PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True LS1 Real Time Tuning Is Now Available !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great! Now I am going to have to buy a 99+ Fbody

John
Old 02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet this is awesome.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so its basically $1100+ the cost of actually buying efilive + a wideband or whathave you...so if your starting up the initial investment would run you $1800-2000. A bit too pricey for my taste...Is this going to be marketed towards tunershops mainly I guess? Even as a weekend tuner that is just too far out of my pricerange to even consider it.

Last edited by horist; 02-24-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foff667
so its basically $1100+ the cost of actually buying efilive + a wideband or whathave you...so if your starting up the initial investment would run you $1800-2000. A bit too pricey for my taste...Is this going to be marketed towards tunershops mainly I guess? Even as a weekend tuner that is just too far out of my pricerange to even consider it.
I agree foff667, the pricing is outta my league, but the only other stuff out there is $20K, so for 10% of the price $2K seems like a bargain
Old 02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
FormerVendor

You gotta pay to play R&D costs money and people have to eat
Old 02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems to be a sweet setup, just too bad I can't use it,with a 98 car

Ryan
Old 02-24-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Buy a 99+ pcm and cluster and convert it so you can also benifit

you cant just "swap" in a 99 pcm. its not just the gauge cluster. id rather sacrifice it and continue to use hpt. besides im workin with hpt for some THINGS

live editing is bad *** thats all, even though its like 1700. i just think its about time.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Right...however, it's spelled differently. I may be wrong but I think the "RoadRunner" name is unique to Time Warner and its subsequant companies (the cartoon character, as well). I guess I'm more curious of the similarities...I would be some-what conscious to name my company or product that close to that name.
Nah they used the roadrunner character to advertise their car, the horn on roadrunners even is that "beepbeep" sound. =).

What exactly does real time live tuning do?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
you cant just "swap" in a 99 pcm. its not just the gauge cluster. id rather sacrifice it and continue to use hpt. besides im workin with hpt for some THINGS

live editing is bad *** thats all, even though its like 1700. i just think its about time.

You re-pin a 98 harness to a 99 harness, buy the 99+ PCM and buy the cluster. Ive seen it done a couple of times....
Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

it's not that simple to keep everything working. EVAP systems work differently, fuel level sender units are different, and the pinout for the cluster is different as well.

Ryan
Old 02-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Nevermind. Nothing for the 98's.
Yet.
I'm not saying I'll be able to pull it off, but I'll try. I know you guys are the 'stepchild' of the LS1 community when it comes to product availability. Game is not over, but like the LS2/LS7 possibilities, don't hold your breath to the point of passing out (unless you like that sort of thing).
Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Teching In

You're right, it is a bit pricey. One thing to consider is that all you really need to make the realtime changes is the hardware and license for $895+$199. Theoretically you could do all your tuning without a datalogging device. Obviously it's better to have everything going for you though.

Also, consider that the RoadRunner has imbedded hardware which will be capable of integrated OBD2 datalogging and 3-channel A/D conversion, all from within the Emulating PCM. EFI Live, along with the RoadRunner firmware, will be upgraded over time to provide support for this functionality directly through the same cable (or lack thereof via Bluetooth) as the emulation.

This integrated/imbedded data acquisition capability is the next initiative which is being tackled. It will be challenging from our perspective, without a big payout in terms of additional hardware or licensing profit. However, it is functionality that can be achieved which will benefit the end user. Thus, it is being pursued. Timeline for completion is unknown, so consider the reality that the system currently lacks these features. At the same time, remember that we're working toward it.

Hope this helps,
-Craig
Old 02-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Does this work for LS2s?

Seems prety cool, I'm looking into another purchase right now, but this seems pretty col!

so all I need is this moates thing and an EFI Live license?

I don't own any tuneing software yet, but working on it, so howmuch wood this cost me?

Last edited by 94white28; 02-25-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, something else to confuse my choice in tuning software.

I don't own a laptop as I just bought a desktop 6 months ago and spent upwards of $2200 on it so adding the cost of a laptop is a consideration for me. I was looking at going with the EFI Live flashscan since it would allow me to data log a good amount of drive time, then take that info and make neccesary changes, then use the Flashscan tool to flash the new program into my car.

If I'm reading correctly (only on the first cup of coffee) this will allow someone with a laptop to make changes instantly on the fly which is pretty cool.

