Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed AEM wideband, have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed AEM wideband, have some ?'s

Ok, I got the wideband installed this weekend and have a few questions regarding the readings I am monitoring...

First let me tell you a lil bit about the car..

I just installed an MS3 and PRC 5.3 heads...I also threw on a 90/90 set up...

I sent my PCM to a member on this site who is a part time tuner, just so I could use my larger 42 green tops and also so I could actually drive the car around and break in my other components before dyno day...other than that he didnt really change anything radically, other than the idle-he raised it to 1000...

Anyway, started the car and the wideband just showed 3 lines...it wasnt reading...however when i would blip the gas it eventually would start pulsing and numbers would illuminate...but they were all over the place

i let the car warm up and drove it down the street....then i got on it..

i made 2 or 3 WOT runs but only to 5000 RPM, as I did not want to turn the **** out of it on a mailorder tune...

Anyway, at WOT, the gauge read anywhere from 11.5 to 13.9....I also notice when i floor it a large cloud of hazy smoke exits the exhaust...the car also smells very rich....

Should I be concerned? One of my buddies proclaims its "WAY TO LEAN" and another says its "pretty darn good" for a mail order...truth is I don't know, so I'm askin...
Thanks
Erik
Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, sounds like your rich.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

your car is definatly rich. Your smelling un burned gas and the the black smoke is exactly that. Me and you have pretty much the same setup, and that 11.5 afr is pretty close to stock.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

well how can yall explain the wideband reading NOTHING at idle...??? it looks like this at idle: - - -
Old 02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Banned

you have a aem correct?
does it read "------"
It reads beacause your probaly richer than 10:0 or the voltage signal to the meter is less than 0.000
How do you have it hooke up via hp tuner EIO or through on of the sensors from the cars harness?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you do not go WOT with that tune, even if it is just to 5000 rpms. Get it tuned, sounds like the fuel maps are all over the place. If you buddy knows what he is doing and has the ability to log AFR with his setup, spend a good amount of time one day and get it fully sorted out before you go to the dyno. Unless of course you are going to get it tuned at the dyno facility.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

Do you have hp tuners?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

i do not have HP tuners....and I am not going WOT any more until I get her dyno tuned...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yobabiesdaddy2001
you have a aem correct?
does it read "------"
It reads beacause your probaly richer than 10:0 or the voltage signal to the meter is less than 0.000
How do you have it hooke up via hp tuner EIO or through on of the sensors from the cars harness?
Um well, I welded a bung and inserted the provided 02 sensor...
then just wires it into the cars electrical system....i plugged in all the wires included in the kit...

as war as the aux wires (a blue and white one) those arent hooked up, just capped...

Not sure what you're referring too sorry dude!
Erik
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I recommend you do not go WOT with that tune, even if it is just to 5000 rpms. Get it tuned, sounds like the fuel maps are all over the place. If you buddy knows what he is doing and has the ability to log AFR with his setup, spend a good amount of time one day and get it fully sorted out before you go to the dyno. Unless of course you are going to get it tuned at the dyno facility.

I agree, car WILL be officially dynoed at the dyno facility

Thanks guys
Erik
Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

When you go WOT, the car should "peg" the AFR to a specific number...13.1 sounds about right. 11's is too rich for an NA car unless you have some serious spark advance. The 3 bars in the display means it can't read the AFR, a.k.a., WAY too lean! Seriously fueling issues here, I recommend taking it easy for awhile...let a pro fix it.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
When you go WOT, the car should "peg" the AFR to a specific number...13.1 sounds about right. 11's is too rich for an NA car unless you have some serious spark advance. The 3 bars in the display means it can't read the AFR, a.k.a., WAY too lean! Seriously fueling issues here, I recommend taking it easy for awhile...let a pro fix it.
He says it's blowing smoke, so it's probably rich as hell...unless there's some kind of oil leak...head gasket, etc...

Was it white smoke, black smoke, blue smoke, or "semi-transparent" smoke?

Each has it's own diagnosis...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

It will peg the aem if it is to far on either side of the afr range. Less than 10:0 or greater than 18.0.
Since his is blowing black smoke (probaly right when he gets on it) it is rich.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
Um well, I welded a bung and inserted the provided 02 sensor...
then just wires it into the cars electrical system....i plugged in all the wires included in the kit...

as war as the aux wires (a blue and white one) those arent hooked up, just capped...

Not sure what you're referring too sorry dude!
Erik
You explained here what I was asking. If you had hp tuners or a scanner that could monitor voltage from a sensor , you could have used the out put from the AEM (white wire) to log the voltage sig from the guage and then transferred it into afr so you could read it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

erik u told them the story wrong, listen guys i was int he car watching the wideband the whole time. at WOT it never went anywhere but 12.1-13.5, which isnt that bad and will keep his car in one peice for now, also at idle it was reading --- because he was above 18.1 A/F. my question is, is it that lean at idle because of his big cam? or is it still supposed to be 14.1 even with a big cam.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

well i wasnt that off Josh

as far as the color of the smoke goes, it is NOT oil leak color (blueish)
I know that becaue I always see shitass ricers floor it around here and thats all i see and smell, its a greyish...not BLACK but not WHITE either...seems to just be exhaust, caused by a rich condition..

The guy who put together my mail order tune set it up to run more rich than lean, I dont believe he would have made it so that it was WAY LEAN...hes not a beginner by any means and has done this on other similar set ups for guys who needed something mild to get them to the dyno for the "real" tune
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

hey josh, shoot me a call, gotta ask you something
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
erik u told them the story wrong, listen guys i was int he car watching the wideband the whole time. at WOT it never went anywhere but 12.1-13.5, which isnt that bad and will keep his car in one peice for now, also at idle it was reading --- because he was above 18.1 A/F. my question is, is it that lean at idle because of his big cam? or is it still supposed to be 14.1 even with a big cam.
It should be boucing around what ever stoich is set for that car usally 14.6.
It could be rich or it could be lean at idel. good indications of this would be either light water drips coming out the exhaust at idel or black smoke.
water drips leaner more stoich mixture, black smoke and gassey smell equals rich.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Banned

I would imagine they would set it to be richer to play it on the safe side. Mine was set to 11:5 across the board when I got it back. THe good thing is that if it is that rich , after a dyno tune and tweaking the afr you will be able to pull a little more power out of it
Old 02-14-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

i think its rich as ****....smells like it, slight black smoke coming out of the pipes...tuner said he set it rich...those are pretty good indications to me...

Erik

Quick Reply: Installed AEM wideband, have some ?'s