Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock pcm hp levels

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TINKRD
so what happens if you up the boost? do you carry a laptop w/ different tunes and then when you up the boost you load the coresponding tune?

no, it is a true SD tune which reads up to 30 psi of boost and fueling is done accoding to how much boost you are running. THey developed a custom OS that changed the VE tables into a huge table, with full resolution, 0-3XX Kpa.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiago
no, it is a true SD tune which reads up to 30 psi of boost and fueling is done accoding to how much boost you are running. THey developed a custom OS that changed the VE tables into a huge table, with full resolution, 0-3XX Kpa.

Tiago does HP Tuners for 99+ cars use a WB that checks and corrects for fuel to be 100% sure you are at the A/F u want to be??

The reason i went with it is yes... im a 98 PCM and no one had a system out for the 98's to use a 3 Bar setup....

Kyle
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Tiago does HP Tuners for 99+ cars use a WB that checks and corrects for fuel to be 100% sure you are at the A/F u want to be??

No, but that's a damn nice feature that most of the standalone's like DFI/BS3 have.... and apparently your MAF T PRO
Old 12-03-2006, 08:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
No, but that's a damn nice feature that most of the standalone's like DFI/BS3 have.... and apparently your MAF T PRO

yup, no targeting, thats one of the most important features I would like it to have, but if the tune is right, its not really required. It just makes it easier.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I believe the 96 lb injector are about as big as you would want to go on the driver box and stock computer. My car ran like crap on the 160's and im not aware of anything inbetween.
what impedance converter do you have, Harlan ran 160lbers on his car years ago and idled ok

your using efi 3bar live also right
Old 12-03-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Jammer, you will not need a translator with a 99+ pcm. You jsut set the VE map and AFR map on the software to match your wide band. You have to do this manually through the entire maximum boost you want to run. After it is set you never have to mess with it again for any boost level below your maximum boost you have it setup for. With IAT VE compensation, the AFR will stay accurate even at different ambient temerature outside. So basically it will not go lean when it gets cold ot or rich when it gets real hot out. The stock pcm will control and do more then any other PCM except for the BS3.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been reading about the MAFTPro and I'm confused about one thing. The LT1 ECM doesn't understand any MAF frequency input higher than 11216 Hz. The highest flow rate it can correlate that to is 511 grams/sec, which equates to 450 - 500 rwhp. No matter how I modify the signal, the ECM won't understand anything over 511. How is it possible for a MAFTPro to do what it says it's doing?

Mike
Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

I thought is splits the signal in half, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Jammer, you will not need a translator with a 99+ pcm. You jsut set the VE map and AFR map on the software to match your wide band. You have to do this manually through the entire maximum boost you want to run. After it is set you never have to mess with it again for any boost level below your maximum boost you have it setup for. With IAT VE compensation, the AFR will stay accurate even at different ambient temerature outside. So basically it will not go lean when it gets cold ot or rich when it gets real hot out. The stock pcm will control and do more then any other PCM except for the BS3.
good information. my tuner uses HPTuners on my car now. I was under the impression that the MAFT-Pro makes is easier to put in a speed density tune, rather then using HPTuners to make a speed density tune.

Great info on the max boost though.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To summerize a lilttle and to clarify my thinking...
The Maf T Pro WILL give me the auto A/F adjustments with the use of the widenad..
EFI or HP will get me to a 3 bar level if desired, along with an aftermarket map, but still need MapT Pro for auto functionality of the A/F at boost levels below the maxed tuned boost level

So I just need to choose HP or EFI, and get the Maf-T Pro for the best all around driving.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

unless i read nitrorocket's post incorrectly. you can use HPtuners to load a SD tune. tune it for max boost (i.e track), then you can turn the boost down for street driving, etc. The a/f will be safe at any lower boost b/c the IAT sensor will adjust accordingly. you'll be safe running it up to the max boost that you originally tuned it for.

so, if you have a 99+ PCM, you can buy a 3bar map sensor and do a SD tune w/ HPTuners and not even need a MAFT Pro.

correct?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jammer
To summerize a lilttle and to clarify my thinking...
The Maf T Pro WILL give me the auto A/F adjustments with the use of the widenad..
EFI or HP will get me to a 3 bar level if desired, along with an aftermarket map, but still need MapT Pro for auto functionality of the A/F at boost levels below the maxed tuned boost level

So I just need to choose HP or EFI, and get the Maf-T Pro for the best all around driving.