And I was worried that once they stopped making F-bodies the aftermarket would die off....
Old 02-25-2006, 08:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Craig Moates
You're right, it is a bit pricey. One thing to consider is that all you really need to make the realtime changes is the hardware and license for $895+$199. Theoretically you could do all your tuning without a datalogging device. Obviously it's better to have everything going for you though.

Also, consider that the RoadRunner has imbedded hardware which will be capable of integrated OBD2 datalogging and 3-channel A/D conversion, all from within the Emulating PCM. EFI Live, along with the RoadRunner firmware, will be upgraded over time to provide support for this functionality directly through the same cable (or lack thereof via Bluetooth) as the emulation.

This integrated/imbedded data acquisition capability is the next initiative which is being tackled. It will be challenging from our perspective, without a big payout in terms of additional hardware or licensing profit. However, it is functionality that can be achieved which will benefit the end user. Thus, it is being pursued. Timeline for completion is unknown, so consider the reality that the system currently lacks these features. At the same time, remember that we're working toward it.

Hope this helps,
-Craig
the link for the info was kinda vague...how exactly does the system work? For instance lets say I have a 99 cam only car with 4.30 gears ls6 intake & stock maf & I want to do a full tune which would consist of a primary & secondary ve,maf, & ref remap as well as dozens of other changes...I go through the program and set all the base parameters...now what can this do for me? Do I set the OLFA table to say 13.0:1 & then tell your side of the program to get the ve pri/sec within 2% or something like that? go out and log or what have you and it will do it on the fly then hook the maf back up and tell your side of it to get the maf within 2% or something to that effect? Im trying to figure out how it works and how much time it would save me in the end. Also would it work with the custom OS's?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

the link for the info was kinda vague...how exactly does the system work? For instance lets say I have a 99 cam only car with 4.30 gears ls6 intake & stock maf & I want to do a full tune which would consist of a primary & secondary ve,maf, & ref remap as well as dozens of other changes
I would upgrade the flash chip and the emulator to a 2002 OS for starters just to get rid of the secondary ve table. After the stock tune is in the emulator i would set it up to run real time. When you are running form the emulator and you make changes in realtie mode the system is updated immediately when you either hit enter or click the mouse. Any parameter that you have changed will be udated immdiately

...I go through the program and set all the base parameters...now what can this do for me? Do I set the OLFA table to say 13.0:1 & then tell your side of the program to get the ve pri/sec within 2% or something like that?
go out and log or what have you and it will do it on the fly then hook the maf back up and tell your side of it to get the maf within 2% or something to that effect?
From what i read with this version you will still have to log and make changes to fueling yourself. In a later revision it will take feedback from an O2 sensor and operate/tune itself like osme of the standalones. In this case it will attemp to get the tune perfect if you are happy with 2% you can stop there if you like.

Im trying to figure out how it works and how much time it would save me in the end. Also would it work with the custom OS's?
The time its gonna save you upfron is no more 30 second flashing that is one. Geoff said he made 50 changes in less that 15 minutes to the tune while the car was running. To me that is a time saver in itself. Looking at you realtime log and making changes on the fly while the car is misbehaving without havign to stop go back look at data, make changes and flash is where you will see all of oyu time savings. This will be great for dyno tuners who are only slotted for an hours worth of time since now you can get more done faster. Compre this to 15 minutes of you searching the web on dialup up as opposed to 15 minutes of searchin ghte web on Comcast or DSL
Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

OK, Ill post pics and video later in a new thread so it will be easier to tune with the Roadrunner and EFILives software, But here goes:

A little Extreame on my modded test car but here goes.

Specs, 1000+hp 408 With about 22-24lbs of boost, Cam is 644 lift, 244 dur and 116 ls. ect, you get the picture....

First i installed the roadrunner pcm into the vehicle. Took about 4 minutes total, Just needed a 7mm and 10mm socket and then ran the wire thru the access port into the vehicle on the passenger side under the computer.

So Far Very simple.

Now, Installation was done, so i started up my EFIlive Tuning software. There is a new button that allows me to connect to the roadrunner computer. I plug in the usb cable comming from the Roadrunner and the laptop says it installed all the correct drivers automatically without even typing in a thing.. No driver disk was needed.

Then it asked for my Registration info so i typed that in, Then it let me hit the Green connect button.

