Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did everyone learn to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foff667
BTW myself & a bunch of others that I've learned from are listed on the Team ZR-1 "don't know how to tune" list so I must be doing something right
HA see we both can be in a thread and it not get locked.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SS
HA see we both can be in a thread and it not get locked.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ringram
Get a scan tool. It will teach you loads too.

Read heaps, text books are good too as the info is likely to be almost 100% accurate.

Internet info, is more of a debate/discussion. Some points are more valid than others. You just need to filter out the rubbish. Post counts are a good indication at times and forum moderators generally have things figured out. Except ffoff, JK
Bugger, my post count isn't high enough (on this forum anyway)
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

i havent learned yet
Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
.....so its best to do trial and error. MAKE 1 CHANGE AT A TIME.
lol my first time i did it all in one wack(SD tune) and closed my eyes when I cranked it....I thought it might end up too lean for some reason....lol no problems thank god

I never ever saw VCM Suite in person before then, I just read whats here mostly while waiting for it to come in the mail..

You can do it man, just get familiar with all the sensors and what they do and you are half-way there....actually thats like 99% of it, really...

Last edited by stone4779; 01-21-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by reject
Yeah I was searching around and then i was looking at all the people that tune, and started wondering...how did everyone learn what they know? did yall learn it on your own? did you have a sinsay (lol) to help you? i've just BARELY started to pick up a tuner and learn how to do this myself, and was needing help. i know this takes a long time to learn. but still....i've always wanted to know how everyone got to where they are at.
BTW if you are near houston I could give you a couple pointers....
Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i've been reading and sleeping with the info (litterly falling asleep on the keyboard reading all of the topics there are for tuning here and at hpt's website!) trying to stay dedicated to learning it but being 19 lol kinda hard. Stone4779, thanks for the offer, but i'm over here in dallas and FOFF667, thanks for the baseline to get me started. i'll be PMing you so that i can do some Q&A to see if what i'm thinking is close to what you did. just to see if i'm on the same chapter as you are. again thanks

so alot of ppl were self tough, makes me feel more confident now!
Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I was searching around and then i was looking at all the people that tune, and started wondering...how did everyone learn what they know? did yall learn it on your own? did you have a sinsay (lol) to help you? i've just BARELY started to pick up a tuner and learn how to do this myself, and was needing help. i know this takes a long time to learn. but still....i've always wanted to know how everyone got to where they are at.
You have excellent responses to your question.

As long as you continue to ask questions and search for answers you'll do fine.

When making adjustments always lean towards the conservative side.
In the beginning I always wanted to jump in and make big changes - for big results! Pretty stupid of me........but I learned (Thank you, Joe Pilla ).

There are many ways and opinions to achieve the same end result.

I did much better organizing my thoughts when I used a notebook and actually kept notes on my changes and results.

I was able to tune my car with the help of the guys on this forum and GMPX -back when they said "You'll never be able to tune that cam". It's the only car I've ever tuned.

God Bless NoGo.

This is buried in the stickies ... it's great info ->> http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

Cheers,
joel

Last edited by Bink; 01-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion is to not try to understand it all in one shot. It makes it much less intimidating. Start with the simple stuff and learn to navigate the tuning suite dejour. There is plenty of time to get into the more complex adder and multiplier vs speed, MAP, IAT, ECT, RPM, etc. Oh, learn the acronyms or it all looks like a foreign language.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 469 Likes on 330 Posts

There has been a lot of good advice posted on here, but I will disagree with one thing. Ignore post count, because there are quite a few post ****** who have some ludicrous post count, but very little good info. If you see advice from someone who seems credible, but the advice sounds fishy, research it further. As was said multiple times above, take any internet advice with a grain of salt. Noone here is going to pay for your blown motor, so tune in small steps. The scanner and your engine sensors will be your best friends now. If you ignore them, it will cost you. If you listen to them, you get nearly free extra power and driveability.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Ignore post count

Noone here is going to pay for your blown motor
Amen brother! Arguing on internet forums doesn't make one a better calibrator.

The best guys are the ones who never stop learning. There's always something new to learn about and ever increasing layers of complexity. My advice is read every book and take every class you can get ahold of. Lots of the concepts about tuning apply to every engine with a spark plug, so don't be so closed minded as to only look for LS1 tuning info either.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

I started to research and learn about fuel injection in HS. Mainly focusing on Ford EFI and how it was designed/worked. Then I started learning about the 2G63 motor. Then later F-bodies in the mid 90s. I'm not a pro tuner but I think I'm a better tuner then some of the "pro" tunes I've seen.

Outside of research, I think I learned the most with LT1 Edit back in 2001-2003 era. Getting my LT1 car setup just right.

As with all things everything is getting more complicated. My LS1 car era came with more disposable income then my LT1 car. So I've been able to buy nicer software (HPtuners) and nicer tuning tools (AEM Wideband) and so I've been able to take a leap forward on my tuning in terms of time spent. The histogram feature of HPtuners cut about 2 weeks out of the time it would have taken to tune with the wideband by eyeballing. The wideband cut about 1 month out of my street tuning time.

Just make sure you understand the fundamentals. I'd start by learning the EFI system from then 89-93 Ford Mustangs. Just on paper. If you understand the basics there, then it will make translating that information to the LS1 EFI type system a lot easier. As it is a more complex system.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc
How? Read, spend, experiment, interpret, get confused, see the light, repeat.
I second that!
It only seems like a few people on these sites really know what there doing, while others are still trying to figure out! (me)
Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Started in late 80s as a hobby converting carbed Detomaso Panteras to DPI EFI before EFI was cool. Started own chassis dyno tuning business in '91' and just retired 15 yrs later. I went thru three stages as I look back at it, first 5 yrs I knew it all, first to respond to anyone's EFI questions, learned alot on customer's cars. Second five years, slower to answer questions, learned every car is different and finally realizeing how much I dont know, but getting to be a good tuner. Last five years, learned to let the first five yr guys do most of the question answering, still learned alot every day and got to be a real good tuner, had solid 2-3 wk tuning backlog. Now retired since 12/31/06. Will be part time consultant for the new dyno owner.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yobabiesdaddy2001
I second that!
It only seems like a few people on these sites really know what there doing, while others are still trying to figure out! (me)
I disagree. There are MANY competent "Tuners" on this board. There really aren't many secrets anymore - if any.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bink
I disagree. There are MANY competent "Tuners" on this board. There really aren't many secrets anymore - if any.
Then why the HELL don't any of them live in Indy????
LOL.
Looking for a tuner.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Then why the HELL don't any of them live in Indy????
LOL.
Looking for a tuner.

Because the experts are always out of state.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

one definition of an "expert"...

Any salesman more than 50 miles away from his manufacturing plant!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
one definition of an "expert"...
Any salesman more than 50 miles away from his manufacturing plant!
LOL
Another is anyone who knows more than you do.
But mostly go by the Golden Rule:
Make each mistake only once. Learn from it and never make it again. Then move on to the next mistake.

I wish more people would read these documents:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html
Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I wish more people would read these documents:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287094

so do I LOL

this post will be added to that sticky tomorrow.... there are only so many times you can say "read read read" heh and this thread meets those requirements

Quick Reply: How did everyone learn to tune?