PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HP Tuners or EFI Live?
HP Tuners
60.87%
EFI Live
37.68%
Other
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

HP Tuners vs. EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFILive 100%
Owned all of them and Live is what I will always use.. Customer service and the free custom operating systems are the best!!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

it doesn't matter, they're just interfaces to the same computer. It's the procedures, methodology, and concepts that are gonna give you the most grief, not which button to press. Unless you're a real retard when it comes to computers, it won't matter after the first week, you'll just get used to whatever you got.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I use HPTuners (obviously ). I selected it back when I was about to purchase LS1-Edit and had AutoTAP. I never really liked ATAP's scanner (similar to EFI) and I liked the histogram feature of HPTuners. So I sold my AutoTAP and purchased HPTuners. The scanner on both, from what I have seen are the same. HPTuners can scan pretty much everything that EFI can, so the point of the scanner being better is null (to me). As Mike (Horist) mentioned, I like the fact that I can help out fellow enthusiasts with my software support and I don't need to purchase or have people purchase licenses on to my cable. If they like it, they may want to buy their own copy.

It helps that I also know the HPTuners staff ... which have always been very helpfull to me, the least I can do is spread the word about them.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked HP Tuners, and here is why:

HP Tuners has a modern and feature packed software system.

HP Tuners has more vehicle type support cross-platform.

HP Tuners already has LS2 and Ford products in beta and is in development on LS7 and Dodge.

HP Tuners has a partnership with Superchips whom is owned by MSD which will help us bring products and support that will be unmatched in the industry.

Our product is still more affordable and our 1bar, 2bar and 3bar aplications for the individual user, although not free, are also less than our competitors price.

This is something we love doing.. and we can't wait to see what products the future brings to us and our customers.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 11-28-2005, 11:21 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with HP Tuners originally for teh reason that I wanted to tune others cars and make a few bucks on it....and I didnt see a good way to make money using EFI and having to pay $99 for every car wanted to tune, where in HPT all I needed to do was purchase a vehicle type liscense and it pays for itself in 2 cars and teh rest are money in the bank.
Originally I liked the EFI scanner better...but I knew how to do excel stuff already and decided that I would make a crapload of spreadsheets to help with anything I needed...and now 2.0 (thanks to many people..including myself) has similar scanner features(and a few that I like better)
and now with teh addon of fords and dodges just around the corner...I will be able to tune my buddies mustangs and hemi's
Old 11-28-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I choose EFILIVE for is free custom OS's and its free 2-3bar since I'm boosted. I also really like the Black Box loging
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm an EFILive guy myself.

All the competition offers cutting edge technology and will take turns one upping each other in the field, but at the end of the day, I prefer to spend my money with a company that earns my business, values my feedback, and offers a truely innovative product.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Mike - I don't know if you will find too many people who have done a true comparison between the two. You will find most have switched from LS1Edit to either HPtuners or EFI Live Flashscan. After watching my friend J (J98ta here) tune my new setup I'm going with with EFI Live. The Autotune feature, general ease of use and wideband option is hard to beat.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a handful on this site that have used both & those that have used the latest software of each would agree you cant go wrong with either & that both have their pros/cons I use hpt exclusively their licensing is more generous then efi lives, hpt also has a similar "autotune" feature, and is also very easy to use with a very informative help file...and also offer wideband input as well as 3 addition inputs & 2 outputs. Also alot of people keep talking about the "free" 2/3 bar offered by efilive its not free when you have to spend $99 for each additional license & an extra $150 to get the commercial version. Hptuners charges $49 for the 1 bar & $199 for each 2/3 bar license or you can get unlimited for an additional charge by simply applying it right to the file. Not to mention hpt has a lower initial price starting at just $499
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I recently switched from ATAP/Edit to HPT 2.0.

