Sponsored by:

Which OBD tool for my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OBD tool for my Camaro?

I've tried:

Actron 9145: Doesn't show "extended" OBD codes (like Knock Retard) and it's impossible to reach them (40+ phone calls over a whole week, get initial greeting then any option gives busy signal). Returned.

Scantool.net (not the new Elmscan 5, the old one): does not show KR or other extended codes. No options or plans to do so. Sold on Ebay.

LS1M.COM - Still have it, shows some extended codes (like KR) but missing most. Would like to see if my TC is locked or not for example, plus many other things. Would also like to have one to work with Ford and Chrysler. NOTE: would pay a LOT MORE for this product if it just simply read more extended data. This one will probably be sold if I find an alternative that reads more and works with Ford and Chrysler.

Autotap: it appears from their web site that they won't do "knock retard" or other extended codes unless I buy the $250 EXTRA option ON TOP of the $199 package ($450 pretty steep just to view stuff, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that please)

Can anyone suggest a scantool that can read more of the extended codes for OBDII? I have both a Palm and a Laptop with both serial and USB, or I'd consider a handheld too.

This is nuts!!!! I had a $80 scan tool for OBDI in my 1993 Z28 that did WAY more than anything I can find for OBDII in the sub-$250 range.... it showed KR and TC LOCKED STATUS and tons of other stuff, there HAS to be SOMETHING out there that does this for OBDII that does't require a mortgage on my house. (Please don't suggest HPTUNERS or EDIT or anything exceeding $250, most driveway mechanics like myself can't afford those as options).

ANY advice is appreciated greatly.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are not real clear on what year and type vehicle you want to use it on. The autotap I bought probably 4 years ago will log all the extended parameters you are talking about on the LSx vehicles. It won't log some of them on 96-97 OBD2 LT1 vehicles. I think it is model AT-1. They will sometimes come up for sale for usually $100 or so. There are a lot of people that had them and now use the HPT or EFILive scanners. You might try posting something in the WTB section.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You are not real clear on what year and type vehicle you want to use it on. The autotap I bought probably 4 years ago will log all the extended parameters you are talking about on the LSx vehicles. It won't log some of them on 96-97 OBD2 LT1 vehicles. I think it is model AT-1. They will sometimes come up for sale for usually $100 or so. There are a lot of people that had them and now use the HPT or EFILive scanners. You might try posting something in the WTB section.
I want to view realtime (and log/save if possible) all sensor and Extended data in OBDII in GM, Ford, and Chrysler, including higher detailed things like KR and TC ENGAGED Status and all the other details, for like $250 or less. No tuning. No shiftpoint modificatioin. JUST view stuff.

Thanks for that tip, will be adding it to the list to research.

The cheap one I had for my 1993 OBDI would show things like Primary Fan on/off, Secondary Fan on/off, Torque Converter Locked yes/no, gear selected, lots of detail way better than these last several more expensive OBDII ones I've tested. It's hard to believe I can't find one of these.

The higher detail is very useful for stuff you don't even think of. For example, if I can see that the computer is calling for the torque converter to be locked, I shouldn't see any RPM increase without a directly proportional MPH increase or the TC or Tranny's slipping. That's the stuff I was able to do with my OBDI tool and want to be able to do with whatever new one I find.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I paid around $220 for the GM only Autotap AT-1 4 years ago. I think at the time the Autotap that would scan all 3, GM Ford and Chrysler was considerably more. Possibly around $400 or more. I've never run across anyone selling a used A-tap for all 3.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

You can get EASE software for around $300+ dollars. Does full scanning and bidirectional for CASE Learn, and other functions. It is an OEM software and has all the enhanced and CAN values. If you want to get further, you can add modules (BCM, etc) for further scanning. Other option would be EFILive, esp if you were thinking of adding tuning in the future.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Teching In

I don't know anything about this one, but maybe you can ask them if it does the extended stuff. I'd be curious how well this works, i'd like to get a scan tool myself. Maybe someone here knows something about it.

http://www.myscantool.com/ls1tech/
Old 01-29-2006, 04:32 AM
Teching In

Ok, the suspense was killing me, so i asked them myself about the KR, fans, TC Stall and other extra stuff, and they replied:

"We have a Camaro as well, and this is - in part why this tool was
designed.
So, yes, it can help you!
Thanks,
Amber Gore"
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol they don't list it on their site & that is a very vague answer...I would say it doesnt support KR at this point.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foff667
lol they don't list it on their site & that is a very vague answer...I would say it doesnt support KR at this point.
I think I have the answer. I just won an auction on ebay for the scantool that can be seen at www.bowserelectronics.com. The auction was $120 and they offered 20% off of the extended packs (making the GM extended data pack $80), making the grand total $200 + shipping.

From their web site, it looks like this does it all. It's just too expensive if bought on the web site.

The tool works with multiple OBDII protocols so it works with Ford and such, but it won't do the manufacturer specific stuff on Fords unless I buy that pack, but I can buy that any time. So, if this works out and I get a Mustang or whatever next year, I can buy the Ford pack then if I need it.

I will post here and let you know how it works out. Note that if you buy this off their web site, the price is way too high, you should buy it on ebay. It looks like they have a continual listing of like 3 items all the time.

If this does more than the LS1M device, I will probably be selling the LS1M if anyone's interested.

Quick Reply: Which OBD tool for my Camaro?