PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!!! Tuning Question Inside....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help!!!! Tuning Question Inside....

Ok, continuing problem here. Long story made short.....

Got the TSP magic stick cam package and all the extra goodies, along with a mail order tune from TSP. Originally after cam install was done, we were throwing some SES lights, and around 3000xRPM's, the car would seem to "buck" a little, (missfire almost). Sent the computer back to TSP, they did some changes, sent the computer back, and bingo the SES light was off, throwing no codes. However, the "bucking" around 3000xRPM's still continued. After numerous hours on the phone with TSP, and exhausting every possibility from a (bad ground wire, spark plug and wires check, o2 sensors, etc....), we finally unplugged the MAF(which was descreened before the mail order tune), and the car runs perfect, with no problems. BUT, we are not going to run the car with no MAF obviously, and we then determined that the car must need a DYNO tune....

My questions are: does the Dyno tune to you guys sound like what this car needs???? I mean we really have gone over every single issue that could cause this "bucking" problem, and the car should really get a dyno tune anyway with all the mods i have done to it. But i dont know, just have a hard time believeing that this will FINALLY solve the whole issue. Also, i hear that it could in fact be the MAF itself. Being the fact that the car runs fine without the MAF, but once the MAF is plugged back in it has the buckign problem. What do you guys think???? I appreicate any feedback, this whole situation has just become the biggest headahe in the world. I havent driven the car in like a month now, and with the weather being so nice, just driving me crazy!!!!! Feel like this summer has just been a BIG waste!!!!

Last edited by Sunset35th02Z; 08-24-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Bump To Top
Old 08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm... Why would you obviously not run the car with out the MAF?

A dyno tune, assuming you meant a basic dyno tune, wouldn't hurt to maximize the WOT power for your application. However, most dyno tunes and tuners do very little to maximize the "streetability" of your car and tend to use band-aid approches to maximize your WOT power.

Have you done any searching to see what others have done to eliminate bucking?

Originally Posted by horist
lol.... this search thingamajig we have here is pretty nifty...
Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Teching In

sorry, done a pretty extensive search. Um, isnt it bad to run the car without the MAF???? I thought, and heard it was.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Nope

If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have wasted my money on dyno tunes (wasted a perfectly good $400 bill lol).

check out www.efilive.com

EFILive has IMO the best tuning/scanning software. It's intuitive to use and there is a lot of support on their forum and here for your tuning questions.

also take a look at www.hptuners.com
HPT makes a good tuning software too.

there is a great sticky by Horist at the top of this forum about the best packages. Do a little research and dive in. FWIW - it took me 6 months of searching before I was ready to make the investment. Just do your homework and decide whats best for you.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Teching In

so basically because my car runs just fine without the MAF, there really is no need for me to have it in there. I was looking at the links u sent me, and believe me i appricate it. I just want to make sure that not running a MAF will not mess up anything with the car, and the car was mail order tuned. So....would there be anything else i ened to do??? Or just pop the MAF off and enjoy????
Old 08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

disregard my post in the internal engine section
Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
disregard my post in the internal engine section
yeah, lol, realized it was in the wrong section after i posted it. It is now deleted.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

your other option is recal the maf to your ve tables.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

And now your investment into tuning software has been justified
Old 08-24-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

lol..thanks! only thing is...i dont know how to do it
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Teching In

its just amazing what th difference was. the car was buckign now and then, at idle she was fine, no problems, but full throttle, going up a hill would definetly struggle. But all those problems went away as soon as we removed the MAF. no problems whatsoever, and was throwing no codes. I just heard that it was bad to remove the MAF, and could mess **** up. But now, i got the both of you telling me that it wont harm a thing. So there really is no other mod or anything i need to fabricate up to run this without a MAF right???
Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

no maf= speed density
there isnt any harm w/o running the maf if your tuned for SD that is.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Teching In

no maf= speed density
there isnt any harm w/o running the maf if your tuned for SD that is.
sorry, can u explain what you mean by "tuning for speed density"? I have had the computer mail order tuned for my cam pckage, and every other mod on the car from TSP. Does that qualify????
Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

There are a few catches to running SD. I wouldn't assume everything will be allright until you can download your tune and see what's in there.

anyhow... take a search for SD - tons of information in here.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

its the tune, not your mods. speed density uses your ve table (volumentric efficency) to determine how much air and fuel is being mixed at a given rpm...or something like that. Its a static tune as oppsed to the dynamic maf tune.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a thought:
Too much K&N air filter oil will screw up MAF readings. Clean filaments with electrical contact cleaner.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

thats a very good idea!!! take the maf apart though and clean the elements from the front as well as the back. the TB could also be dirty. I had the problem. too bad i had a vaccum leak when my car was tuned otherwise id be able to switch over to SD
Old 08-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Teching In

its the tune, not your mods. speed density uses your ve table (volumentric efficency) to determine how much air and fuel is being mixed at a given rpm...or something like that. Its a static tune as oppsed to the dynamic maf tune.
so basically i would need like hptuners or somethign like that to check the ve to make sure its right on without the MAF on the car???? That is what speed density is, and then it woul dbe safe to run the car without the MAF....???....but, i would need to tune specially for that with a program like hptuners, and this is what is called SD.

LOL, sorry im new to this, does that sound about right??? THANKS so much guys for everything!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

more or less.... im sure Jason can hook you up, but your better off having the car there so they can monitor all your parameters to see what changes need to be made or find someone with efi to log it for you and send it to them. I know Jason uses edit, so he has to be using efi to log.