PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

newbie really needing help understanding ls1 crank and cam sensor functions help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:41 PM
Teching In

Default newbie really needing help understanding ls1 crank and cam sensor functions help!

hey guys im a newbie here and am desperate for some help,im adapting a ls1 ecu to another brand engine and have a few questions i hope someone can help me answer.the first question is,what is the actual function of the ls1s cam sensor,i am very familiar with the ls1 and know that on the earlier motors they had it located on the camshaft and on the ls2 style it was located on the upper cam gear,same idea,just different placement,they were both half moon shaped.the only thing i can gather is that its main function is to tell the engine if its on the compression or exhaust stroke.thus the reason for only 2 differnt possible readings.what else does the cam sensor do?i also know that the placment of the magnetic pickup wheel or crank trigger is on the crank and is very particular about the placement of the wheel in relation to tdc.im not sure if anyone can answer this,but how would the ls1 ecu interpet a different or number of pulses from the cam sensor and crank sensor?would it see what it needs to see and that the cam timing and crank timing are correct or would it freak it out?my engine now also has a reluctor wheel on the crank in the virtually identical location as the ls1,but my cam sensor has multiple slots as opposed to the ls1s 180 degree reading possibility.i am about to put the motor in and dont want to have to pull it out so if i needed to do something different for the cam and crank triggers,id like to do it before the engine is in.any help you guys can give would be so so appreciated.
Old 02-17-2006 | 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Just curious why you are using the LS1 PCM for another engine? Also, are you using the LS1 sensors? If not, compability will be an issue.

One thing to think about is the engine will start with a high or low cam sensor signal, it will just have extending cranking when starting because the PCM is searching for the correct stroke. However, it will not start if the crank sensor signal is too far off either way (voltage wise). So the relationship between the reluctor wheel on the crank and the crank sensor itself is critical. I have the GM manuals and don't remember seeing it mention the exact measurement between the reluctor ring and sensor. The LS1 has a 24X reluctor ring, do you happen to know the type for your engine?
Old 02-17-2006 | 08:06 PM
Teching In

when you say 24x what exactly do you mean?are you talking about the tooth count?i thought the ls1 reluctor wheel had a 60 tooth count less 2 teeth.i want to use the ls1 ecu because truthfully,it offers the best place to start tuning a efi system over say a fast or dfi,i can learn to tune it as i go along and it also offers the most recent and up to date research on the market,no other factory ecu that i know of has had as many people tinkering,toying and constantly improving on than the ls1 ecu.i worked at mti for over 5 years and have seen serious machines jason tuned with great drivability.plus,by bastarding the ls1 ecu to this motor,i have to really understand from the ground up the exact workings of efi,that is something ive always wanted to do,just never took the time.
Old 02-17-2006 | 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

X= notch. So 24X means 24 notches on the reluctor wheel. The LS1 and LS6 both have a 24X reluctor wheel on the crank and a 1X reluctor wheel on the camshaft. The 58X reluctor wheel you are referring to is the LS7 engine.

Some additional info; Both the cranfshaft sensor (CKP) and camshaft sensor (CMP) generate a magnetic field which is interrupted by the reluctor wheels as they rotate, the sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads.
So the relationship between the wheel and sensor is critical (especially the crank) which can pose a problem when using a custom application such as yours. Have you decided on a tuning software yet?

BTW - How about some details of your project? You're awfully
Old 02-18-2006 | 06:07 PM
Teching In

no not yet,that brings me to another question,what software do you guys recommend with a turbo motor?
Old 02-18-2006 | 08:27 PM
Teching In

no,i checked my tooth count,its 32 not 24.