PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

changing mass air sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002 | 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Default changing mass air sensors

I'm wanting to relocate the mass air sensor on my 01 Tahoe to use a NX Gemini nitrous system.My problem is that the housing for the nitrous system requires that I install the electronics from mass air sensor into the NX housing .The sensor in my truck is one piece ,is there a suitable sensor with sandwiched electronics I can substitute and what modifacations will be needed to make it work.Thanks for your help.whitt1
Old 11-01-2002 | 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: changing mass air sensors

What you will run in to be that you have an 85mm maf and the NOS system is for the 75mm maf that’s on the lt1/ls1 camaro and vet "non z06" I think there where other gm models that used the 75mm maf... the 85mm will not come apart like the 75mm.
When you say NX housing, I’m guessing you’re talking about what I know as MAF end on the 75mm maf...

Well to make a long story short you’re going to have a lot of problems using that NOS system... your wiring harness is different for the requirement of the 75mm maf. You will also find that the 85mm maf has the IAT sensor inside the housing. You should have 5 wires going to your maf, three are for the maf it’s self, the other two are for the IAT. I think it could be possible to hook the 75mm maf to your Tahoe, you would also need an IAT from a camaro “only about $15” where the manger problem will come is getting you’re a/f ratio inline after moving to a smaller maf sensor.

Another idea would be to remove the needles that inject the NOS into the TB out of the NX end and drill holes in your 85mm maf for them to be placed in. I might be wrong but they need to go behind the maf sensors.

i dont have NOS on my car so i cant be of 100% help to you SORRY!