PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoothing VE Table after SD Tuning With FlashScan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking Smoothing VE Table after SD Tuning With FlashScan?

I am almost finished my SD tuning and was wondering how much (% wise) should I smooth my VE Table? I am using FlashScan. If I use 100% the numbers change a lot. Right now it is spikey. SHould I just select 800 to 4000 or select the whole table?

Bill
Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get close enough with the VE table to where your STFT's are all slightly negative, I wouldn't smooth the VE that much at all. The reason is, the PCM interpolates the value it's looking for by not only looking at the cell your in, but the cells around it as well. So, as I understand it, it's doing it's own "smoothing" if you will. I believe the best time to use the smoothing function is early on in your tuning. After a couple scans, you'll just start chasing your tail because the smoothing function will decrease cells that are close to perfect giving you positive trims and vice versa. The way I went at it was, roughly select the cells you hit while the PCM is commanding stoich (use your filters). Then I would smooth those no more than 35~40%. For the cells on the edges (i.e. 400rpm row and 15kpa column), I used Excel to figure out the percentage difference between the stock values and the current values of the rows/columns next to them. Then, made the edge cells that same difference from stock since we never really record any data in those cells. For example, if the 800rpm/45kpa cell was 4% less than stock in my current VE table, I made the 400rpm/45kpa cell 4% less than its stock value as well. As a result, the values in the 800rpm row/20kpa column aren't as spikey due to that interpolation factor I mentioned earlier. When it comes to WOT, I go by what the wideband says and do very little hand smoothing. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

If the car has a tendancy to buck smoothing (by hand) the ve table will stop it from doing that...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I smoothed the VE table just a bit, but I did it by hand. I got it to where it doesn't look too spikey, but it's nothing in comparison to how smooth the high octane spark table looks for eg.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The table doesn't need to be baby *** smooth like tech mentioned. Here is what I do and it seems to work.

1) Apply your BEN to the VE table.
2) Smooth a nice square section around the cells that you hit. I use 50%
3) Re-log and re-apply your BEN
4) Smooth by about 25%
5) repeat step 3
6) Now your BEN should be between .98-1.02 I will then hand smooth the entire table. This point is tediious but it does help the bucking on throttle transitions.
7) repeat step 3
8) Do a quick smooth by 15% and repeat till the BEN is between .98-1.02 (Get it as close to 1.00 as you can. The closer the better.

This is the process that I use and it works great. If you want I would have no problem hand smoothing yours to get it close.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black02SS
The table doesn't need to be baby *** smooth like tech mentioned. Here is what I do and it seems to work.

1) Apply your BEN to the VE table.
2) Smooth a nice square section around the cells that you hit. I use 50%
3) Re-log and re-apply your BEN
4) Smooth by about 25%
5) repeat step 3
6) Now your BEN should be between .98-1.02 I will then hand smooth the entire table. This point is tediious but it does help the bucking on throttle transitions.
7) repeat step 3
8) Do a quick smooth by 15% and repeat till the BEN is between .98-1.02 (Get it as close to 1.00 as you can. The closer the better.

This is the process that I use and it works great. If you want I would have no problem hand smoothing yours to get it close.
Thanks I will give this method a try.

Bill

Quick Reply: Smoothing VE Table after SD Tuning With FlashScan?