggestions?! LMK PLEASE!!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if the codes have been deleted properly your readyness status should pass. A common error is to turn the ses light off but not turn off error reporting for the codes being thrown. Also, how long after getting the codes turned off did you go get tested? My car has taken up to a week to pass all its own test, even though I dont have egr, air, cats ect.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ what he said
properly tuned it should have the SES set to no error reported.

But it then takes driving time to get all them to pass... It took me about 3-4 cold starts, w/several warm starts and about 30 miles driving to get all but evap ready
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (09-15-2020)
Old 06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

did you all use HP Tuners to delete your codes?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

I've driven for nearly 80 miles and then taken it to DEQ, status is still "unready" on all 3 of those. My Tuner used HP Tuners...is there anything he could be missing?!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Just wondering because we are about to go through similar testing in Austin...If the sensors have been deleted and they are not able to read anything how can they show anything BUT "unready".

The SES may not show and it may not throw any codes, but when the computer testing the car tests all of the sensors and tries to get feedback from it, won't the sensor have an "unready" reading regardless?

When using the O2 sims the simulator shows a fabricated reading to make the computer think everything is alright all of the time, but it gives a reading, right?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

in HP TUners
For each code in question, I marked them "Does not report error" but I left the actual code turned on (there's an option for error reporting, and an option to turn the SES off)

After several cold and warm starts all but evap when ready

I don't have CATs, AIR or EGR and passed with flying colors tuning this way

From my understanding... the PCM goes through a series of tests... some tests can report an error... if an error isn't reported then the PCM assumes that the test passed and marks the readiness test ready ... so by setting each SES code so that it doesn't report an error... the PCM thinks everything's A-OK and is happy

I just passed IL emissions a month ago
Old 06-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Cool, thanks.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

The 02 Simms will output a DC square wave that toggles above and below 450mV. Last time I looked at mine on EFI Live it went from 350 mV to 700mV, but 450mV is the nominal value it must toggle past. The PCM is looking for the pre cat 02 sensor value to be REDUCED by the cat. When the post cat sensor reads the value the amplitude should be REDUCED. I guess it is a form of a comparator circuit. As long as the post cat value is less than the pre cat value the PCM says: "The cats are working".

Quick Reply: EMISSIONS! HELP!!!!!! o2 Simulators?