Simple enough, Now im connected to the roadrunner.

I wanted to be fair and Start completely from scratch on the tune and not use any information from my previous completed tune, So i simply loaded up a starter Custom Operating System number 3 That had the stock information in it for the operating system i want. In my case was a 2002 Camaro File. I did the necissary changes for my engine to run like fuel injectors and basics. Also Took off the blower bonnet and put the 1 bar in so i can have it set up for regular vacuum tuning first for drivability.

Ok Ready for start up..

I simply pressed one button to upload my full starter file into the emulator, and it was done very very fast.. I didnt time it, but it was fast....

Now i crank the engine and it starts right up.. Simply amazing.. It is hard to figure out why no one wanted to try to make an emulator for ls1s for all of us? Anyways, Back to the story. lol

I have my wideband hooked up to My Efilive Black box cable and have started the scanner software where i have it set up for the Autotuning for fuel and spark Based off of the tutorials they have in the Help tab.

I began to log the car. The history on the map was showing that i was pretty far off on the tune for fuel. 20 or so percent off, so i just highlighted and copied that table. then went to my tune file that is still open and just pasted and multiplied over on the ve table and now idle fuel is right in line, Did some throttle follower changes and added a little more air via some iac tables and then Added more timing to the base timing table in park.

Within a couple of minutes i have a smooth running vehicle and never had to shut off the car yet. This is fun, Anyways, i think im ready for driving so i left to go down the road, The wife was the copilot, I just had to show her how to press "control and c" and Control and v" so she can copy and paste over the fuel and tables that i asked her to as we drive. I drove around and she just did exactly as i said, transfereing over data from my map files in the scanner software as it was logging, over to my tune software, and the whole thing was dialed in 2 times around the block. I had my fuel right in line and the engine was running very smooth.

So we go back and i put in the 2.5 bar map and set up for the final timing per pound of boost and the fueling tables per pound of boost, i put in an estamated table in the ve and filled in the necissary changes into the tune for the boost and added the boosted ve table numbers into the custom os section and some little stuff.

Turned the key back on and went to start the vehicle but saw that my kpa at key on engine off was at 108, i needed it to be 100, so i just made the change until it got to exactly 100. Hmmm im really starting to like this.. I had 5 changes, so that would have been 5 programs, not including the 18 or more changes i made with the 1 bar on, just for drivability...

Ok, now i have boost, i can only do 5 gear or 6 gear runs or i dont get enough data to log but i tried my best "it climbs rpms to quickly for the pcm show enough scan data"., We drove around country for about 20 minutes at all various pedal posistions and just tried to fill is as much of my maps as i could "safely" and so far so good, Just kept changing the boosted ve table and adding or subtracting timing where needed, And fixing the Throttle decay rates, ect. So far Everything is Awsome, I am completely in love with this thing. I do a wot in 5th gear and get a really good wot reading, make the change, do another and it is right on, so , It was as easy as that,

Now to the highway, One final test before we drove it home to park, lol, all i can say is i think the brand new mt Drag radials are completly gone in less than a couple of hours.........

I let the wife drive it home and me in the passenger seat to double check everything and it looks like it is good.

No shut downs, and you can just test any single table for what ever your heart desires, It makes it easy to test all the little stuff you where afraid of testing before to see if it makes something better or not..

Good thing the wife drove home, It broke a blower belt finally, so i get to blame that on her. lol.........

Ill post videos and some pictures of the whole thing sometime tonight.. Jes
Old 02-25-2006, 09:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wait4me
OK, Ill post pics and video later in a new thread so it will be easier to tune with the Roadrunner and EFILives software, But here goes:

A little Extreame on my modded test car but here goes.

Specs, 1000+hp 408 With about 22-24lbs of boost, Cam is 644 lift, 244 dur and 116 ls. ect, you get the picture....

First i installed the roadrunner pcm into the vehicle. Took about 4 minutes total, Just needed a 7mm and 10mm socket and then ran the wire thru the access port into the vehicle on the passenger side under the computer.

So Far Very simple.

Now, Installation was done, so i started up my EFIlive Tuning software. There is a new button that allows me to connect to the roadrunner computer. I plug in the usb cable comming from the Roadrunner and the laptop says it installed all the correct drivers automatically without even typing in a thing.. No driver disk was needed.