HPT was very affordable and seemed easier to use than EFILive. I got my questions answered promptly by HPT, no response from EFIlive. On the other hand, I perceived that EFI probably had a few more features; I just wasn't sure if I would use them and therefore justify the extra expense.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by foff667
There are a handful on this site that have used both & those that have used the latest software of each would agree you cant go wrong with either & that both have their pros/cons I use hpt exclusively their licensing is more generous then efi lives, hpt also has a similar "autotune" feature, and is also very easy to use with a very informative help file...and also offer wideband input as well as 3 addition inputs & 2 outputs. Also alot of people keep talking about the "free" 2/3 bar offered by efilive its not free when you have to spend $99 for each additional license & an extra $150 to get the commercial version. Hptuners charges $49 for the 1 bar & $199 for each 2/3 bar license or you can get unlimited for an additional charge by simply applying it right to the file. Not to mention hpt has a lower initial price starting at just $499
The HPT WB option is 650 (499+150 for EIO wideband option to wideband option). 650 + 199 per 2-3 bar car and you will have broken even 850 = 850. Now add another 2 bar car to the mix and that leaves you with 199 HPT or 99 EFI a 109.00 savings per vehicle tuned with EFILive or if you use the 2 free licenses that come with the cable you are way ahead of the game. Depending on how you look at both licensing schemes they both have pros and cons. A tuner shop that I work with here in MD has tuned NUMEROUS two bar setups with EFI at the cost of 99 per vehicle. No shipping of bin files and that stuff. True DIY and it works... With new inovations comming down the pipe such as http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638 and many more you can clearly see why I and many other choose to go with EFILive. In my case I have been through 3 packages (EDIT, HPTuners and now EFILive) and I am sticking with EFILive....
Old 11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
8 Second Club

how is it a better savings when the majority of people dont need 2 bar or 3 bar...
even with having to buy a $49 1 bar SD its still $50 less than an EFI liscense PER VEHICLE

and you can put more than 25 cars on 1 cable....
what happens anyways when you fill up an EFI cable anyways??? have to buy a whole new one at $850 again??
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by soundengineer
how is it a better savings when the majority of people dont need 2 bar or 3 bar...
even with having to buy a $49 1 bar SD its still $50 less than an EFI liscense PER VEHICLE

what happens anyways when you fill up an EFI cable anyways??? have to buy a whole new one at $850 again??

I don't believe that's the case, but we should (my self included) try and keep this one civil. I'd like to see how big we can get it before it gets locked
Old 11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by soundengineer

Enough of a saving for you to inquiry about 2-3 bar licensing and custom OS's http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtop...466&highlight=
Old 11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Launching!

i bought hp tuners cause they came out with the new 2.0 version, and im very glad i bought it...its awesome!!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

ugh... guys stop arguing ... only warning
Old 11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

sorry...
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i voted for HP Tuners. All the locals/friends had EFI live and they swore by it. They also had LS1 edit. I didn't have anything but needed it. I had to be one of the first guys to get the HP Tuners when it went public. Had to be top 20. Anyways, I bought it because i wanted both things together instead of having to pay for two things. I also wanted it to see how it could compare to EFI live and ls1edit. Figured i'd be the testing guy. So i used it and found it very easy to understand and learn on since i had no prior tuning knowledge. from that point on i showed the friends and they liked it to. not enough to actually sell what they have and buy the hptuners stuff. they aren't to the point of needing the extras hptuners offers. from that point on though, they all learned to use it and all the "new guys" in our area are purchasing HP Tuners, on the advice of me and the people who were using EFI Live.

I got rid of it when i thought i was going bigger and better, but little did i know that Keith and the guys were gonna come out with the whole 3bar speed density, blah blah blah type tuning that even confuses me.

I'll be buying the latest version next spring, whatever version it ends up being.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought hptuners because I knew Keith (Magnus) from the v6 board back before either of us had done our ls1 swaps yet. And the product sounded great. And I really liked the idea of being able to tune unlimited cars of the same year. (which worked out good since I have two 98's now)

I'm a little disappointed in some of the gaps with the '98 support though.

I haven't downloaded 2.x yet, and am not sure if I like the new format for the bin/hpt files with the new version, since they aren't as shareable (or viewable) as far as I know.

I'm still a tuning newbie though. (even though I got in on the initial order for the 98's....)
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
8 Second Club

still shareable just the same...just now encrypted so that others cant benefit from them and build new software from teh files

and go get your 2.0
big improvement from 1.x

Quick Reply: HP Tuners vs. EFI Live