Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ease ? (Team ZR-1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ease ? (Team ZR-1)

Glad to have run across you.... thanks for the reply to my post this morning.
Having been used to DataMaster for my LT1, the Ease stuff seems way more complicated of a user interface than it needed to be, but I haven't used it that much, nor put much time into it
(northeast weather makes it hard to get motivated)

Anyway, what sort of data rate are you seeing. I have made a parameter set of ~20 items and saved it for my initial exposure to scaning the LS1.
I'm seeing anywhere from 6 to 8 frames a sec on my IBM celeron 500 laptop running XP. Sound right to you? Seems slow to me.

Read your post reccomending del torque parameters and tcc, havn't even thought about looking into A4 based parameters yet. I have GM Enh Pro package for laptop, I assume all that is available to me.
A little dissapointed in the hand held package, but I'm told the enhanced set should be available in the near future.

Have any baseline do's/don'ts when it comes to Ease?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Ease ? (Team ZR-1)

Ease was designed to give the most features it could to comply with EPA rules for scanners and also what nameplates ( like G.M requested) and service techs.

PCMs are a different animal then the older ECMs due to all the requiresments of EPA and OBD-II.
Everything within PCM and external link functions have to have a protocol added to every frame and all have to go over a single processor bus.
Thus PCM is slower then ECM is.

If you have 20 functions being concurrently queried at 8 frames per second that's 20*8=160 replies a second.

With Ease you can speed things up somewhat by doing three things.
Turning off/or on "Fast data Packets" will change how much can be data is captured a second.

Turning off requests for DTCs while requesting functions monitored values will allow PCM more cpu time for function value requests and

Each parameter can be custom changed as to how oftem they are asked to reply with their values.
Such as ECT ( water temp) you could set so it is requesting less per second but LTFT you set to fastest so that is asks more often then ECT does.

Setup "User parameters" make up groups, each having functions you want to be monitored and then all you need to do it click on user and the group you want and they are monitored. Thus you could have one group that does both B1 and B2 functions, and another group with just B1 or B2, thus less functions being monitored and more bus/cpu for the fewer functions being monitored.

Depending on the version of MS windows you are using make sure the com port is not being shared with another laptop function slowing down access to the com port.

The handheld pocket P/C or PDA version is generic for G.M but by March Ease will also make it enhanced and support bi-directional.

I have the Pocket P/C, personal enhanced and pro versions. I use Pro most because of the bi-directional functions.
The handheld is great when on the racetrack and then I upload it to the laptop version where I replay or export it to Excel where I designed template sheets that suck in the raw Ease data, analyzes and computes all the functions into results I want to see.

The only do not is, if you import many recordings that people send you and you import them into your Ease, make sure they entered a license number in each recording and your using the personal version. ( this is not an issue with pro version since its unlimited cars)

Ease automaticly moves a recording to a car's own folder. When you import a recording, Ease first looks at the license number and places recording to a car via that Lic number.

If there is license plate number, you could have 10 traces from the same car being imported but without a license plate, each recording would be counted as a different car and personal version allows a max of 20 cars to be monitored.

Thus those 10 recordings would have been assigned to just one car, but now are counted as 10 cars.

[quote]Originally posted by johnl_96Z/02TA:
<strong>Glad to have run across you.... thanks for the reply to my post this morning.
Having been used to DataMaster for my LT1, the Ease stuff seems way more complicated of a user interface than it needed to be, but I haven't used it that much, nor put much time into it
(northeast weather makes it hard to get motivated)

Anyway, what sort of data rate are you seeing. I have made a parameter set of ~20 items and saved it for my initial exposure to scaning the LS1.
I'm seeing anywhere from 6 to 8 frames a sec on my IBM celeron 500 laptop running XP. Sound right to you? Seems slow to me.

Read your post reccomending del torque parameters and tcc, havn't even thought about looking into A4 based parameters yet. I have GM Enh Pro package for laptop, I assume all that is available to me.
A little dissapointed in the hand held package, but I'm told the enhanced set should be available in the near future.

Have any baseline do's/don'ts when it comes to Ease?

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 01-30-2002, 04:10 AM
Teching In

[quote]Originally posted by Team ZR-1:

With Ease you can speed things up somewhat by doing three things.
Turning off/or on "Fast data Packets" will change how much can be data is captured a second.

Turning off requests for DTCs while requesting functions monitored values will allow PCM more cpu time for function value requests and

[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

The words tend to make one assume that turning off "fast data packets" would possibly slow down the data rate, so I never messed with that setting.

I did set the dtc parameter after I read that it wouldn't automatically show codes (if one poped) during recording. Thinking about that, it did seemed to grab more data before I added that parameter.

Have you ever "deleted" the factory default user?
Seems like I want to try that, but I didn't know what effect that would have. Seeems the "factory default user" is pretty well integrated into the program shell. I need to get in there and rid myself of the default sample data and cars.

I think its odd that I have to define a Camaro as the car model as Firbird default is the 3800 v-6 and doesn't allow for the 5.7 v8. I quickly decided on the pro version when I orderd the packages because of the vehicle limits of 20.

Since I'm using XP on the laptop, is it op system idependent that the "gage view" cannot be resized?
That window pops up without the ability to resize it. Is that just the way it is. I like the min/max gage display, but only 3 max parameters
and limited variables to what each of the three views can display seems like an odd constrant.
I've moved the parameters higher on the list so I can some what control what is available on the gage veiw, but I want to quickly glance at that view and see timming, retard and both ltfts at a time..... any pointers in that direction?

If you have been on the LT1 Edit list at all,
I found it "most enlightening" that a bone stock car has "block learn splits" of sometimes +/- 5%
It has always been an item that the "shade tree tuners" (myself included) have chased around on occasion trying to control.

Thanks for the conversation
Old 01-31-2002, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

I never use default, I have it setup where I login as a user and then it use the user group parameter sets I have made up.

There is 1 to 9 meters. the more meters seen at the same time the smaller they are, less larger.

I start the recording then go to meters and use the 4 meters screen.
All functions you want to meter can be customized. You can get a live color bar, like if it is knock, set color to turn yellow when getting to 3 degrees knock and turn read when 9 degrees.

Being 9 meters is the max, it goes by the top 9 parameters in the list, thus I make sure the functions I want to be seen in a meter is the top 9 in the realtime screen.
To me unless there is something really wrong with engine B1 and B2 are close enough not to have to meter both sides.

Being I export all recording and then analyze them deeply in Excel, I tend to use the min/max meters for a look see while driving but then do my tuning changes as what my excel spreadsheet math tells me.