Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whos running megasquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whos running megasquirt?

I have an ls1 I am working on finishing up th megasquirt and EDIS install.
I was wondering if anybody could send me a "base" tune? To give me a head start when I go to start it for the first time. Im also wondering how do you know what version of megatune and megatweak to download?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get a base tune, you simply need to "answer the questions" so to speak and get the injector constant (REQ_FUEL) set. There should already be a base VE table burned into the prom to get you started. If yours is all zeros, you can load one from one of the example .msq files to start out with.

You need to match your version of MegaTune with the version of the firmware you're using. If you're using an MS1 with MSnS-EDIS or MSnS-Extra, look at the docs for their projects and they'll show you which version of MegaTune. Generally the latest version will be backward compatible though, so it doesn't hurt to grab the latest and greatest.

Once you're ready to fire it up, jump into the warmup wizard and start tweaking the idle as the car warms up. Then once you have it cranking and idling well, take a friend with to drive while you sit and tune the car. Jump into the VE editor, and get used to hitting lots of arrow keys and shift-arrow keys to adjust your VE table. That part usually takes around 30 minutes to get a pretty darned good fuel map from idle to redline, from light to full throttle. I assume you have a wideband O2 sensor, cuz you'll definitely want one
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK thanks. are you using edis on any of your projects? Im trying to figure out where to mount the VR sensor in relation to the missing tooth omn the 36-1 wheel. I have read the instructions in the megamanual but cant seem to catch on.

The car is a 73 camaro with the ls1 and M6. For the megasquirt, I purchased the unit from rs-autosport. Its a megasquirt and edis unit with extras. Launch control and nitrous control.

Last edited by camrsz; 09-20-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, not using EDIS. I'm actually working on an off-board module to drive the LS1 coils directly, which could also (through software) be made to control timing by itself entirely. I'm not coding that stuff in there, I'm doing just enough to get the MS to work on an LS1 without the factory PCM

I haven't messed with a 36-1 wheel or any of the VR stuff associated. I'm coding a new module entirely, so I kind of "went off the path" compared to how most people use the MegaSquirt.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I read about your workings on msefi. That would be awsome if we could use the stock coils
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just let me get through this little hurricane, and I'll get back on it. Its going to pass about 40 miles west of my house
Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

well good luck, Hope everything turn out ok.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:21 AM
Launching!

I'm very interested in utilizing the LS1 crank signal and stock coils.
I'll follow this thread among others.

Jay Johnson
Old 09-25-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Just let me get through this little hurricane, and I'll get back on it. Its going to pass about 40 miles west of my house
Please be my hero! I would really like to use megasquirt for everything on my car....

Anthony
Old 09-25-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got my MS2 conversion processor showing up hopefully tomorrow, and I've already started writing all the code to do everything. The Megasquirt will more or less "plug in" since I'm also working with an MS vendor to build a wiring harness for us He's wanting to come over here as a sponsor as well, we'll see if we can make that happen.

The MS will control the injectors, factory coils, and the idle air control valve -- everything necessary to completely replace the factory PCM for running the engine. You'll probably want to retain the factory PCM for things like emissions testing (for the scanner-type test states), gauges, transmission shifting (a4 guys), a/c control, etc.

Here's a question for you guys -- where on the vehicle are you planning on mounting the Megasquirt? Remember, since its not weatherproofed you must put it inside the car somewhere. We're trying to figure out how long to make the harness.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah just make it like 10 ft long and give the ability of mounting anywhere we could. I have the a/c and heat deleate, so I can mount it to the back of the deleate plate. I was hoping someone would make it happen before my car needed it ....
Old 10-22-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update... I got mine on the verg of starting using Megasquirt and EDIS. It wants to start but floods while cranking. Anybody using megasquirt want to share their cranking pulswidths?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camrsz
Update... I got mine on the verg of starting using Megasquirt and EDIS. It wants to start but floods while cranking. Anybody using megasquirt want to share their cranking pulswidths?

WHat injectors and about what fuel pressure are you running? I can help you out.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dieselgeek
WHat injectors and about what fuel pressure are you running? I can help you out.
Hey thanks for the offer. I got it figured out. Just started the pulsewidths low and ramped them up untill it started. But keep your eye on this thread, because im sure I will have plenty of tuning questions for you.