PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HP Tuners or EFI Live?
HP Tuners
60.87%
EFI Live
37.68%
Other
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

HP Tuners vs. EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a ton of reasons to go with either one. I picked EFI Live because of the ease of use, formatting, black-box logging, and how easy it is to hook up a wideband.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think both EFI and HPT have extremely easy ways to hook up widebands....
teh problem is the dam wideband market that gives you a device with 7 wires and you have to decifer where they go..LOL
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use HPTuners. I have 4 model years, and my friends love me for it
Old 11-28-2005, 07:53 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used both HP Tuners and EFI Live. Having used HPT first, I was pretty spoiled by how easy it was to use. Very nice for the novice tuner. But because Geoff at Thunder Racing had switched to EFI Live last year, he encouraged me to buy EFI Live so we could share our tunes.

Man, what a difference! EFI Live was a much more detailed piece of software compared to HP Tuners. While intimidated initially, I grew to enjoy the customizable Histogram tables, the averaging features of histograms, and the ease of doing accurate speed density tuning. I would say EFI Live is better suited for the advanced tuner while HP Tuners caters nicely to the beginning tuner. Both have their place and both are improving at rates faster than their customers can keep up with.

I absolutely love the black box logging of EFI Live when racing at the track. No more need to drag my expensive laptop into a racing environment. Also, when I just want to jump in the car and make a few quick logs (for cold startup let's say), the blackbox logging is awesome. Very convenient.

The custom operating systems are very cutting edge too, allowing the use of all spark tables and high resolution VE table for speed density tuning. I like speed density so well in fact, I may even ditch the O2 sensors and do a kickass lean cruise mode program to pick up some mpg's.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Launching!

I went with EFILive, the black box logging feature helped make up my mind.
Overall I'm happy but I have much to learn.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 500 Likes on 350 Posts

I went with hpt because it was the best available product when I needed it. I heard too many stories of ls1edit frying pcm's, and I don't think efilive was available yet. So far, hpt does everything I need.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

I went with EFILive, because of the:

1) Black Box logging feature
2) Former ATap user
3) 97-98 abilities
4) Free Custom OS
5) Auto tune feature
6) Duramax Diesel tuning abilities (to be released next week)
7) IMHO they seem to lead not follow
8) They seem to be very low key and not as agressive/defensive on the boards as the other company. They just get the job done. This is not a slam just an observation that made me uncomfortable.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:08 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi, Miller/Bud, EFI/HPT. Competition is great because the competing companies are always trying to bring the consumer the best product. I'm just sorry that the Mustang has no competition any more.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Right now I'm leaning towards HPT because it's cheaper for what I need. The black box feature of the EFILive is nice, but not really necessary for me....I have no problem with having the laptop sit on the seat when I drive around.

Also, SD Tuning and 2/3 bar isn't real important to me....and we have an LM1 wired into our dyno here at school so I wouldnt need the interface to run one...although it would be nice to have it displayed on the laptop.

I plan to only use it on my car...maybe make minor adjustments to others', but nothing like a full tune.

Any other suggestions/comments?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

i bought hp tuners because you can use it for more than one car and several of my friends hade the same modle year as mine and i want ed to be able to use my softwear on there cars. Also I had it recomended buy some of the local f-body guys who had pretty fast cars and seemed to know there stuff.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rookie

2) Former ATap user
3) 97-98 abilities
4) Free Custom OS
5) Auto tune feature
8) They seem to be very low key and not as agressive/defensive on the boards as the other company. They just get the job done. This is not a slam just an observation that made me uncomfortable.
This was a MAJOR deciding factor in my purchase.

In the words of Bevis and Butthead, "Like, you gotta have things that suck so you know what's cool. yeah yeah"
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rookie

2) Former ATap user
3) 97-98 abilities
4) Free Custom OS
5) Auto tune feature

All of the above plus free updates and BID controls.
I don't think it's a small thing to have an in car wideband. It's enabled me to get my car to transition rock solid. No stumbles, surges, etc, at all. Never.

Last edited by gojo; 11-29-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked hpt & will stick with it because of

1. Their licensing
2. V6 tuning capabilities
3. Upcoming ford/chrysler/diesel tuning capabilities
4. Free Updates
5. Powerful fully customizable scanner
6. Great help files
7. Very user friendly
8. Their highest price personal unit is lower then efi's lowest price personal unit
9. Lower priced 1 bar OS
10. Competetively priced 2 bar OS
11. Also has an "auto tune" feature but with no spiffy nickname lol we just call it Speed density tuning
12. Also a former autotap user
13. Soon to offer black box logging

as far as them leading not following I beg to differ They were the first to come out with a scanner/editor pkg, first with year licensing rather then vin, first with custom OS's and im sure there are alot of other things they led the way for As far as being agressive & defensive goes you may take it like that but they are standing up for their product & trying to help people better understand it...alot of people bring up the custom OS's being free for efilive which ISN'T true...you pay $99 for each license and have to buy a new unit for your $850 after you've used up 25 licenses. I've tuned well over 25 cars now so I'd be in that boat. The free updates thing as well...hptuners has offered free updates if you bought your unit after mid October of 04' so they've offered this for over a year now. The autotune feature...its a snazzy word nothing more they both offer the same. I could go on but it boils my blood when people post up stuff as if the other doesnt have it. Post what sets it apart not what they both have in common.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Teching In

HP Tune.

