PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Vote here if you would like an EFI Live tuning tutorial.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006 | 09:50 AM
Coal Mining Director

Default Vote here if you would like an EFI Live tuning tutorial.

http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread.php?t=2992
Old 07-19-2006 | 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why would anyone vote no?! There's 2 people already that did. I'd love to see some more tutorials!
Old 07-19-2006 | 10:09 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Why would anyone vote no?! There's 2 people already that did. I'd love to see some more tutorials!
That's a good question.

EFI is monitoring the poll to gauge interest which could lead to more tutorials.

Bring on the votes!
Old 07-19-2006 | 11:17 AM
8 Second Club

vote no because some EFI guys do things bass ackwards..and noody wants a tutorial thats wrong....

it really depends on who makes the tutorial...
Old 07-19-2006 | 11:35 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by soundengineer
vote no because some EFI guys do things bass ackwards..and noody wants a tutorial thats wrong....

it really depends on who makes the tutorial...

The who will be "monitored for accuracy" by EFI Live.

A NO vote generally will mean:

1. I make a living by tuning and don't want to dilute my market.

2. I've "earned my bones" by hard work/trial and error....you should earn yours.

3. I'm selfish.

4. I have a legitimate reason for not wanting additional information about tuning shared with the masses.

5. I'm HPT and we are greatly increasing our market share by increasing our tutorials and technology. Hopefully, our competition will stick their head in the sand.

Old 07-19-2006 | 11:45 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
The who will be "monitored for accuracy" by EFI Live.

A NO vote generally will mean:

1. I make a living by tuning and don't want to dilute my market.

2. I've "earned my bones" by hard work/trial and error....you should earn yours.

3. I'm selfish.

4. I have a legitimate reason for not wanting additional information about tuning shared with the masses.

5. I'm HPT and we are greatly increasing our market share by increasing our tutorials and technology. Hopefully, our competition will stick their head in the sand.

no..I honestly hate correcting people because they are doing it wrong....
like those who set the OLFA to 1.13 across the board to tune with PE turned off...when they need to set their OLFA and PE to the way they plan on driving it and tune it that way..
or people who think that the only way to get a car to idle is to move the IAC steps vs effective area table...instead of all the other parameters that contol idle......and then they tell me that you cant make a trex stable at idle at 700 rpm....(yeah..tell that one to my buddy I tuned with a trex in an A4 F-body )

and unfortunately it was some older and not around much anymore EFI guys that started most of the incorrect trends that I can think of.....

so I dont want to see atutorial that teaches people teh wrong way to tune
Old 07-19-2006 | 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

and FYI..I share Info all the time....
I haev no problems with people making tutorials..as long as they are correct
Old 07-19-2006 | 11:55 AM
Coal Mining Director

and FYI..I share Info all the time....
I haev no problems with people making tutorials..as long as they are correct
I've seen you share in the past

Hope you continue to do so.

I bought EFI Live in the spring. Love the software...tuned my car to 700rwhp with it so I'm a believer.

HPT is kicking EFI in the butt (IMHO) with their tutorials......just trying to create an awareness for EFI to "step up" a little.....they've added a map and blackbox tutorial that is very good.

I am surprised at the no votes in the poll....more factual info the better IMO.
Old 07-19-2006 | 12:01 PM
8 Second Club

there was that one EFI tutorial....but damn its too big of a file..took me like 15 minutes to download on my WiFi 802.1G connection
adn then I had to click everything and I just wanted it to go....
Old 07-19-2006 | 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

personally i think theres enough info here & on efilive's website to put together a kick *** tune in 99.9% of the cases...and there is no one method that should be used...you've got tuners out there that use ONLY maf to tune a/f, you have tuners that use maf & pe to tune a/f you have tuners that use maf, ve, pe to tune a/f, then you'd have to distinguish between cam size and whats considered small, med, large & downright nasty, then add info on what to do for larger cubes, swapping trannies, turbo, supercharger, 2/3 bar tuning, meth, etc...it would be a huge undertaking and you'd have to get people to agree on all of it which in itself would be next to impossible. If they wanna take a crack at it thats fine but who's gonna do the work? Ross or Paul? For one they've already stated they are not and never claimed to be tuners(although im sure they could hold their own ) but with just the two of them im sure they are both working 70-100 hours a week on their current stuff as well as ls2 & future stuff...they've got their hands full meaning you'd need to look towards current users...im sure there are some willing to do alot of the leg work, but even to that extent nobody has countless hours in every single combination...look at the pro tuners that you see on efilive & hptuners sites asking questions about big cams or 2/3 bar setups asking for suggestions. Again if they feel like putting in another 100 hours in to make up a tuning doc for you guys or anyone that will put an all in one thing together the more power to them...I just think its sooooooooooooooooo much work i pity the person that does it. Anywayz good luck

lata
Bill
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ start a wiki for each method. Build a site, tuners will opinionate it.
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:29 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02BlueFirehawk
^ start a wiki for each method. Build a site, tuners will opinionate it.

thats not a half bad idea...maybe I'll try to do that later
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

thats not a half bad idea...maybe I'll try to do that later
pm sent
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

no..I honestly hate correcting people because they are doing it wrong....
like those who set the OLFA to 1.13 across the board to tune with PE turned off...when they need to set their OLFA and PE to the way they plan on driving it and tune it that way..
or people who think that the only way to get a car to idle is to move the IAC steps vs effective area table...instead of all the other parameters that contol idle......and then they tell me that you cant make a trex stable at idle at 700 rpm....(yeah..tell that one to my buddy I tuned with a trex in an A4 F-body )

and unfortunately it was some older and not around much anymore EFI guys that started most of the incorrect trends that I can think of.....

so I dont want to see atutorial that teaches people teh wrong way to tune

I wonder who you are talking about? To my knowledge there are only 2-4 "old" EFIGuys here: Myself, Black02SS, TAQuickness and Bink. Care you mention the name of the person you are referring to above

I alway set my OLFA that way i planned on driving it. I never liked the idea of turning off PE vs RPM and tried and failed horribly at moving the iac effective area table. And if i remember correctly you got the idea to start doing tutorials from an EFI guy so we all cant be that stupid.

