Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knock Sensor Code

Today i was driving and after a few minutes i noticed the SES light come on(first time in my 6 months of owning the car). I pulled into autozone to check the codes and the scanner comes back with a P0332 code, which is of course the knock sensor low input bank two blah blah blah. Anyways, i am wondering how i should go about fixing this, i did a search but nothing seemed to really help. We just had a 2 day freeze where the car was covered in a 1/4'' thick sheet of ice and this is just after i make the 190 mile trip back up to college. The idle is smooth and there are no abnormal noises coming from the engine. Should i hold off on driving the car? Could I have put bad gas in it? What should i do? BTW the car has 72k miles on it.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
High on diesel fumes

If you get water down in the knock sensor hole the sensor will corrode. It needs to be replaced. When the code is set, the PCM will default to the low octane spark table, so don't be surprised if it feels like a dog when you get on it. You can verify that the sensor is bad....with the car off, unplug the knock sensor harness at the back of the intake manifold. Take a multimeter set to read resistance and put one probe on one of the harness pins, and the other on a clean spot on the valley cover. You should get a reading of about 10K ohms. If it is significantly less than that, it's a bad sensor. Do the same thing to both pins on the harness. IIRC bank 2 is the rear sensor. New knock sensor should be about $60 at the dealer.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunder550
If you get water down in the knock sensor hole the sensor will corrode. It needs to be replaced. When the code is set, the PCM will default to the low octane spark table, so don't be surprised if it feels like a dog when you get on it. You can verify that the sensor is bad....with the car off, unplug the knock sensor harness at the back of the intake manifold. Take a multimeter set to read resistance and put one probe on one of the harness pins, and the other on a clean spot on the valley cover. You should get a reading of about 10K ohms. If it is significantly less than that, it's a bad sensor. Do the same thing to both pins on the harness. IIRC bank 2 is the rear sensor. New knock sensor should be about $60 at the dealer.
I figured some moisture may have gotten down there so ill go check the resistance on the KS harness, what exactly does it look like and is it easy to get to?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

This pic is from a Vette, but I'm assuming it's probably the same for an F-body. This is at the driver's side rear of the intake manifold.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the best way to get to the harness since it is shoved back up under the windshield wipers?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 PM
High on diesel fumes

I'm not sure, never done it before. Be creative
Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went south and my car didn't seem to run off of the LO table.... HOWEVER, when the car enters PE the PCM applied full KR (4deg is stock) all of the time until out of PE.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just threw this code as well, didn't feel the need to start a new thread.

Just wanted to ask... If you're throwing this code, does that mean that the sensor itself is bad? Or does it mean that there's engine knock occurring and you need to check THAT out rather than the sensor?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

its not bad to drive the car with tis code, but you'll need to replace the knock sensors, to avoid gettin knock retard at wide open throttle. mine was pullin 6 degress of KR, i switched the sensors, the light went off, and now i can feel a definite difference in WOT runs.

the intake isnt too tough to oull of, my first time took me about an hour to get it off. just be careful when you pull it off bc you can easily break the oil pressure sending unit lockated on the back driver sidde of the manifold. good luck!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Amoretti
I just threw this code as well, didn't feel the need to start a new thread.

Just wanted to ask... If you're throwing this code, does that mean that the sensor itself is bad? Or does it mean that there's engine knock occurring and you need to check THAT out rather than the sensor?
Bump.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

It's almost certainly bad; water probably got into it.

If you tune your car, and you have your timing straight with no KR under normal conditions just turn it off until you swap them out. There is a table under engine/spark retard that is Max KR vs. RPM (PE) that you zero out until you swap them.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do feel a little roughness at idle. Almost like a misfire. It's not all of the time, but every now and then I can feel the car shake a little bit at idle.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

what?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

mine went bad when water got inside them. when you replace them, put rtv sealant around the black covers and youll be set. youll see what im talkin about.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frost
what?
I'm trying to figure if this code has anything to do with my rough idle.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

No it shouldn't... The effect it will have is this: If you get knock at part throttle you will just have knock with no action taken. As soon as the car goes into PE though you will lose (I am almost sure 4 is stock) 4 degrees (which will show as KR when scanning) the whole time you are in PE. Yes, you will lose some power like this.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

If i had the opportunity to have this sensor tuned out, would you recommend it?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 PM
FormerVendor

I'd replace it. I have one that needs swapping myself now.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

I just recently replaced both of my knock sensors and I'm still throwing the same codes... I just paid 220 bucks to have it fixed and I'm on a college student budget which = $0. Any ideas what it could be? I've been driving the car, sometimes smokes on startup and seems to bog around 50. I have been racking my brain on this crap.