PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband temporary install for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wideband temporary install for tuning?

Are any of you installing the wideband temporarily for tuning and then removing it?

I was trying to figure out how to install it, and if I go before the cats it means putting an extra bung in my coated headers. If I wire it to run as a wideband andd narrow band I'm afraid I'll burn it up in no time since the 02 bung is right at the collector.

So I was thinking of running it there but then removing it once I get the tune completed. Is anyone else doing this and if so how?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run it at the Y if you only care about tuning WOT, only p/t will be affected by the cats. Otherwise, it wont hurt to have a second bung on one side as close to teh cats as you can. Just use the plug when youre done.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I'll be concentrating on driveability and Idle tuning. I suppose I can just assume it will read a bit leaner after the cats and either use the rear 02 bungs or add bungs to the y pipe instead of the headers - thoughts?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

it wont be predictable how much leaner it will be. Dont you have port scans in jersy? Just chissle out your cats and tune away if thats not an option, youre gonna have to take your chances up on a collector. The wideband sensor can be had as cheap as 55 if i recall, so its not that big a deal if you fry it after a crapload of tuning.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which WB are you using? If it is an LM-1 or LC-1 then you can replace one of your factory pre-cat sensors. I did this on my 05 GTO this past weekend and it worked great. You just need to route one of the analog outputs to the O2 connector going to the PCM and setup the LC or LM to simulate a narrowband output.

Tim
Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

in the past... I've replaced the PRE CAT sensor w/my wideband... and then forced open loop SD ... tuned, and then setup back to stock
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
in the past... I've replaced the PRE CAT sensor w/my wideband... and then forced open loop SD ... tuned, and then setup back to stock
Isn't tuning a breeze with a good WB?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
it wont be predictable how much leaner it will be. Dont you have port scans in jersy? Just chissle out your cats and tune away if thats not an option, youre gonna have to take your chances up on a collector. The wideband sensor can be had as cheap as 55 if i recall, so its not that big a deal if you fry it after a crapload of tuning.
Don't understand the port scans question?

I think you're saying to add a bung to the collector and then plug it when I'm done tuning?

Which WB are you using? If it is an LM-1 or LC-1 then you can replace one of your factory pre-cat sensors. I did this on my 05 GTO this past weekend and it worked great. You just need to route one of the analog outputs to the O2 connector going to the PCM and setup the LC or LM to simulate a narrowband output.

Tim
Using the LC-1. Did you then put the 02 sensor back in or are you running with the wideband in there?

How do you force open loop SD?

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated
Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Port scans = OBD-II inspection testing. They dont hook up a snifferr to the exhaust anymore. They have it here in NY now.

Yes, either replace your narrowband o2 (hard way) or just have the second bung installed (easier way) and cap it when youre done. Of like it was suggested, run O/L till youre done, and the stock o2 sensors wont make a bit of difference.

To force open loop, simply up the closed loop enable temp to 255 or something rediculous that you wont actually hit.

Quick Reply: Wideband temporary install for tuning?