Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car turn offs at high revs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car turn offs at high revs

I need some help. I have a 2000 TA with a T56 and sometimes when I take the car above 5000 rpms the car just dies and I have to restart and it restarts after a couple of tries. Mind you that it only does it some times. It also back fires a bit when it turns off. I have changed the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires and it still does this. The car has done this since i bought it with 43,000 and now it has 140,000. Yeah I don't race it much, its a daily driver. I heard that it could be the crankshaft position sensor, could some one verify that for me. When it turns off it feels like the car lost fuel delivery. my engine light is not on telling me that theres a code. are these symtoms of a bad crankshaft position sensor.

Abe
Old 01-08-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

And last night I was racing it and took the revs over 5K and went to shift and it started sputtering, pushed the gas and nothing until it turn off. Can someone help me out?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like you have a loose battery cable.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

huh that never crossed my mind. I will check the battery cables tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

I raced the car again and it turn off again but this time it was hard to turn it back on seem like it was'nt getting any spark.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a bad pcm ground maybe, when you start it up to the guages go through a full sweep?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

I dont I find out tomorrow? Hey do you think is the crankshaft position sensor? The cars runs great. It only happens when I revved close 5K.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I have a '98 vette with a similar problem. It cuts out above 5k RPM when the temp hits 195. Chev dealer cannot find the problem. I suspect the ground also.... If the crank sensor is bad it usually shows a spike in the realtime scan. Did you find/fix your problem?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to clean the maf.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Teching In

MAF was replaced to see if it would affect issue - no change....
Old 01-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Teching In

I am having similar problems that all started this past Sat. Cam has been installed 3 months now. Sat. morning car wouldnt start without me having to give it throttle. I think I still need to tweak my RAF. But after I get it idling and pulled out of drive the car dies. Get it fired back up and it stumbles but stays running. I get +/- a mile from house on straight road and SES comes on, 5-10 seconds later car dies. Pull in someones drive and hook laptop up, the code is "Crankshaft position sensor - performane failure". This code has never came on since I have owned the car before and after cam. I delete code and after 40 minutes of cranking, car starts, but wont stay running. Put car in gear once it idles and dies immediately. Then all the sudden it stays idling, put it in gear and it does fine and i go back home. I unplugged battery, then crack TB blade 1/8th more, adjust RAF to give a hair more air, and car starts up OK on its own with no throttle to help it.
Could I also have a Crank Sensor on the outs or is this just a fluke and not worry about it? Does anyone have a part number for this sensor and is it located above the starter like I think it is? Could all this be a ground loose? My car has 29,200 miles on it also and is a garage queen. Sorry for the long post but after I read this it sounds like i am having similar problems like you guys are having.

John
Old 01-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Teching In

I also have new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, clean MAF, plug wires, etc. And to note sometimes, not all the time, the tach wont work for a few minutes when idling
Old 01-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Teching In

This was happening to a friend of mine in an older cavalier. Different motor, but possibly the same issue. It turned out to be a bad fuel injector. I believe it was shorting out.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't fixed the problem. I will try to clean the MAF because when I cleaned the K&N filter the MAF did seem a little dirty and we will see. BTW the RPM gauge stops working and then it kick in after a while. I wish I had a scanner!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abe99
I will try to clean the MAF because when I cleaned the K&N filter the MAF did seem a little dirty and we will see.
A quicker way to tell if it's the MAF is to unplug it. If it acts the same with it unplugged that wasn't the problem. I've had problems in the upper RPM's with a bad maf before.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cocked N Locked
I am having similar problems that all started this past Sat. Cam has been installed 3 months now. Sat. morning car wouldnt start without me having to give it throttle. I think I still need to tweak my RAF. But after I get it idling and pulled out of drive the car dies. Get it fired back up and it stumbles but stays running. I get +/- a mile from house on straight road and SES comes on, 5-10 seconds later car dies. Pull in someones drive and hook laptop up, the code is "Crankshaft position sensor - performane failure". This code has never came on since I have owned the car before and after cam. I delete code and after 40 minutes of cranking, car starts, but wont stay running. Put car in gear once it idles and dies immediately. Then all the sudden it stays idling, put it in gear and it does fine and i go back home. I unplugged battery, then crack TB blade 1/8th more, adjust RAF to give a hair more air, and car starts up OK on its own with no throttle to help it.
Could I also have a Crank Sensor on the outs or is this just a fluke and not worry about it? Does anyone have a part number for this sensor and is it located above the starter like I think it is? Could all this be a ground loose? My car has 29,200 miles on it also and is a garage queen. Sorry for the long post but after I read this it sounds like i am having similar problems like you guys are having.

John
I can tell you that when I put my headers on I didnt pay any attention to the CPS wires and they were laying on the header . The engine was sputtering at about 3000rpm and up. So you may want to check that just in case, the wires are close to the passenger side header.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Teching In

What are the CPS wires?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

CPS I thinkg he is referring to the crankshaft position sensor.