Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit tables explained, please put in the forum sticky

Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Edit tables explained, please put in the forum sticky

LS1 Edit tables

Idle and Limiter Tables

•Idle Speed- Self explanatory, just set the values to what you want your idle to be with both the AC on and off. You want your idle a little bit higher with the AC on.

•IAC Park Position- This table specifies how much air should be flowing through the engine when the car is idling. The values are in Gms/Sec, an increase in these numbers will open the IAC motor up more at idle, which can cause a higher or lower than desired idle if it is changed too far either way.

•Idle Airflow- This table specifies the IAC counts when the car is in gear. More counts will lead to more air going through the engine. This table is also known as the Running Airflow table.

•Cranking Air- This is the amount of airflow in Gms/Sec that flows through during engine cranking. Changing it will affect the startup cranking of your car.

•Crank Delay- I am not completely sure what this table does exactly.

•Idle Timing tables- These control timing when your idle falls away from the specified idle in the Idle Speed tables. They aren’t really that important in most situations so just leave them be.

•Ac on Airflow Add- is used to tell the PCM to open the IAC more when the Ac is on. I think it is used in auto trans cars but it was zeroed out on my manual trans.

•Reset IAC Park Position- This tells the IAC how much to open up after the car is shut off. Stock mine was set to max open, 310.

•Throttle Follower tables- These tables specify how quickly the airflow through the engine should decay after you close the throttle. In a cammed car you want the decay to be less so that after you release the throttle the RPM’s don’t just drop down instantly which can cause idle fluttering. You can set it so that after you let off the gas and push the clutch in the idle stays at a certain RPM and slowly comes down and then when you stop it slowly drops down to your idle speed. These settings are important in a cammed car.

•Throttle Cracker- These tables are also very important in a cammed car. They control additional airflow while driving and it set too high can cause a cruise control effect when you are driving.

•Rev Limiters- These are self explanatory, just set them to whatever you want your rev limit to be and set the resume values to a few rpm’s under the limit.

Fueling Tables

•MAF- This is the table that takes the MAF frequency and tells the PCM how much fuel to inject, it is basically an airflow to fuel calculator. Increase the values in the table and the PCM will inject more fuel.

•Injector Flow Rate- This is the table that tells the PCM what size injectors you are running. If this table is inaccurate, your fueling will be off some. There are calculators available to tell you what values to put in this table depending on what size injectors you have.

•Fuel pressure Vs Voltage- This table tells the PAM how much to adjust fuel pressure based on system voltage. I haven’t messed with this table so I don’t have any experience playing with it.

•Injector Offset- I am not 100% sure as to what this table actually does so I am not going to comment on it.

•Main and Secondary VE tables- These tables provide for calculating fuel requirements sort of the way the MAF table does although it is different. These tables use the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor to measure engine load and the RPM’s and takes the two and figures out how much fuel is needed at those times. These are the tables that are used if you switch to a Speed Density tune (MAFless) and they are also used with the MAF. These tables are also used below 4000RPM’s if you are using the MAF sensor. At 4000 RPM’s the MAF will take complete control of fueling. Pre 2001 PCM’s use both a main and secondary VE table and the secondary table is only used if the MAF sensor fails so if you go MAFless and don’t have a custom PCM your SES light will turn on and your PCM will fuel based on the secondary table. 2001 and up PCM’s have only a main table to deal with. These tables are easy to tune on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor.

•Cranking VE- This is just another VE table that is used during engine cranking.

•Fuel Air Multiplier- This table is used only in open loop operation such as when the car is cool or there is a failure in the O2 sensors. All it does is adds some extra fuel so that in case of failures you will not cause engine damage from leaning out. This table is the soul of fueling if you are running an Open Loop Speed Density tune because you can control Air Fuel ratio at different driving conditions by tweaking this table such as leaning out at idle and at a highway cruise.

•Closed Loop Enable Temp- This table tells the PCM at what coolant temps it will put the car in closed loop while taking outside air temp into consideration.
•Minimum Injector Pulse width- this table should reflect the minimum pulse width of your fuel injectors, which can be found by asking the manufacturer of the injectors you have.

•Long term Fuel trim Controls- All these do is control the fuel trimming, which is the real time fueling correction that the PCM can perform via the O2 sensors. The enable boundaries can be tweaked so that you can make the LTFT’s stay off at all times if you wish, which is pretty much open loop.

•Stoich ratio and Cylinder Size- Stoich burn for gasoline is 14.7 AFR, do not mess with that. Do not mess with the cylinder size unless you have an aftermarket engine of different displacement.

•Decel Fuel Cut Off- DFCO is just what is says, it cuts off fuel flow when you decelerate. The values in the tables can control when DCFO takes effect and when it shouldn’t. Pretty easy to manipulate.

•Power Enrichment Tables- These tables are ones that control WOT fueling. The main one of concern is the PE by RPM, which is a multiplier table. Remember that stoich is 14.7, so if you want to command 13.0 AFR at WOT you need to come up with a multiplier. You do this by dividing stoich 14.7 by the AFR that you desire. For example if you desire 13.0 AFR across the entire RPM range you would just divide 14.7 by 13.0= 1.130. So you would put 1.130 in all of the cells in the table. There is also a coolant temp adder table which can be used to add more fuel based on the coolant temps.
•WOT Hot and Cold Tables- Both of these tables simply tell the PCM when to enter PE mode based upon the throttle position as a percentage of how far the throttle is open.

