Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend doing tune work

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Friend doing tune work

A local guy has been "attempting" to help me out a little with tuning.. I will list what I have here, and the only "bin" file I could find that looks like it might be close to what I need.. I have a 98 T/A with A4 and 2:73's.. Whisper lid, K&N, 160 stat, descreened MAF, FRA, cut EGR pipe, !cats!, 3" magnaflow catback, The car has a fresh tune up with NGK TR66 plugs at .60 gap, new fuel filter, pcv, and blah blah.. I figure my next thing was decent base tuning.. but the only thing we tried doing so far was to get rid of the SES light thats on due to having no cats.. which didnt work, the light is still on, although I dont know if its still throwing the same two codes or a new one since I havent scanned it since it came back on.. anyway.. I found this file in the registry and wondered if its too much for my car..

STOCK torque convertor,heads, cam, GSC Goodyears, 3.23 rear. LS6 intake, JANTZER ported TB, TSP lid, 85mm truck MAF descreened, FAST TOYS cold air system, ASP pulley, JBA shortys, Mufflex catpipes with Random METALLIC cats, LG Motorsports '304' 2.5" y-pipe, SLP 2OTL catback. EVANS waterpump/coolant. TR6 plugs .060 gap. 'STEVE COLE' A4 up/down shift tables. THIS IS HOW AN A4 SHOULD SHIFT !!! 04 HOLDEN 'nice' MAF table. HYPERTECH hi/low octane tables smoothed twice. VE MAFLESS pri/sec tables from ANOTHER_USERs bin-file, my MAF is NOT disconnected. MAFLESS VE tables being used for good part throttle response. NO EGR,COT,rear O2.

That is word for word what it says.. I am just wondering since its got shorty headers, LS6 intake, ported TB, 85mm MAF, ASP pulley, which is all stuff I dont have, if it would be too much, although this tune if for a car with cats, which I dont have, which might make up for the LS6 intake.. I am totally clueless, just wondering if anyone would have a tune closer to what I would need or if this would work as well, or better than my stock tune, for the mods I have so far.. next thing will be either a 3500 stall, or a 100 shot, havent made up my mind.. neither or which should effect the tune I dont think....
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You want the Holden table for a stock MAF, the
85mm tables are inappropriate. The VE tables are
intimately connected to heads, cam, headers, cats,
cat-back and you probably will have to adjust from
whatever you find. You will want to adjust for the
gearing difference.

Now, one -BIG- watch-out is that there are like 4
different '98 OSes out there and you need to pick
a .bin that matches your OS version, or (I think)
"write entire" so you get the code and the data
that match each other. The full write is a more
dangerous process (write fails, you're hosed just
like the good ol' LS1-Edit days; so don't touch
anything or open the door while it's doing its
thing).

I think you're better off copy-and-pasting tables
and settings methodically, rather than snarfing
someone's mystery .bin and just applying it. Takes
more time, but you know what's in the sausage
patty when you're done.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that sounds like it may be out of his league, I know its outta mine since I dont have a clue what half of it means.. Basically what I got from that is that, I would have to change alot of what is in that "bin" file to make it work for my car?? And I guess not all 98 Auto cars have the same computer.. hmm.. this is BS.. sounds alot easier to call up MadZ28.com
Does anyone have a file that would work well with my car, the guy trying to work on mine said people dont wanna share their stuff, but hell, its an F-Body site, I figured we'd wanna help eachother out.. I got the program, just not the brains lol
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best way I think is just to start in on the basic stuff,
take on one problem at a time. Shotgunning it with
someone else's setup can leave you with a lot of
stuff you don't know about. Probably chase down the
SES stuff first, along with basic things like fans, then
move into base tune and then performance related
things. "Don't try to eat anything larger than your
head", goes the saying.