PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No code after removing EGR - so far.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No code after removing EGR - so far.

I installed my LS6 intake manifold and removed my EGR. I left the Module plugged in with the flow pipes removed. I ran the car at idle for 15 minutes and reved it up a few times - no SES. From what I can tell there is no flow monitoring other than if the pintle is moving properly via signals from a few other sensors. Has anyone else tried to leave the EGR plugged in to avoid the SES.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some codes set on 2nd or 3rd fail of a test, and the test
may run infrequently. Just have to wait and see whether
you get away with it, for good.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what do you mean when you say you removed it? Do you mean literally? If so you're going to get a DTC unless you delete it. Look up the DTCs related to the EGR. There are a bunch of them. Insufficient activity, excess activity, no activity, etc. I bypassed mine years ago and never got a EGR related DTC. I simply put a block off plate on the header bung where the egr was supposed to go. I cut a long strip of K&N foam filter material and stuffed it up into the tubing that leads to the EGR valve. The EGR is still there and connected. When the PCM tells the EGR pintle to open it opens, but instead of recirculating SOOT throughout my entire intake tract it breathes in filtered air instead. The PCM can't tell the difference and so it doesn't set the DTC. I don't know if this is the way you did it, but mine has been working fine this way for 7 years and over 70k miles without ever setting an EGR DTC.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 03-18-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

eallanboggs is there any way you could post pics of how you did this?

- Scottie
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that complicated. I can post a pic for you, but it isn't going to show you much. If you look at it you would think the EGR is still connected because the way I did it the tubing that is supposed to attach to the bung on the header or exhaust manifold is still attached. I just put a 1/4" spacer between them so there is a little gap there for the air to get in. You have to look very, very closely or you'll never even know I modified it. Most people can't tell even when I show them unless I put my finger directly on the point where the gap is. That's how well concealed my mod is.