Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFIlive guru's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFIlive guru's...

if any of the tuning masters have some suggestions, i'm all ears. I'm looking to take this to 9-10psi eventually, but not before I iron out this early stuff. Also, a HUGE thanks to Parish for the use of his garage, air, helping with the logs, etc. I owe you... BIG TIME.

http://www.neufamily.org/hosted%20stuff/jesse/

The first run, I get knock as soon as I get on the gas and then it slowly tapers off. This leads me to believe I'm getting one incident of knock and then the ECU slowly adds timing back... The second run was after the car sat for 10 minutes running, so it was hotter. You'll see that as SOON as I got on it, I had a HUGE amount of KR. I could hear the knock and got out of it as fast as I could. This is on 93oct BP fuel as well...

jesselukeboyer@hotmail.com if you have thoughts you'd like to keep off the boards...

NOTE: this tune was the first run from Rick at STS. He said it'd be a VERY safe/conservative tune...

Old 06-02-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

To me it looks like the first bit on each log is real knock the rest is burst knock due to fast throttle changes.
The second one your tps and map are pretty full so thats perhaps real knock. You can see the spark is in the 30's then drops to mid 20's and while rpm increases it drops further to around 20 deg total.
There is probably room for improvement, but its when you see the KR like a saw tooth that you know you are getting continuous knock, 4 deg isnt so bad depending on KR settings. Of course none is better.
I think you could smooth the ramp in spark from where it goes from 30+ deg to 20deg perhaps make the ramp a little more aggressive downwards.
I would be good to see the knock settings and spark maps to get a good handle on it.
Ive also noticed in log 2 bank2 o2 seems to be running lean at the point of KR. If this is the case this wont help. You might want to get a wideband onto that bank and make sure its not going lean.
Anyway thats my take, which wont be as "guru" as others, but might help none the less.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The tune is definitely off a bit
Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In 1st chart: HO2S11/21 voltages at WOT are consistently about 825mV, this seems lean, you want to be something like 930mV or 950mV.

In 2nd chart: HO2S11 voltage at WOT shows lean and HO2S21 shows some O2S problem.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with joe....get your AFR closer with a wideband and I bet your knock will start to go away. You can change the Knock Retard Recovery Rate to something like .05 so spark comes back on a little faster. This will help you scope out the areas prone to KR a little easier. Also, you might want to try running (once the AFR is dialed in) with the burst knock table zero'd out. With my stock cam'd car, it was causing more KR than it was helping to prevent it.

Oh, and if that "Parish" you mentioned is the one I think it is and happens to own a blue pickup with a little turbo on it....go to his tuner and have him help you.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we are going to tune it as soon as he gets the wide band hooked up. i dont even want to touch it if we have to guess at the a/f ratio.

the thing is way lean on that last run. above 14.7/1 on the 2nd bank

i have never seen an sts set up. i looked nice but there is significant lag. i am not sure if tuning will help with this at all or not.

at ~5psi the maf is only reporting ~35lb's of air, doesn't that seem prety low? maybe the maf table was messed with?

it should be fun/easy tuning this thing. rolling around in the twin turbo vette is fun
Old 06-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely some issues to iron out, but it should be fun once we get it dialed in.

And yes, the same "parish" with the little blue truck with the little turbo
Old 06-05-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know, seems like a lot of timing to me.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jub jub
I don't know, seems like a lot of timing to me.
Didn't notice that until you said something. That is a rather large amount of timing - especially on a boosted application. Why are you running so much?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Part throttle off boost is ok with more timing. Its needed due to less VE so less efficient burn.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Still trying to figure all this out...

I cleaned the MAF with electronic cleaner this weekend, but still has the same KR when I tip in. There's a couple people looking into my MAF issue as well. I agree... there's too much timing for a boosted app.

Rick at STS is going to look at the tune as well.