Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Tuning writeup

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb Idle Tuning writeup

Please comment extensively, this is very much work in progress.

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...le-tuning.html
Old 08-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well written, as can be expected from you!
Any details on adjusting the IAC Effective Area for stock & drilled/set-screwed guys? This confirms my desire to start with a stock tune and redo it all over instead of the mess I have going on now. Thanks. Charlie
Old 08-21-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

what else do you plan to include in here. i think you should stress some importance of order of changes when fine tuning. i guess noone cared about the last write up i did so if you want more of the info i added in there let me know, people seem to check yours out more tahn mine...

now those ford 42#ers in that bocsh sheet you dug up has different ratings in there if im not mistaken, ill have to compair to the numbers you put up on there. my setting for 62 psi rail pressure are about 50 lb/hr

cat3, what do you need to know aobut IAC effective area? i would recommned putting it to stock and working from there. i am trying to work out a spread sheet that will build a table but i suck at that special **** in excel.

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 08-21-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job.
You might note that Effective Area is for F-bodies. For C5's use B4349 ETC in EFI Flashscan and Electronic throttle area scaler in HPT.
Joe
Old 08-21-2005, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Another popular injector is the morton 60 #'s . I would like to see those numbers
Old 08-21-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

as long as you know the injector flowed pressure you can put it in an excel sheet and calculate it, those are the easy ones, the fords have 2 or 3 pressure ratings they talk about
Old 08-21-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

looks good. im no expert by any means, but under target idle rpm, don't u usually set the idle 25 or so rpms higher with the AC on?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Excellent work RHS!

Not many people realize how much time and effort it takes to put a document like this together.

In the very near future, I will be attempting to get my bird to idle at 700. If I find anything to add to your doc, I'll email it to you.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

for all you guys needing help on effective area, hopefully RHS can come up with some excel sheet for calculating. im not too good at data look up but he seems to know hit excel **** lol im just trying to give him a simplified version of how i make my changes with a half *** spread sheet and hope he can make sense of it
Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Restricted User

I was shifting cells right like many of us here, but just like the RAF's, I am psoitive using math (which I totally suck at) you can derive a sheet to calculate the new values per cell, instead of using the same numbers and shifting. Hopefully.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, dont shift its totally worthless. the way i do it by hand is easier said than done. if you have logs you can send me i can show you but what you want to do is if the dynamic airflow is lower than the desired airflow you want to add to the effective area table. on mine, there was a point where the desired and dynamic crossed, from this point i started to slowly add until the point where it looked like the difference kinda steadied out between the 2 airflow values. for every g/sec the difference in the airflow, i figured up about 15 iac steps. each combo will be different but after you play with it you will get the hang of how much you should change it. if my words are too confusing email me the tune and log file and ill put it in a spread sheet, im sure you will see it after i show you with numbers. budchevy358@yahoo.com

if you look in the last write up i did. i posted up screen shots of the log as well as what the table looked like before and after so you could get an idea of the changes that i made. just remember after you change the effective area it will throw off your idle airflow and you will have to adjust that. a change in ve after this will also throw off the idle airflow AND effective area. so when you do all this stick with the same VE table, in the end if you want to come bgack and change the ve you can and only idle changes that will have to be made would be effective area and idle airflow
Old 08-21-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

to do list:
1. throttle by wire section, since vettes and trucks (i think) use it. it is the way of the future anyway. anyone got a vette i can borrow?
2. symptom-solution section, lots of people figured out parts of it, now they just need to address a specific thing
3. more on 'eyeballing your spark' and over- and underspeed tables, i already got questions about that.
4. more popular injectors configs, i only have experience with the 4 I listed, if you got good solid data for some other ones that you can really vouch for, send it to me and i will post it.

other than that, thank you for all the feedback and commentary, i got over 70 hits in first 5 hrs, so apparently there's enough fbodies out there that idle like ****
Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing that made me scratch my head was the 48% under the TB subtitle. I found that you need 48% of the step that the smaller TB would need. I multiplied my table by .48 not 1.48.
Phil
Old 08-22-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

best thing to do when messing with overspeed and underspeed is looking at your spakr averages and your rpm averages. that will help this table out
Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

made some updates/fixes, damn blogger broke a lot of code.
it's been very popular so far, 210 views in 2 days now only if you guys clicked on some ads to pay for my tuning gas money...