History: Done 6 cars, some multiple times with additional mods.

Pro: One License covers all LS1 GM cars including Holden
Good local support
Good forum help
HP 2.0 custom histograms
Speed of write calibration file
FORD BA and AU models coming (Australia)
LS2 SW released soon (some already have it)
One cable for all models

Cons: One cable, some times need two

With software the most important thing is reliable software with
excellent support. HP tune gives me that. My customers are happy
they are coming back.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
I picked hpt & will stick with it because of

1. Their licensing
2. V6 tuning capabilities
3. Upcoming ford/chrysler/diesel tuning capabilities
4. Free Updates
5. Powerful fully customizable scanner
6. Great help files
7. Very user friendly
8. Their highest price personal unit is lower then efi's lowest price personal unit
9. Lower priced 1 bar OS
10. Competetively priced 2 bar OS
11. Also has an "auto tune" feature but with no spiffy nickname lol we just call it Speed density tuning
12. Also a former autotap user
13. Soon to offer black box logging

as far as them leading not following I beg to differ They were the first to come out with a scanner/editor pkg, first with year licensing rather then vin, first with custom OS's and im sure there are alot of other things they led the way for As far as being agressive & defensive goes you may take it like that but they are standing up for their product & trying to help people better understand it...alot of people bring up the custom OS's being free for efilive which ISN'T true...you pay $99 for each license and have to buy a new unit for your $850 after you've used up 25 licenses. I've tuned well over 25 cars now so I'd be in that boat. The free updates thing as well...hptuners has offered free updates if you bought your unit after mid October of 04' so they've offered this for over a year now. The autotune feature...its a snazzy word nothing more they both offer the same. I could go on but it boils my blood when people post up stuff as if the other doesnt have it. Post what sets it apart not what they both have in common.

A few bits of wrong info in there.

EFILIVE has always had free upgrade for life , HPT have just responded.

EFILIVE have FREE 1 bar OS

EFILIVE have FREE 2 bar OS

EFILIVE have FREE 3 bar OS

If you have a license then you can use any of the free OS's on that licence , once the cable is full you have the option of upgrading to a tuner version at a reduced price.
EFILIVE cames std with wideband and dataloggind capability hence the dearer intial price.

I also think ( but we will have to wait and see when it is released ) the new HPT LS2 and ford stuff will be vin licenced not year licensed , this is only my opinion , ( maybe HPT will let us know otherwise )

I have HPT as well as LS1edit and EFILIVE , the other two dont come out of the toolbox anymore.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Dan,

As you requested.

We "just reponded" over a year ago on the software updates. ie. if you purchased our product after October 15th, 2004, you haven't paid a cent for upgrades.

Our licensing options are expanding not reducing. eg. The LS2 released in beta is not VIN locked. Ford will not be VIN locked only as your opinion suggests.

Also, why don't you let folks know that you are a close beta tester of EFIlive and most (if not all) of the custom OS stuff is developed for you, hence the reason you like it so much.

Last time i checked you needed the commercial (or higher) version of efi to use the custom OS's, making efi's lowest cost of entry for 1bar SD $849, ours on the other hand is $548 or $648(EIO). For 2bar ours is $698 or $848 and efi is $849. Somehow free just didn't add up for the average user.

Chris...
Old 11-29-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very funny watching all these threads. If you look at all the posts anywhere, The trend is always clear. For the people that have all three companies software, That they ALL pick Efilive for thier every day use. As for Options and what is making software better, WHAT ISNT AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC shouldnt really even matter.

Efilive custom os systems are superior to any other software package, Who cares if they have to be set up. They are free and do the job very well and are constantly being improved with more and more options and tables..
A simple script file that any one can make will make that set up task automated.

Another thing that people forget to throw in the price of efilive is the fact that Everyone gets FREE 97-98 car programming that is FREE and unlimited. So, that is just a bonus to all thier customers new and old. That option alone is 450 bucks in another persons software.

"D bf files are great"

We are not here to start wars, it is just not always fair when people say that they are the first to do this or that and thier products arent even available yet. Heck, when efilive comes out with something, It is always shown.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANother thing, yes the custom os are free. the only time it would cost anything is if you dont have a way to put the custom os into the computer. But as everyone knows, I put them into thier computers for free if they send them to me..
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gameover
Dan,

Also, why don't you let folks know that you are a close beta tester of EFIlive and most (if not all) of the custom OS stuff is developed for you, hence the reason you like it so much.
On the same note you should let users know that horist, foff67, soundenegineer and a few other lackies were also "close" beta testers for your software. Some beta tested and others wrote the help files for your software and they like it just as much as you claim Tomcat to like EFILive.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

wow, how could i have predicted that you two guys would barge into this thread and get your back up? hmm... now there's a trend...

Quick Reply: HP Tuners vs. EFI Live