Also can you please elaborate on what is done backwords by the EFILive camp I am intrested in knowing?

Were'nt you one of the guys who was richening up your OLFA table to compensate for leaner colder temps and if so this is no better than being an IFR or PE tweaker since at the end of the day commanded wont equal actuall......

Edit for the record

I was one person who voted no. the internet is littered with all these turorials some have been updated and some havent. I think it would be a cluster **** to come up with something like this because you can talk till you are blue in the face and people will still argue. I am for the if you ask I will tell you but I am not writing all my blood and sweat down on a peice of paper all to visit my local barnes and nobles to see "How to tune and LS1" by Sound Engineer
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:47 PM
8 Second Club

actually setting the cylinder charge bias table correctly fixes that issue

your OLFA was designed by GM to be a cold start compensator...
I didnt necessarily richen OLFA...I changed values to get 14.7 all the time except when in PE and added appropriate amount to PE for colder/hotter engine conditions

I have never belived in a flat value for the OLFA...
mine curently is a lot lose to 1.0 now as it needs less compensation due to my cylinder charge bias table being a lot close to what it need to get the fueling calculations correct
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
I wonder who you are talking about? To my knowledge there are only 2-4 "old" EFIGuys here: Myself, Black02SS, TAQuickness and Bink. Care you mention the name of the person you are referring to above

I alway set my OLFA that way i planned on driving it. I never liked the idea of turning off PE vs RPM and tried and failed horribly at moving the iac effective area table. And if i remember correctly you got the idea to start doing tutorials from an EFI guy so we all cant be that stupid.

Also can you please elaborate on what is done backwords by the EFILive camp I am intrested in knowing?

Were'nt you one of the guys who was richening up your OLFA table to compensate for leaner colder temps and if so this is no better than being an IFR or PE tweaker since at the end of the day commanded wont equal actuall......

Edit for the record

I was one person who voted no. the internet is littered with all these turorials some have been updated and some havent. I think it would be a cluster **** to come up with something like this because you can talk till you are blue in the face and people will still argue. I am for the if you ask I will tell you but I am not writing all my blood and sweat down on a peice of paper all to visit my local barnes and nobles to see "How to tune and LS1" by Sound Engineer

I dont think he was talking about the people you mentioned...things change as people learn...The origonal auto tune writeup by TAquickness had it so you'd setup olfa to 1.13 and set pe to 1.0...as time went on you and I agreed 1.0 in the olfa table was best for the writup I was working on...now even I do it differently...as you actually do the stuff yourself you learn & change...newbies come in and sometimes take the tutorials as if it came from god himself whereas all they are is guides to help you get started. I mean its like the people that now use the V6 tutorial on their ls1 cars...hey I dont get it but whatever lol...I think its a matter of people going out and trying new things sometimes as none of the writups out there are perfect, nor will any of them ever be. There is no steadfast way to do anything and factors as little as altitude changes can change things from car to car. Anywayz

lata
Bill
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:54 PM
8 Second Club

and as far as tutorials go..I had all mine done long vefore teh EFI one came out...some EFI guys want to believe that I folloed you guys...but I never knew about your one big tutorial that I have seen until it was released....
mine were done and waiting for release for quite some time before the EFI ones were done...

I have timestamped files to show that if you really wantto see them....about 2 months before the EFI one was mentioned I was 3/4 the way done with mine....I put finishing touches on mine about a week before the EFI one was releasd...

its not my fault the HPT guys were a little slower in releasing the ones I made...

mine also load very quickly and are broken own into smaller things to make it easier to get to them
Old 07-19-2006 | 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
I dont think he was talking about the people you mentioned...things change as people learn...The origonal auto tune writeup by TAquickness had it so you'd setup olfa to 1.13 and set pe to 1.0...as time went on you and I agreed 1.0 in the olfa table was best for the writup I was working on...now even I do it differently...as you actually do the stuff yourself you learn & change...newbies come in and sometimes take the tutorials as if it came from god himself whereas all they are is guides to help you get started. I mean its like the people that now use the V6 tutorial on their ls1 cars...hey I dont get it but whatever lol...I think its a matter of people going out and trying new things sometimes as none of the writups out there are perfect, nor will any of them ever be. There is no steadfast way to do anything and factors as little as altitude changes can change things from car to car. Anywayz

lata
Bill
I agree with most of what Bill has said here. Tuning is as much an art as it is science.
Old 07-19-2006 | 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not going to even waste my breath on this. All it is designed for is to be locked. Why are there more HPT guys in here stiring the pot??? If I am not mistaken, the rules are if it has EFILive/HPT in the title, then the opposite crowd isn't allowed to post. If this isn't the case then let me know.

I voted no as well.
Old 07-19-2006 | 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

there was that one EFI tutorial....but damn its too big of a file..took me like 15 minutes to download on my WiFi 802.1G connection
adn then I had to click everything and I just wanted it to go....
I'll comment to this. The tutorial was INTERACTIVE. It offers the users a way to interact with the program without hurting anything and giving them a "feel" for how it is done. It is bigger due to the fact it has more options and allows the users to do more things. Where did you guys get your tutorials from in the help file??? I won't mention any names but when we did a tutorial(s), you guys decided to change a few lines and put your names on it. Thats really innovative.