PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A cool feature of 2.0 HPT

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

v1.7 already does AFR % error histogram, has done for more than 6 months...

2.0 includes fully customizable 2D and 3D histograms with auto axis selection based on the editor tables. It also includes custom PIDs that can be created by the user. Common ones like AFR% error, calculated g/cyl etc. are included in the defaults.

Chris...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gameover
v1.7 already does AFR % error histogram, has done for more than 6 months...

Chris...
He was refering to MAF AFR % error histogram. For calibrating the MAF table with ease and not using excel.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does a 3D histogram look like?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black02SS
He was refering to MAF AFR % error histogram. For calibrating the MAF table with ease and not using excel.
i don't see the connection between "Auto VE tuning" and the MAF, sorry...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just now scratching the surface of 1.7...does this mean I have to re-learn the entire tool?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nope. VCM Suite 2.0 just picks up where 1.7 left off.

The 2.0 interface is a lot more graphical than the 1.7 interface.. but the layout is still similar enough that learning 1.7 will only help you with 2.0.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Nope, you will not have to relearn the entire tool, but there will be other features that will enhance what you have learned.

EFI's Auto VE tune = HPTuners EIO AFR% Error
HPTuners will have the ability to tune the MAF table without the need of excel.
The #D histogram (I would think) looks much like the 3D surface display.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
I'm just now scratching the surface of 1.7...does this mean I have to re-learn the entire tool?
nope.
i never saw 2.0 before yesterday afternoon.. and by the evening, i was using it faster then i was using 1.7... its the same things... and its pretty well laid out... learning 1.7 now can only help.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i will be tuning with a WB and the EIO. can the program use that data to properly calibrate the MAF instead of the narrowband trims? this will make a lot of people really happy instead of just guessing on the MAF settings
Originally Posted by Black02SS

In the past DAY.... I have tuned 2 MAF's...out to 5 decimals
made my own histogram with the MAF table and LTFT's..
was able to tune the MAF in both cases in 3 passes to get it within -2 to +2 everwhere........and I did a few more to get it really accurate.....
I had to buid my own excell spreadsheet(which is still available for download) to do MAF calibration before 2.0......

the only problem I see is that no matter what you have fopr mods..the narrow o2's will still pull the LTFT's to 0 anyways....adn you need your PE multiplier for WOT...so might as well tune the MAF to LTFT's and then use the PE table to get WOT right with the wideband...

The thing to remember is that you are tuning a vehicle that is always trying to tune itself....so get everthing in line with what the car is going to do anyways....and then tune the values that dont ever change after that

Last edited by soundengineer; 08-24-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh...forgot to mention.... I also was able to show a buddy his injectors were maxing out because of the ability to plot injector duty cycle vs map vs rpm...
he didnt believe me when I told him before that his injectors needed to be biger....
now he can see it on my screen..LOL
Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by soundengineer
oh...forgot to mention.... I also was able to show a buddy his injectors were maxing out because of the ability to plot injector duty cycle vs map vs rpm...
he didnt believe me when I told him before that his injectors needed to be biger....
now he can see it on my screen..LOL

hey, cant you save/share histogram files now?? that one sounds intresting...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yeah...I'm still not sold on tuning the MAF this way. My headers really play tricks on the O2 sensors, which is where the trims are coming from...

That injector duty cycle vs map vs rpm sounds quite intriguing though...I've never checked to see how my injectors are handling my light mods.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yeah...I'm still not sold on tuning the MAF this way. My headers really play tricks on the O2 sensors, which is where the trims are coming from....

This may have already been mentioned (Phoenix57) but...

Just like the way you tune your VE table using AFR% error could you not use a WB O2 sensor and the AFR% error (vs. commander AFR) to calibrate the MAF??? This would require a VERY accurate VE table I would think though... AND it may only be pertinent to steady state driving, when MAF and MAP are most likely to agree????

Last edited by SideStep; 08-24-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah...I'm still not sold on tuning the MAF this way. My headers really play tricks on the O2 sensors, which is where the trims are coming from...

That injector duty cycle vs map vs rpm sounds quite intriguing though...I've never checked to see how my injectors are handling my light mods.

you really need to explain these "tricks" since you seem to talk about them enough.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SideStep
This may have already been mentioned but...

Just like the way you tune your VE table using AFR% error could you not use a WB O2 sensor and the AFR% error (vs. commander AFR) to calibrate the MAF??? This would require a VERY accurate VE table I would think though...

Theoretically you could, but doesn't the car have to be in closed loop to use the MAF? That right there would cause problems for me, because it would be getting feedback from narrow band O2 sensors that I know aren't working as they should, and I would be giving it feedback from my WB02 at the same time. There would be a conflict of interest of sorts...

The VE table would have to be spot on as well...and from what I've found, even that has to be a compromise. From what I've seen, part throttle/cruising needs to be tuned open loop to a multiplier of 1.0, but WOT needs to be tuned to what you are shooting for (which for me is 1.13). So you have to find a good middle ground and blend the results...there is some sort of calculation based on the commanded AFR that I don't fully understand.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
you really need to explain these "tricks" since you seem to talk about them enough.
With long tube headers, the O2 sensors are moved further down the exhaust stream. This means the gases have more time to cool, not to mention the fact that the gases cool even more because there is a great deal more surface area than the manifolds provided for the cooling of the exhaust gases. O2 sensors need heat to work well, and when they are moved downstream, they aren't getting this heat anymore. This causes lazy O2 sensors (meaning they don't switch as fast as they would have in the stock location), and will eventually kill them. Therefore, the feedback loop is corrupted.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, you can load and save histograms..

Its in the program files/hp tuners/vcm suite 2/histograms.

You can save them to your desktop as well and then e-mail them.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Magnus
Yes, you can load and save histograms..

Its in the program files/hp tuners/vcm suite 2/histograms.

You can save them to your desktop as well and then e-mail them.

yea, i know.. i was just hinting he should post it.. lol

With long tube headers, the O2 sensors are moved further down the exhaust stream. This means the gases have more time to cool, not to mention the fact that the gases cool even more because there is a great deal more surface area than the manifolds provided for the cooling of the exhaust gases. O2 sensors need heat to work well, and when they are moved downstream, they aren't getting this heat anymore. This causes lazy O2 sensors (meaning they don't switch as fast as they would have in the stock location), and will eventually kill them. Therefore, the feedback loop is corrupted.
if these were 1 wire older O2s, you would be correct.

but they're modern HEATED O2s.... and when you use the recommended Bosch 13111 sensors, they even have a higher wattage element.... why the hotter element? because modern cars sometimes have O2s so far back, they're behind the cats!!! (lol just messin with ya.. lil sarcasm there..)

seriously though, they're heated O2 sensors, and you can WATCH them switch in the scanner..