PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Anything Happen If You Drive Your Car Untunned??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006 | 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Default Anything Happen If You Drive Your Car Untunned??

I Just Dropped My 383 Stroker And Heads And Cam...my Car Only Starts When I Put A Code Scanner...and When It Turns On The Car Shuts Off Unless I Hold The Gas Pedal....i Know It Needs Tunning But If I Drive A While Without Tunning Could Anything Happen To My Computer Or Engine???
Old 08-26-2006 | 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're dumping way much fuel, and killing your O2s very quickly. spark plugs also will be affected if the mixture will be to rich (and big cams with shitty VE's down low will try to run like 8:1AFR if untuned)
Old 08-27-2006 | 05:37 PM
On The Tree

why would i be dumping to much fuel if i have the stock injectors and fuel pump?
Old 08-27-2006 | 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

in the idle range, VE for a normal cam is ~60%. big cams go down to low 30s%. if the computer doesn't know about the changes in fueling needs, it will still dump enough fuel for 60% ve, not 30%. every untuned cammed car surges, that's exactly the result of overfueling, you basically choke the engine with fuel, so it kicks up the rpm (since it knows the VE increases with rpm in that low of a range) to 'rescue' it from stalling, then it tries to go back to original rpm, chokes again...
on a scanner you can literally see it run in loops.
Old 08-27-2006 | 06:03 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Bro,
You obvisouly spent well hard earned cashe on a kick *** setup. Show respect and trailer it to your nearest qualified tuner. You've come this far, not much longer to paradise. I have had folks drive their new setups to me and they "Made it there," but I can't help but get a crazy feeling in my stomache thinking about what they went through to get their cars to my shop.