PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to get rid of for SD tune.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

First, you certainly want to use a wideband while doing your SD tune. Keep you O2s in and do your initial SD tuning in closed loop. The computer will protect you from doing a Whooopppssss while your driving around town logging and tweaking your part throtle tune. That also helps you get a feel for the accuracy of the WB guage vs. the HPT WB input vs. the stock O2s.

Then as you nail it down all of the part throtle cruising in SD, you can determine if really have a need to go to open loop to have complete control. You'll have the comfort level that the baseline work has been done when you go to OL.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Old dog new tricks (02-25-2020)
Old 11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest reason I can think of for OL over CL SD is that the NBs are placed somewhere that they no longer function well/properly, and you end up fighting with them over trim control.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25thredrs
I'm not sure what the difference between the OLSD and CLSD tunes are....
BTW....I will not have cruise control so that is no factor to me...
i dont care who you are thats funny.

i hope that was a joke. If not i'll explain closed loop and open loop.
closed loop is when the computer takes readings from the narrowband o2 sensors and imputs them to the pcm and targets the 14.7 AFR this is done for cruizing or light throttle.
Open loop the coomputer does not consider the NB o2 sensors and just makes the calculations off the MAF, IAT and MAP sensors.
think of closed as being connected, as the o2 are connected

when we say cruising we mean when there is no real load of the car and your maintianing a steady speed.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i dont care who you are thats funny.

i hope that was a joke. If not i'll explain closed loop and open loop.
closed loop is when the computer takes readings from the narrowband o2 sensors and imputs them to the pcm and targets the 14.7 AFR this is done for cruizing or light throttle.
Open loop the coomputer does not consider the NB o2 sensors and just makes the calculations off the MAF, IAT and MAP sensors.
think of closed as being connected, as the o2 are connected

when we say cruising we mean when there is no real load of the car and your maintianing a steady speed.

I am not sure he was joking, but good explanation.

Is there any interest in making a stick about tuning FI cars? I have done lots of searching in the PCM section, and I have not found a whole lot of good tuning info for FI cars there.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

lol...I guess that was dumb...but hey what can I say...I'm new to the whole FI and Fuel injected Idea...I had a 92 Camaro with a 5.0L TBI that couldn't outrun my moms minivan. I am trying to make some big changes and learn along the way....Thanks for all the in depth explanations though....

When my tuner will tune my car...Will he use the wideband to tune it or actually plug into the OBD II and tune the computer??

Should I have my computer sent off and have the MAF sensor input deleated

I am not going to want to have my car tuned 3 times a year like some are saying with the SD tune.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Teching In

no reason to send your computer out to have the maf shut off, it can be done when your tuner does his tuning

and the guy that tunes 3 times a year does it himself because he likes to, not because he HAS to, so youll be fine getting it done once
Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

And to answer your first question, yes and yes. The wideband that he will clamp in your tailpipe will give him the readings that he needs to program your PCM through the OBD II connector.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

my different tunes takes about 1min. to do, the changes are not all out dyno day changes, just makin the wideband happy(in-car wideband)... on the 3 tunes I normally use the ve table is just messed w/for good fuel economy (only about 6cells), the other thing is changing the timing in high rpm boost area and/or changing the boost enrich rate ever so slightly.. I like to keep it on the safe side for road-racing/auto-x, other than that the street tune is more aggressive, because I'm not holding near full throttle for 20min. at a time like the track...

btw, I dont think the original poster understands fully how everything works... the wideband is your real afr, your not relying on inconsistant factory 02 censors, your tuning device will plug into the odb port, check out the hptuners website, it will take countless and I do mean countless hours of reading to understand fully... if you dont get it, it dosent matter if your not tuning your car anyway, so speak with your tuner before making any decisions...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to everyone that is saying you can remove the o2 sensors in SD please stop now. SD has nothing to do with O2 sensors it is only a mode that your vehicle will fall into when the maf fails or is removed. You can remove the o2 sensors if you plan on running in open loop...you can tune a car in open loop SD or closed loop SD but SD has nothing to do with o2 sensors and their functionality.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To lessen the confusion here's some info on the different modes http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...2294#post62294
Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Mine was tuned with HPTuners as well, maybe a one bar tune though. I havent used any O2's at all for a while now and the car runs very consistant at 14.5 cruising and 12.5 WOT. I think you need to have a good tuner and it's nice to have a dyno that will lock into any RPM to load the car through all the cells. I rarely drive on the street anymore, but when the M6 was still in I was getting great MPG.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are running FI OLSD or CLSD or w/ the MAF somehow, you should have a boost gauge, wideband gauge and a fuel pressure gauge in the car. A lean condition will cause an air conditioned motor in no time flat when you are shoving air in the cylinder.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

I already have the Fuel Pressure gauge, the boost gauge and i guess i'm going to go with teh Dynojet Commander Wideband.....Where do you mount the o2 sensor for the wideband?

Quick Reply: What to get rid of for SD tune.