Ignition Tables

•High and low Spark Advance Tables- Both of these tables specify your spark advance during driving with the throttle open any amount. They are important when you tune a car, especially if you have any power adder or even a head/cam car. When the MAF is unplugged or fails the car will resort to the low octane spark table, which has less spark advance than the high octane table. If you decide to run MAfless and just pull the MAF out your PCM will be providing spark based on the low octane table.

•Base Spark in Park- Another spark table that controls spark advance when the throttle is closed and the car is in park/out of gear.

•Base Spark in Drive- Another spark table that controls spark advance when the throttle is closed and the car is in gear such as when you let off the gas in gear.

•IAT vs. Load Timing- This table is used to add or pull a few degrees of timing depending on the IAT temps. This is very useful if you run nitrous oxide because you can wire in a potentiometer with the IAT sensor so that when you hit a switch the IAT reports a bogus temp and you tweak the table to pull timing when the IAT reports that bogus temp.

•IAT vs. Coolant Temp Modifier- I haven’t figured this table out yet because it didn’t make much sense to be other than it modifies timing based on coolant temps.

•Maximum Brake Torque- This table just defines the maximum allowable timing. Don’t know where they came up with the pretty name for it.

•Coolant temp Spark Advance- Adds or pulls a few degrees based on coolant temps.

•Fuel ratio vs. RPM Modifier- Adds or pulls timing based on the air fuel ratio.

•Spark Retard Limit Table- Pretty self explanatory.

•Burst Knock tables- These tables deal with retarding spark a little bit during quick throttle changes such as when you push the pedal down a bit, it is there to prevent knock retard from occurring by pulling a little bit of timing before knock retard happens. The Delta air to enable table just specifies certain cylinder airflow to enable burst knock. The tip in max retard table tells gives the maximum amount of burst knock allowed when you push the throttle in. The degrees table specifies how much burst knock is to be applied.

•Knock Retard Tables- These tables control knock retard, which is picked by the knock sensors. They prevent the engine from actually experiencing knock by sensing it and pulling timing to stop it. The attack vs. RPM table states how quickly the sensors will react to and pick up knock retard, the lower the values the less sensitive the sensors are, the exact opposite goes for the decay vs. RPM table. Attack Gain vs. temp and Attack Gain vs. Altitude are just modifier tables that add some knock retard based on temp and altitude. The Max retard tables are pretty self explanatory.

•Knock Level tables- I am not 100% sure about these but I believe they are both used to specify the noise level to detect knock. I would imagine that by altering them you can make the sensors less sensitive, good for when you are experiencing false knock retard from exhaust or a noisy engine.

Those are all of the fuel and ignition tables used in LS1 Edit; I did not go through the speedometer and gear calibrations or the transmission settings because those are pretty easy for anyone to figure out. Feel free to add additional information or improve what I did. I am by no means a tuning genius so don’t’ give me hard time about any mistakes please.

Last edited by brad8266; 04-05-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Great explanations of the key parameters used for tuning. Well written.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Outstanding, thanks!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments. Someone here offered to pay for a write up on the tables in LS1 Edit and I just couldnt take anyones money for helping them out since I have gotten so much free help here so I figured i would just do it and post it here and hope for it to be placed in the tuning sticky. I sure wished I had an explanation of all the tables in LS1 Edit when i bought it and learned to tune with it.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent job! Thanks for putting in the time to do the write up. Gold Star for you

Keith
Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

WOW!! As a first timer on tuning this helps greatly!! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

excellent writeup, will have it up in the stickies shortly
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also keep in mind that these tables are also in other tuning software packages and they may just have a different name in different software packages.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Nice write up Brad. Should help a lot of people.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Thank You Brad for taking the time to write this up! As a person that's just learning to tune, I Really Appreciate all of the help that I can get!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great writeup, thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

ttt as a reminder to the mods to sticky this.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

adding as sticky for a week, then it'll be moved to the sticky consolidations
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeahh! this brings me one step closer to understanding anything about tuning..

are those the factors that you can adjust in handy-tuners like FAST predator or similar?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Thule
yeahh! this brings me one step closer to understanding anything about tuning..

are those the factors that you can adjust in handy-tuners like FAST predator or similar?
No these items are what are in full sofware suites, not the handhelds.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is HPtuners anythign similar to this?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
is HPtuners anythign similar to this?
The tables are pretty much the same, some may be named differently though.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Great write up, thanks!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

•Injector Flow Rate- This is the table that tells the PCM what size injectors you are running. If this table is jacked up, your fueling will be jacked up too. There are calculators available to tell you what values to put in this table depending on what size injectors you have.

Am I missing something fundamental? If you increase (jackup) the IFR the pcm will think the injectors are bigger and will command a lower pulse width, correct? That will lower the fuel not increase it.

Perry
Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pkincy
•Injector Flow Rate- This is the table that tells the PCM what size injectors you are running. If this table is jacked up, your fueling will be jacked up too. There are calculators available to tell you what values to put in this table depending on what size injectors you have.

Am I missing something fundamental? If you increase (jackup) the IFR the pcm will think the injectors are bigger and will command a lower pulse width, correct? That will lower the fuel not increase it.

Perry
When I said "jacked up" I meant innaccurate, not increased, lol. Sorry for the confusing wording. Edited that phrase.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Edit tables explained, please put in the forum sticky