Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 tuned; now pinging

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 tuned; now pinging

So about 2 years ago I did a cam swap into my 99 formula. Went with the tr 224 114 lsa cause I have to stay smog legal in CA. Anyway, I had the car tuned at a shop here in san diego. It ran great for a 1 1/2 years but then it started pinging last june or so. The last tank of gas I put some octane booster in and it ran great, no ping. This tank I ran straight 91 octane and the ses light came on. Keep in mind this is pretty much a garage queen and 2 years of driving equates to about 4000 miles....if that.

So what do I do. I'm sure if I call the shop there gonna charge me 400 bones to tune it again, not that I would want thier crappy tune again, but given the time they probably won't warranty it or anything. If I buy a tuner, won't it delete everything they did, or think thier tune is the "stock" tune? I can email specs if it helps.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What code is set behind the SES? A tune is a constant; something else on the car must have changed if it was previously working and no more mods have been done.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I put an intake on about a month after the tune. Maybe it is a vacuum leak or something. Also about the time it started pinging the exhaust starting smelling really bad, like a dump truck or something. How can I check what the code is without a tuner, I tried the faq's but it only says how to clear em.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to AdvanceAuto/AutoZone, or whatever you guys have out there on the Left Coast. Everything else is pure speculation up to that point.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

With tuning software, you read out your current tune first as a starting point, so you won't lose anything. You can save a copy, then make any changes you want. Or you can get a stock tune from here (see stickies) and start from that.

Here's one speculation for you: maybe an o2 sensor going bad? That could cause pinging in closed loop.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

when I installed the cam I had an ses light on the first start up afterwards and the shop said it was one of the o2 sensors so maybe your onto something. I have to get someone to scan it so I can see. I atleast want to find out what it is for before I reset it. Can an o2 sensor go bad after 38k miles?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

if it was bad after the cam swap they should have changed it before they tuned it. bad deal on there part.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know this sounds really stupid but my pcv valve which is like a 6 dollar part went bad..

I have the same cam..and the car was running like ****. I put in a new pcv valve and its running like a champ...

Since its so easy to replace...so cheap..

Try that first...

A vacuum leak with cause similar problems and it could just be a dead pcv valve..

Good luck

Mine turned into a new car after the 1 minute swap.

HTH
Old 03-15-2007, 03:40 AM
On The Tree

thanks, I'll give it a shot, I ordered some intake gaskets so I'm gonna swap those too. Some other guy said if it was an intake leak, the car would run lean not rich and it seems to run rich. Also it is a code 300, random cylindar misfire.