PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS died and the car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS died and the car won't start...

OK here's the story. I drove over to Peru Indiana for an autocross event. Pulled into the parking lot and turned the car off and went to register. Once I was registered I walked over, started the car again, and pulled it up to the tech line, and again turned the car off. Got back in the car to pull out of tech and when I put the key in the ignition the damned security light started blinking on the dash and the car would not start. We then hooked up autotap and saw that it was thowing a security code (something to do with the fuel being cut off security code something or other). We cleared the code and again when I stuck the key in and turned it on the damned thing was deader then a doornail. I then had GM tow it to the dealer under the factory warranty. I suspect that the VATS system for whatever reason is no longer recognising my keys. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there any way to disable the VATS system? It really sucks to pay that much for a car and then get in it with the key and it won't start. I ended up missing out on a beautiful day of Auto-X so I wasn't too happy. Let me know your thoughts on this one.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Default Re: VATS died and the car won't start...

Here some info from another post on LS1.com archive, i hope it helps:

What you have to do is take off the panel on the steereing column that goes in front of your knees. Under that column you will see a piece of shrink wrap around two wires that comes down from the key and goes into the car. The shrink wrap is usually orange or black. It should have only two wires in it usually white in color. DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES IN A YELLOW WIRE LOOM!!!!! Those are the airbag wires and if you cut them the sirbag will instantly go off and you will have a big problem. Back in the shrink wrap, cut away the wrap to reveal the wires. Cut the wires one at a time. Then what you need to do is take your key and measure the resistance in the chip with an ohm meter. You will need to get a resistor that matches the key. You have to be within 5% of the actual key resistance or it will not work. When you get the resistor take the wire ends that go into the car and put the resistor in line. Cap off the ends that go to the key and you should be all set. Make sure you use a butt connector or something similar to connect the resistor to both wires or it will come off and you will be stuck somewhere. I work at a mobile electronics store and i have to do this all the time for remote starters in gm vehicles.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

You can disable the VATS function with LS1 Edit.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I just heard from the dealership where I had the car towed to and they are going to fix it under warranty. If it ever happens again I think I'll just make a quick trip to radio shack fr a resistor and some solder.

Thanks again

Mike