Once your VE is properly tuned, you can command AFR at nearly any given time...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

You don't need the MAF T Pro for a 99 and up PCM. The operating system in the 98 PCM will not recognize custom operating systems. Without a custom OS, you can't tune SD especially past 14.7 psi. EFI Live custom OS and Road Runner computer will allow tuning up to 285 KPA and tuned in real time.

When using a custom operating system the base VE table is based upon MAP for load and not dyn/cyl air; as boost is increased fueling will increase.
Its pretty cut and dry fueling. If you turn up the boost there is more map range to tune into. Spark is also controlled with a table that retards timing base upon map readings.

Howard
Old 12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

unless i read nitrorocket's post incorrectly. you can use HPtuners to load a SD tune. tune it for max boost (i.e track), then you can turn the boost down for street driving, etc. The a/f will be safe at any lower boost b/c the IAT sensor will adjust accordingly. you'll be safe running it up to the max boost that you originally tuned it for.

so, if you have a 99+ PCM, you can buy a 3bar map sensor and do a SD tune w/ HPTuners and not even need a MAFT Pro.

correct?
Correct for the most part... Your afr will be o.k. for any boost level below max boost because by the time you have tuned at the max boost level, you have already worked up through every other boost level and load the motor will experience to get to that max boost level. IAT/VE adjustability is basically a safety feature to correct AFR by automatically scaling the VE map which changes actual AFR to keep the motor at the commanded AFR. It is the closest thing to date that makes the stock 99+ PCM act like it has a wide band for WOT. Mine works, I have been plating with 19 psi on only 93 octane using the excellent options that EFILIVE software offers. I am guessing I am now pushing about 850 rwhp on 19 psi of boost on pump, all on the stock 2000 pcm that I use. Also, any 99+ pcm can be reflashed to any year up to any year LS1 you want it to be.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Correct for the most part... Your afr will be o.k. for any boost level below max boost because by the time you have tuned at the max boost level, you have already worked up through every other boost level and load the motor will experience to get to that max boost level. IAT/VE adjustability is basically a safety feature to correct AFR by automatically scaling the VE map which changes actual AFR to keep the motor at the commanded AFR. It is the closest thing to date that makes the stock 99+ PCM act like it has a wide band for WOT. Mine works, I have been plating with 19 psi on only 93 octane using the excellent options that EFILIVE software offers. I am guessing I am now pushing about 850 rwhp on 19 psi of boost on pump, all on the stock 2000 pcm that I use. Also, any 99+ pcm can be reflashed to any year up to any year LS1 you want it to be.
awesome information. so since my tuner already uses HPTuners all i need to do is get a 3bar map sensor and let him tune it in SD mode.

why is SD harder to tune then a MAF?

i was told WOT tuning is a snap, but driveability can be tricky.

keep in mind i know zero about tuning.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome information. so since my tuner already uses HPTuners all i need to do is get a 3bar map sensor and let him tune it in SD mode.

why is SD harder to tune then a MAF?

i was told WOT tuning is a snap, but driveability can be tricky.

keep in mind i know zero about tuning.
more cells...maf is ~85 cells whereas ve is ~380 cells to cover. maf is 2 dimentional, ve is 3 dimentional. More cells=more time
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

SD tuning is easier then MAF. Reason is that there are less tables to mess with with the MAF out of the way, plus you make more power. Set desired AFR across the board and go log. Driveability is easy, just set your AFR to whatever you want across the board and use auto tune function. In about 1 day you can have a good tune.
I have spent months tuning on mine, but I also have 96 lb injectors, idle at 750 rpm, and run 19 psi on pump.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

so since i dont have a computer or engine harness what harness and pcm should i go with, 98 or 99+? Would it be about the same cost since i dont have nothing to just go with the BS3?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
I've been reading about the MAFTPro and I'm confused about one thing. The LT1 ECM doesn't understand any MAF frequency input higher than 11216 Hz. The highest flow rate it can correlate that to is 511 grams/sec, which equates to 450 - 500 rwhp. No matter how I modify the signal, the ECM won't understand anything over 511. How is it possible for a MAFTPro to do what it says it's doing?

Mike
Old thread, but curious....Anybody ever figure this out?