PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I know if one of my coil packs is not working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do I know if one of my coil packs is not working?

there is a loud ticking on the passenger side area and I can also hear it through the exhaust even though my car is crazy loud. the exhaust also sounds a little funny when I drive it. the car is not throwing any codes either.

I have no other idea wut it could be

any ideas?

thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like a rally bad exhaust leak, LT's do make a strange noise at WOT I have noticed this in my car. You say there is no SES then I doubt it is a coil pack going out, because you would get a flashing SES light from missfires.Double check your torque specs on those header bolts also check to see if maybe a spark plug is not loose.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a loud ticking......I would guess loose spark plug wire.

Easiest way for me to check is....put your hand on each plug wire with the car running. The insulator will keep you from getting shocked but you can feel the pulse on the wire. Tracked down a couple that way. Pretty hard to go by sound in a cramped engine compartment.

Also....you may or may not get a SES. I could hear it arcing the whole way home but never got a code.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Launching!

If it is on the passenger side I would look at the #6 spark plug. I did not get mine completely tight and it backed out on me causing a loud tick that resonated thru the exhaust tubing. Also check the spark plug wires, I had a couple that wasn't seated completely.

Dave