PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF could i have done to my car???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF could i have done to my car???

Well long story short i put in a set of solid motor mounts. Took me a total of three nights working a few hours a night and was a PITA to say the least.

Well after it was all done, i took the car for a drive. It is down on power A LOT!!! And if i start driving and then put it back in neutral, the rpms hang at 2000 and wont come down until i am at a complete stop with the e-brake on and then they come down to about 1500 or so. Could i have erased the iac's ability to function properly when i disconnected my battery?

I am not throwing a SES light, and am also getting a really weird vibration that i think is exhaust related (i think the header is hitting the k-member).
Or maybe it could be the exhaust now resting on the torque arm.

Any ideas on what might have happened? At one point i set the motor down on the k-member with only passenger side motor mount installed. could it have crushed the front of the pan up? Maybe the crank is aerating the oil there? Maybe i pinched a wire to a sensor that wouldn't throw a check engine light?

What is going on?

Nate
Old 07-03-2005, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

solid motor mounts may have created a false knock problem??? hrmm No clue about the idle issue
Old 07-03-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Solid motor are causing tons of false KR I'm sure.

Unless your a trailerd drag car solid motor mounts are unnecessary.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned

not a trailered drag car, you're saying it is knock retard only??? why in the world would my rpm's hang like they do then???

Also the car is tuned speed density open loop (not fully tuned yet) and i believe when my buddy was tuning my car he reset the knock retard so that it would pull 0 degrees (maybe im talking out of my ***?)

Nate
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have your buddy log what your car is doing when the idle hangs. Then come back with that info.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Banned

Unfortunately my buddy took off for a 6 month cruise (We're all navy chucks) and wont be back until november.

My battery just died though and after doing some serious searching that would hopefully stop the weird idle issue.

Once i get efilive here in a few weeks i'll just tune out the knock sensors entirely, hell i've never seen it knock before today.

Nate
Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made my solid mounts out of aluminum with an 1/8" thick hard rubber washer on top.
With 11.5:1 compression, I have logged 20 times at WOT and have not seen a knock yet.
Maybe you tweaked to O2 sensors or the wiring harness somewhere.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by racecar
I made my solid mounts out of aluminum with an 1/8" thick hard rubber washer on top.
With 11.5:1 compression, I have logged 20 times at WOT and have not seen a knock yet.
Maybe you tweaked to O2 sensors or the wiring harness somewhere.
I think the problem is from the exhaust hitting the k-member, i'm going to go out today with a big ******* hammer and adjust it so that it doesnt hit the k-member anymore.

Also i think it's my alternator that took a **** because when i do get my car started it only shows 10.5 volts on the dummy gauge.

BTW, what type of numbers are you making at the wheels???

Nate
Old 07-04-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

i got no knock when my exhaust hit the k member
Old 07-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i got no knock when my exhaust hit the k member
I have solid motor mounts though. I don't know if that could affect anything but i think that's the problem. Besides my exhaust didn't hit the k-member with the stockers in place, i think the sphohn pieces are a little taller or the stockers wore down over time

nate
Old 07-04-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

im just saying though that the exhaust hitting didnt effect mine, i went with the poly motor mounts so its was pretty stiff, nothing like solids but pretty stiff. i have yet to see timing pulled from exhaust hitting on any of the cars i have messed with. there would have to be some high frequency vibrations to trip the snesors i would think, nothing like a low pitch knock
Old 07-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Banned

what would happen if my electrical system took a ****? Say the alternator goes out on me and im running at 11 or 12 volts? Would that weaken the spark and in turn lose power and cause it to break up pretty bad? That's what im thinking it is

Nate
Old 07-04-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

it could
Old 07-04-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That and the fuel pump and injectors wouldn't be working right either. That happened on my buddy's car one time when the alternator went out, we were driving on battery power as far as we could and it felt like the car was running on 1 cylinder. We were chugging along at 10 mph in a 45 with the car jerking back and forth. That was some funny ****.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by P Mack
That and the fuel pump and injectors wouldn't be working right either. That happened on my buddy's car one time when the alternator went out, we were driving on battery power as far as we could and it felt like the car was running on 1 cylinder. We were chugging along at 10 mph in a 45 with the car jerking back and forth. That was some funny ****.
Ok i think i might have fixed it...when was removing the alternator the voltage regulator wire got ripped out and the alternator wasn't charging and was just running on 12 volts. So i just repaired it and im about to fire it up in a second.

Nate
Old 07-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

I Fixed it! I am an idiot and ripped out the voltage regulator wire. Repinned the connector and ran a longer wire and now it runs fine!

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Nate
Old 07-04-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha, least it was easy!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Scan that thing and see if you get any knocks. I don't think that solid mounts will have any effect. I was concerned that my forged pistons would cause knock but not a one yet. At first I was putting in 5 gallons of 104 unleaded race fuel in every tank. Now it is straight super unleaded and still no knocks with 11.5 to 1. The chamber design of the LS6 head must be awesome. Dyno numbers later!!