Then it asked for my Registration info so i typed that in, Then it let me hit the Green connect button.

Simple enough, Now im connected to the roadrunner.

I wanted to be fair and Start completely from scratch on the tune and not use any information from my previous completed tune, So i simply loaded up a starter Custom Operating System number 3 That had the stock information in it for the operating system i want. In my case was a 2002 Camaro File. I did the necissary changes for my engine to run like fuel injectors and basics. Also Took off the blower bonnet and put the 1 bar in so i can have it set up for regular vacuum tuning first for drivability.

Ok Ready for start up..

I simply pressed one button to upload my full starter file into the emulator, and it was done very very fast.. I didnt time it, but it was fast....

Now i crank the engine and it starts right up.. Simply amazing.. It is hard to figure out why no one wanted to try to make an emulator for ls1s for all of us? Anyways, Back to the story. lol

I have my wideband hooked up to My Efilive Black box cable and have started the scanner software where i have it set up for the Autotuning for fuel and spark Based off of the tutorials they have in the Help tab.

I began to log the car. The history on the map was showing that i was pretty far off on the tune for fuel. 20 or so percent off, so i just highlighted and copied that table. then went to my tune file that is still open and just pasted and multiplied over on the ve table and now idle fuel is right in line, Did some throttle follower changes and added a little more air via some iac tables and then Added more timing to the base timing table in park.

Within a couple of minutes i have a smooth running vehicle and never had to shut off the car yet. This is fun, Anyways, i think im ready for driving so i left to go down the road, The wife was the copilot, I just had to show her how to press "control and c" and Control and v" so she can copy and paste over the fuel and tables that i asked her to as we drive. I drove around and she just did exactly as i said, transfereing over data from my map files in the scanner software as it was logging, over to my tune software, and the whole thing was dialed in 2 times around the block. I had my fuel right in line and the engine was running very smooth.

So we go back and i put in the 2.5 bar map and set up for the final timing per pound of boost and the fueling tables per pound of boost, i put in an estamated table in the ve and filled in the necissary changes into the tune for the boost and added the boosted ve table numbers into the custom os section and some little stuff.

Turned the key back on and went to start the vehicle but saw that my kpa at key on engine off was at 108, i needed it to be 100, so i just made the change until it got to exactly 100. Hmmm im really starting to like this.. I had 5 changes, so that would have been 5 programs, not including the 18 or more changes i made with the 1 bar on, just for drivability...

Ok, now i have boost, i can only do 5 gear or 6 gear runs or i dont get enough data to log but i tried my best "it climbs rpms to quickly for the pcm show enough scan data"., We drove around country for about 20 minutes at all various pedal posistions and just tried to fill is as much of my maps as i could "safely" and so far so good, Just kept changing the boosted ve table and adding or subtracting timing where needed, And fixing the Throttle decay rates, ect. So far Everything is Awsome, I am completely in love with this thing. I do a wot in 5th gear and get a really good wot reading, make the change, do another and it is right on, so , It was as easy as that,

Now to the highway, One final test before we drove it home to park, lol, all i can say is i think the brand new mt Drag radials are completly gone in less than a couple of hours.........

I let the wife drive it home and me in the passenger seat to double check everything and it looks like it is good.

No shut downs, and you can just test any single table for what ever your heart desires, It makes it easy to test all the little stuff you where afraid of testing before to see if it makes something better or not..

Good thing the wife drove home, It broke a blower belt finally, so i get to blame that on her. lol.........

Ill post videos and some pictures of the whole thing sometime tonight.. Jes
so currently its still a matter of having to copy/paste tables but they take effect immediatly and then once its all said & done you do a final flash back to your stock computer. But The thing I see is your back again to having to use your laptop & even in your case its better to have a buddy system so they can make the changes as your going otherwise you'll still be stopping along side of the road to make changes. The good thing I see is you can make stupid small little changes to tables that maybe you've never messed with before to see if they help which could prove very valuable in idle tuning I would think as well as steady state dyno tuning.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

well, at this time you do have to tell it what you want, But soon In another version Paul informed us that it will have a "auto" fueling without us touching anything.. But it is so simple anyways. That would not even be that big of a deal to do manually..
Old 02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Specs, 1000+hp 408 With about 22-24lbs of boost,
holy cow

Quick Reply: True LS1 Real Time Tuning Is Now Available !!!