PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFIlive V5 (OBD-II) another LS1 Edit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFIlive V5 (OBD-II) another LS1 Edit?

EFIlive V5 is a comprehensive OBD-II scan tool specifically designed for the GM LS1 engine management system.EFIlive V5 is currently undergoing beta testing and will be released by Starr Performance when testing concludes in November/December 2001.Starr Performance is committed to bringing you the highest quality products that will always exceed your expectations. EFIlive V5 will continue to be developed to keep pace with current and future automotive/electronic systems.

EFIlive V5 offers the professional engine tuner as well as the "do it yourself" EFI technician.

Link
http://www.starrperformance.com.au/efilivev5/index.htm
Old 11-27-2001, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Default Re: EFIlive V5 (OBD-II) another LS1 Edit?

I like EFI Live. I have it for my iroc-z28. Very nice well designed program that allows numerical data to be seen as well as visual data such as "Guages." I believe it had already supported the Holden LS1.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

ls1 edit is not a scan tool

efilive, autotap, ease, etc are scan tools.

Eric
Old 11-27-2001, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have an idea of what the system requirements will be for this and also a ballpark for the price?
Matt
Old 12-04-2001, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

TTT
Old 12-24-2001, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Quite a bit more expensive than autotap though.
Old 12-24-2001, 05:24 AM
Teching In

not sure the update version is out yet, it was just read and adjust while connected. then will be update to pcm permanent.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:57 AM
Resident Grump

Like the man said.... LS1 edit is not a scan tool.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Man, $880 is a lot of money for a diagnostic tool, especially one that can't edit the PCM yet. It looks to be a little more complete than autotap and samples at a higher rate, but...

Since the software is free and you only pay for the connector, I wonder if the Autotap connector would work? Or is there someone else who sells an adapter that would work for a cheaper price? I'd pay the $250 for Autotap just to get the connector if it would work with EFIlive V5.
Matt
Old 12-24-2001, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, look again. That $880 Australian Dollars. Which is $447 in US dollars.

Looks like a promising setup. Hopefully they'll get it worked out. Would be nice to have dianostic and edit on the same program.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

From reading the web page its just stand alone scan tool, like scanmaster. It will not record any faster than the autotap or scanmaster since the data rate is defined by iso and ase standards not the program or hardware reading it.

Gary
Old 12-24-2001, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Although the data rate for scanning on a GM OBDII bus is 10.4 kbps variable pulse width, the scan tool can structure the data request packet so that more useable data is acquired per second.

OBDII data packets aren't very efficient at passing a decent amount of data - for example, a scan tool may request 3 different packets of data, and RPM may appear in each of these packets. That's 2 wasted bytes (multiple instances of the same) of data. A scan tool can be designed that defines and collects custom data packets, so that these wasted bytes can be turned in to something you are interested in. So, in effect, the data rate per second goes up, and the discarded byte count goes down.

I'd bet that EFILive could probably be configured to do that, as it looks like a pretty flexible program.

-Andrew
Old 12-26-2001, 05:52 AM
Teching In

EFI-LIVE V5 will be able to re-flash your PCM within months, this is not another AT.

For further questions and info check out www.starrperformance.com.au
Old 12-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

So does this means that with the release of future versions of EFILive I'll be able to essentially do the job of Atap and ls1edit in one friendly, easy-to-use program? Will it allow the manipulation of all the parameters that ls1 edit does/is suppose to? Will the software still be free to download even with this new functionality and still work with the MPA I purchase for the current version?

OOOHHH this makes me very happy! :-)

One last question, will this run on my old 133Mhz, 45Meg RAM laptop?
Matt
Old 12-31-2001, 06:41 PM
Restricted User

Just thought I'd drop in and explain the data transfer rates for EFIlive V5.

EFIlive V5 achieves an update rate of 10 frames per second with up to 24 data items per frame.

The 24 data items are user selectable from a list of over 150 engine, emission and transmission parameters.

Using EFIlive V5 you are be able to monitor/log/chart just about everything important (tuning wise) at 10 frames per second. I do not know of any scan tool that is available to the public that can do this.

Previous comments/comparisons between the speed of EFIlive V5 and other scan tools claim that the data transfer rate is bound by the SAE-J1850 protocol. That is true - but that protocol allows for very fast data rates. Some scan tools use only the basic message request functionality of the SAE-J1979 standard, which means that the more parameters that are selected the slower the transfer rate will be.

EFIlive uses a complicated and very efficient data transfer technique to provide real time data feedback. That will always provide 10 frames per second whether you want to display 1 parameter or 24 parameters.

Future releases of EFIlive V5 will allow spark and fuel tables to be overridden so you can easily "play" with your advance and fuel mixtures while running on a dyno. To do this EFIlive V5 must be able to sustain very high data transfer rates of the required parameters (MAP, MAF, RPM SPARK, AFR etc).
EFIlive V5 can achieve 40 frames per second in this mode of operation. Although in reality some bandwith will to be used to "send" the spark and fuel adjustments to the ECM. But even at 20 frames per second EFIlive V5 is orders of magnitude faster than other scan tools.

Regards
Paul
Old 12-31-2001, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Sorry about inacurate information. I have not read through the ASE specs just the iso. Of course the ISO does not really cover any detailed information just references the ASE. Guess I may be switching soon to your software since autotap is entirely to slow even with just one or two parameters.

Paul, looked over the web page, it does not mention minimum system requirements for the computer that the software runs on. Also does not mention how long the standalone box can store data with say 24 parameters. A little more details on the webpage would be helpful.

Gary

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: red ws6 99 ]</p>
Old 01-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Restricted User

Hi Gary,

I was under the same belief as you when we first began designing EFIlive V5, that the speed was going to be too slow to make a useful diagnostic tool. But with a lot of carefully designed software and hardware we acheived our 10 frames per second.

EFIlive V5 does not currently support the ISO 19141-2 protocol. The hardware interface is ISO-9141-2 ready, so when EFIlive V5 software supports the ISO protocol anyone who has already purchased the interface will be able to use the ISO interface immediately. The same goes for the J1850-PWM protocol.

As for the minimum PC specs, it will run on just about any pentium/windows based system with at least 12 Mb of free memory and 5Mb free disk. The PC must have a serial port but as most laptops on sale today do not have a serial port, a USB-rs232 converter can also be used.
It is not a standalone interface - it requires a windows based PC to be connected.
With a PC connected you can monitor data indefinitely and you can log all 24 channels at 10 frames per second, non-stop for 100000 frames, which is about 2 hours and 40 minutes.

More information will be posted on the web site after the Christmas/New Year break.

Regards
Paul
Old 01-01-2002, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

[quote]Originally posted by EFIliveV5:
<strong>Future releases of EFIlive V5 will allow spark and fuel tables to be overridden so you can easily "play" with your advance and fuel mixtures while running on a dyno.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Will these changes be permanent, or only effected while the scan tool selects them?

Chris
Old 01-01-2002, 06:33 AM
Teching In

which tables will be adjusted? thier are many tables apparently that will effect timing and fuel, also tables we don't use, like speed density.

Also what about the tables in thier that detune the motor when it detects abuse. TM is part of it, it does it for A4's and probably m6 as well in australia.

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: vt2vx ]</p>
Old 01-01-2002, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Perhaps someday this product could be developed for use with a PocketPC or Palm device.

Quick Reply: EFIlive V5 (OBD-II) another LS1 Edit?