PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realtime tuning software?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure yet, need to wait and see where the software guys need to come in at for their end of the package. As you can imagine, there are various possible scenarios in that regard.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Craig Moates
The RoadRunner is a daughterboard that installs into a stock PCM. It overrides the stock PCM's Flash chip (when asked to do so). You can upload a full stock binary in 6 seconds via USB, 20 seconds on the wireless link. No disturbance during instantaneous realtime changes.

In terms of how it hooks up, you can get a modified PCM from me, with the daughterboard already installed. Or, you can send me your PCM and I'll install a connection header onto the PCM internals and send it back to you.

The cabling is going to be such that a weather-proof USB connector will be installed through the case. This lets you hook a cable up to it when you want to and put a waterproof cap over the hole when you are done.

Another option is Bluetooth wireless. Range is variable depending on the sheetmetal, but right now what I'm planning is to have the weatherproof connector actually allow you to place the BT dongle outside of the case where you can get better reception. Otherwise, you can place the BT module inside the case and not even modify the case. In that scenario, the range is much lower (only a few feet). However, you can drape a BT PC-side dongle near the PCM and get communication that way.

Anyways, that's the deal. It is a solder-in header that either goes on top of your flash chip or replaces your flash chip (depending on whether you need to preserve Flash functionality). Then you snap the RoadRunner in there and it takes over. It emulates (read-only from PCM perspective) the entire Flash space, including the protected VIN block.

Hope this helps,
-Craig
What's the expected price for something like this including ECU? And is it going to support 2 and 3 bar applications?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Teching In

It'll definitely be sub-$1k for the hardware end. Need to see what the software guys need for their licensing end.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sure would be a perfect christmas present for every tuning guy out there... Maybe we all need to leave this screen on our computers for awile and the wives might see it as a hint that we want one.

As for supporting 2 and 3 bar applications, i wouldnt see that being a problem as long as the software Craig gets setup with has the capabilities of the modified os systems with the extra tables needed for the ve tables ect.. The pcm will still have to have a "real" data structure, so Os systems would have to remain the same, but you will just be able to minipulate anything in that os at any givin time.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Yes, that's right. Basically anything in the entire binary can be modified on-the-fly. If the structure is represented properly in the software editor then it will come through just fine.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, just put me on some testing/early adopter list
Old 11-28-2005, 11:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
yea, just put me on some testing/early adopter list
same here
Old 11-29-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

FINALLY

if someone has a 98, will this solution drop in and allow them to run 2-3 bar map sensors?

i know currently only 99+ can, so im just curious how much of a life saver this thing really is.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Right now, it is only targeted to 99-04 due to geometric constraints. However, that can change in time. But initially, it will just be for the 99+ "Boxes" as it were. Internally, the concept is the same. Assuming fitment can be achieved, there's nothing stopping it in that way.

So, hardware is ready. Testing has proven to be robust. Vehicle owners and tuners are anxious to start using it. What next?

At least three software development paths are being entertained. One is headlong and showing to be effective and implemented, release pending (it is being used by me and a couple of other folks presently for beta testing). One is still deciding what the terms should be (I am hopeful for this path, these are good folks). Another is wide-open with MANY potential opportunities in terms of grassroots development.

Two others are not being pursued for my own 'choice' reasons.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

this sounds awesome
Old 12-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Woo-hoo! This stuff is so fun...
Old 12-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

IF its anywhere close to as good as your obd1 hardware, then it will blow everything else out of the water. We tune with alot of craig moates hardware and can verify that the quality is top notch. Keep up the good work craig!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Craig, will you be selling this thru Thunder Racing? If not, shoot me a pm on how to become a sponsor.

Sounds like interesting stuff, will the daughterboard be detected when folks go in for emissions testing? Do you change any of the injector drivers?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Craig, will you be selling this thru Thunder Racing? If not, shoot me a pm on how to become a sponsor.

Sounds like interesting stuff, will the daughterboard be detected when folks go in for emissions testing? Do you change any of the injector drivers?

We (Thunder Racing and Craig) are somewhat partners on the devolpment of this deal. We (Thunder Racing) will be selling this product when it is ready to be released, although we more than likely won't be the only reseller. All of the marketing details haven't been ironed out yet, so I can't speak for who all will be selling this product and how, other than Thunder Racing and Craig through his business.

The daughterboard is transparent to any scanning software. As far as any scanner is concerned it thinks it is seeing the original flash chip in the PCM.

The injector drivers are stock.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Will this be adaptable to any tuner software or is it going to be designed arround a specific tuner software? I am in the market for tuning software and want to be sure I choose a path that leads to this.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I can't say just yet, but we REALLY hope to have that hammered out enough to talk about briefly in the next week or two.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

u guys should team up with hptuners and get the software to work together. that would help you guys sell a WHOLE bunch more. there are a lot of people with hptuners, and i know they would love that ability. just my 2 cents. good luck. sound great.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Will this be adaptable to any tuner software or is it going to be designed arround a specific tuner software? I am in the market for tuning software and want to be sure I choose a path that leads to this.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject

Dam dude...you need to do a little resize on that signature.....
Old 12-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone want to send me a PM on who the software people are? It would be damn nice to be able to adjust things real time...I'll just need to train up the girlfriend on what to push when.

Quick Reply: Realtime tuning software?