PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the MAF have anything to do with P0106?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does the MAF have anything to do with P0106?

Hey guys I've had my 02 WS6 for a little over a year now and generally haven't had any problems. Recently however, I have been throwing the P0106 code.

A couple months ago it threw the P0106 (MAP circuit performance) code shortly after I recharged my filter. I put too much oil in it.
I cleaned the MAF sensor with some electrical cleaner and wiped out the lid, MAF hoses, and throttle body. After that the code went away until now.

I cleaned the MAF sensor again (Though I didn't see anything on it this time) and the code cleared on its own. Two days later the code returned, but it comes and goes. The car feels like it has lost some performance out of it, and doesn't idle as smoothly as it used to.

I get a lot of seeking now when returning to idle, tach dipping to 300 then jumping to ~1800, after a few seconds of this it will usually settle down around 900 rpm. It will do it again the next time I come to a stop though. I have also had it start stalling occasionally when it does this. When I first got the car it would hunt every now and then after warm starts, but not stalling and once it figured out the idle it continued to return to idle ok until I restart the car.

My question is since the code has cleared after cleaning the MAF sensor in the past could it be going out on me, or is it more likely the MAP sensor?

The current engine related mods are:
LID
Ported TB
Comp Cams 228/234 (.588/.598 lift) 112+2 LSA
Comp 918 springs
Titanium retainers
Custom tune

The mods were put on back in 2004 and I did not have any problems with the code being thrown for the first 6 months of owning the car (Purchased March of 05) so I would imagine when the car was tuned the cam was taken into account.

I think the car is running rich right now, but that is only based on smell and soot in the tail pipes being more than it used to have. I don't think I can get a proper determination with my basic scan tool and haven't had it dyno'd with a wide band yet.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I am explaining well enough. If you need more info let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Aster

*edit I forgot the cam's LSA

Last edited by Aster; 06-09-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have had some oil splatter all the way back on the MAP sensor itself. As far as I know, that code has nothing to do with the MAF sensor and everything to do with the MAP. Grab a buddy and replace the MAP sensor. Shouldn't take more than an hour to pull the intake manifold, replace the sensor and reinstall with the help of a friend. Just watch the 4 long bolts in the back of the manifold when you uninstall/reinstall so that they don't tear up your heads.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This code comes from a discrepancy between the
MAP the PCM "thinks" should correspond to a given
TPS*RPM, and what you're really running. Especially a
high overlap cam at low RPM will be way off the mark.
Your custom tune wants the P0106 engine diagnostic
high/low moved to accommodate what the motor is
really doing, is all. But this is somethign that needs
either some street logging, to populate that map, or
some prior experience with a fairly similar combo.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:05 AM
TECH Addict

just my .02 cent.check for vacuum leaks on your intake in the front and behind.or you may have low vacuum@idle causing the po106 code.happen to me on my 35th SS swapping from a stock cam to a tr224.raise idle via edit or hp tuners.good luck.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the information guys.
I'll see what I can find out.

Quick Reply: Does the MAF have anything to do with P0106?