Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring question???

I recently removed the motor and tranny to rebuild and freshen up. The only thing that was touched was the main wiring harness(obviously) to get the motor out. Well, I put the motor and tranny back in today. When I hooked the battery back up, the dash lights immediately came on even with the key out of the ignition. I then noticed a burning electrical smell and noticed some smoke coming from behind where the radio used to be. Now I know there is a wire shorting out somewhere but haven't found it yet. I was hoping that the dash lights coming on as soon as the battery was hooked up might throw up a flag to start looking at a certain harness. Any ideas? I looked in the fuse block under the hood and just about every fuse that has to do with engine management was blown. After this I completely unhooked the main harness from the engine so I could look it over this week and see if there are any wires that looked burnt. I am also going to have to look under the dash for the same thing. I just wanted to post up and see if anyone might have an idea where to start. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, can I not just get some kind of distribution block that I can run all mods that require a 12 volt switched power source to and just have everything in one location without having to splice into wires every time?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the illumination wires that used to power the radio.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to work last night but I am going to dig into the wiring tonight. It looked like it was coming from two different places. The thing is that everything was working fine before the motor and tranny came out.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is driving me crazy. I don't see anything wrong. When I connect the battery the tail lights immediately come on. And tonight I noticed smoke coming from the headlight almost like the motor was burning up....I don't have a clue where the short is and I can't see anything that seems to be shorted out. I am beginning to think that I am going to have to take the dash out and stretch the wiring harness out or something.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question.....

Are the system(s) grounded?

Andy
Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes they are grounded. I think I may have found the problem last night. I found some wires in the main harness that had been cut and had the bare wire sticking out. Looked like they had been grounded out on something. I am going to tape them up and put the power back to it tonight and see if that was the problem. Hopefully it is because I was starting to run out of places to look.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I found the wires that were shorted out so that problem has been fixed. Now I have a new problem. When I try to turn the motor over, the starter engaged the first time for a second and then stopped. After that, when I try to turn the motor over the seatbelt light flashes and I get hear three fast dings.... Anyone know what this is telling me? I have replaced all of the fuses that the shorted out wires had blown. Do you think the start has had it? I didn't have anyone to help me so I couldn't check to see if the starter was still getting power.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should stay at the wires you've already found. Dig back into it, make sure they are all fixed and hooked up to the correct wires. Look in the area for more. Also, after you've fixed the wiring, did you reset the computer and clear codes?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The wiring is fixed, I am certain. It has not shorted out since I fixed them and everything is acting like it should. I am thinking that maybe the started has gone bad. I talked with another guy and he said that when his starter went out it acted the same way including the dinging. I am going to try and find a starter from a buddy or something to test it out. Keep the ideas coming though, I am ready to hear my car run again.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing I have done with the computer is read it with HPTuners to make sure that it didn't get shorted out earlier.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I bought me a new starter and still have the same problem. I am about to run out of ideas. I don't see anything else that looks like it is shorted out. I don't know, but I am about to go crazy!!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Any way that there is something wrong mechanically? Hydrolocked cylinder? Something accidentally got in one of the cylinders? In other words, can you pull the plugs and turn the motor over by hand?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, we were turning it over by hand when installing the converter so I don't think that is an issue. It sounds like a VATS problem but that has been disabled in the programming. I am going to take my meter home today and check the voltage at the starter and go from there I guess. It is amazing what problems a shorted out wire can do.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The starter is just never engaging. It isn't clicking or anything.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

i know this is different but on my 80 malibu there was an inline fusible link'd wire you know the ones that dont actually have a fuse but act as a fuse. well anyways that popped one night and we had to go through the whole wiring tofind that wire that went to the starter to cut it out and splice in a new section. might be a good starting point to check.

- Scottie
Old 03-18-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I never posted up with the results. I found out the that BCM was not sending a ground to the starter relay like it was supposed to. I tested this by removing the starter relay and jumping the pins together with a paper clip..as soon as I did this the starter spun. So I replaced the starter relay and found the ground wire coming from the BCM. I then tapped that wire into a frame ground. Now I can start the car with no problems. But I do have another issue. Now my gauge cluster doesn't work. it is getting power because I see the seat belt light flash sometimes and the security light flashes all of the time...but the gauages just don't give a reading. Any ideas on this issue?