PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone with SD tune issue: VERY lean on starts after certain time delay.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both as in, you have this problem with the maf plugged in and tuned out, and unplugged tuned out?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

i have a cold start lean like above 18:1 MAF plugged in tuned out in CLSD. When the car warms up it gets better.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
both as in, you have this problem with the maf plugged in and tuned out, and unplugged tuned out?
My MAF is disabled in the tune and is not on the car.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here...I've had the problem with the MAF plugged in and tuned out, as well as completely removed from the car. The bias filter seems to have band-aided it enough for me to work with, although my car wasn't particularly bad with this problem to begin with.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Same thing on my car. It has the lean on cold start issue, although not very bad or for very long. The lean on warm restart that goes away after 2K. I've been playing with the airflow tables to see if that was it on the cold start. I'll keep messing with it and post results as I go.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Post 13
http://www.forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3170
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is nto the issue, for me at least. I zeroed out all thsi stuff and it has a small effect, but the main cause of the issue is a heat soaked IAT as well as poor calculations based on IAT, IMO
Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check your logs. When you see this lean idle are you in open or closed loop at the time?

True cold-start or start-up enrichment only lasts for a few seconds, so I'm sure that's not where your problem is.

Though it may be labeled differently in different year tunes, each code will have a table that adjusts your air-fuel ratio based on coolant temp. Some tunes call this the OLFA. This table is not all or even partially zero'd from the factory. This table adds fuel for lower coolant temps for a reason.

I believe the values in this table is your base fueling (not your base AFR). If this table isn't correct, then any corrections being applied will be very far off the mark when watching your WBO2.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
That is nto the issue, for me at least. I zeroed out all thsi stuff and it has a small effect, but the main cause of the issue is a heat soaked IAT as well as poor calculations based on IAT, IMO
zeroing out is not what i had in mind. You would want to add more fuel to compensate for the start up airflows. Recall, that as ECT goes down, your RAF table adds more air to maintain idle. If you dialed in your VE table filtering out low ECT's none of then startup air or low ECT RAF air is accounted for.

If you didn't filter out low ECT's you likely collected enough normal operating temp data to average out the low ECT effect.

Double check the link above and scroll down a bit to the screen shots I posted.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Commanding the desired EQ in open loop fueling would probably work to, but I'm on OS5 (MAP vs RPM not MAP vs ECT)."

What table are you talking about.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe it's B3605 on the non MAP vs RPM OS's. It's B3647 in OS3 and OS5.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

mine is lean on start up but only when cold,not warm,afr is about 17.2 for about 3 minutes then runs good,also just started throwing misfire codes so i changed the plugs and wires with no improvement.i raced all summer and never a problem now its a problem?what gives
Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe it's B3605 on the non MAP vs RPM OS's. It's B3647 in OS3 and OS5.

That must be some efi live stuff. It doesn't look like anything I have seen in LS1 edit or HP tuners. Do you have an english version.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 30thta436
That must be some efi live stuff. It doesn't look like anything I have seen in LS1 edit or HP tuners. Do you have an english version.
I'm not much of a translator. Perhaps you could download the EFILive demo version to see what I'm talking about?

http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx
Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll look at tomorrow. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I put extra fuel in there on startup, I have tried just about everything. No matter what though, until the car is running for a little bit it will read lean, and it really shows up when frist driving. I have set the IAC motor below where it normally is for hot idle, and as long as the IAT is not heat soaked that helps the issue out, for idle. Still doesnt solve the problems going down the road.

The way the comptuer adjusts for hot starts or change in temp is through the IAC motor anyway, thats why I think there are other things going on in the computer and its calculations that we just dont see. This isnt as big of an issue on the newer OS as I know a few guys who cleared this issue up a few months back, but the older OS is still an issue.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Check your logs. When you see this lean idle are you in open or closed loop at the time?

True cold-start or start-up enrichment only lasts for a few seconds, so I'm sure that's not where your problem is.

Though it may be labeled differently in different year tunes, each code will have a table that adjusts your air-fuel ratio based on coolant temp. Some tunes call this the OLFA. This table is not all or even partially zero'd from the factory. This table adds fuel for lower coolant temps for a reason.

I believe the values in this table is your base fueling (not your base AFR). If this table isn't correct, then any corrections being applied will be very far off the mark when watching your WBO2.
Way past that step man, and if I didnt know that, I shouldnt be tuning lol

The OLFA shouldnt be zeroed anyway, and yes it adds fuel to colder ECTs for a reason.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

zeroing out is not what i had in mind. You would want to add more fuel to compensate for the start up airflows. Recall, that as ECT goes down, your RAF table adds more air to maintain idle. If you dialed in your VE table filtering out low ECT's none of then startup air or low ECT RAF air is accounted for.

If you didn't filter out low ECT's you likely collected enough normal operating temp data to average out the low ECT effect.

Double check the link above and scroll down a bit to the screen shots I posted.

If you tuned the car using lower ECTs when the car is not fully warm your tune will be screwy and not have consistent fueling (at least inwhat I have seen). Since my car is OLSD I always tune it in my operating range. I think its foolish to do otherwise because the airflow varies and can result in an inaccurate VE or MAF table. I use the startup parameters that we have and that helps with some of the correction, and the idle isnt bad, but the first mile I drive on the street is in certain low flow spots. I dont want to add 15% fuel to here to bandaid a problem and then be rich after that mile. I have my theory on this stuff, and I dont think it can be correctly solved unless we can alter some of the ways the computer calculates the airflow vs air temps as well as airflow vs startup conditions.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

If you tuned the car using lower ECTs when the car is not fully warm your tune will be screwy and not have consistent fueling (at least inwhat I have seen). Since my car is OLSD I always tune it in my operating range. I think its foolish to do otherwise because the airflow varies and can result in an inaccurate VE or MAF table.
Who you tellin?

I use the startup parameters that we have and that helps with some of the correction, and the idle isnt bad, but the first mile I drive on the street is in certain low flow spots. I dont want to add 15% fuel to here to bandaid a problem and then be rich after that mile. I have my theory on this stuff, and I dont think it can be correctly solved unless we can alter some of the ways the computer calculates the airflow vs air temps as well as airflow vs startup conditions.
We can do Airflow vs temps in EFILive, no problem.

I think in so many words you have said the same thing I have. It's the extra air present during off normal operating temps causing the problem. MAF guys don't see the problem as pronounced because the MAF table is a much higher resolution than the VE with IAT adjustments built in (nature of the beast).

By using tables available in OEM OS's, and otherwise zeroed from the factory, we can compensate for these lean conditions until we reach normal operating temp.

From what I gather though, it sounds as if you may be chasing 2 or more problems.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What fuel trim cell is this happening in?

Quick Reply: Everyone with SD tune issue: VERY lean on starts after certain time delay.