Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i buy hp tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should i buy hp tuners?

the nearest tuner to me is a 3 hour drive. i had my car tuned once for boost using hp tuners, but i had to tow it there and it was a bitch, so with that said there is no local tuning to me. I have been trying to read up on this, and hp tuners is what i would want to go with out of all the other tuning softwares out there, but my main question is, is it user friendly? i have no clue about tuning cars whatsoever, so would i be able to eventually figure things out? there are things i want to do in the future that will require tuning, clearing codes, etc, so would hp tuners be a good investment for what it has?

on thing i am considering in the immediate future is a 4L80e swap, so i would definately need tuning after that, but like i said tuning is about 3 hours away.. would i be able to figure hp tuners out?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For what you have, you would definitely want a wideband oxygen sensor also to be safe. There are tons of good articles on here dealing with tuning and where to start. Just read read read and you can figure it out pretty easily. I say go for the HP Tuners.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

i do have a wideband already so i guess thats a good start! is there anyway to like save the original tune so that it is never lost, even if you accidently reflash the pcm or something?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally I recommend saving your original tune to a couple of different places so that if one of those dies you have it on the second place. Your laptop could be the #1 & a flash drive is a good #2.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

yes, you would be able to figure hptuners out.

spark, fuel and injector table

you might have to be a little patient as it wil take time for people to get a response to ya, but thats how i ended up getting mine, a buddy on here told me about it, i picked my software...and blam look where i am now. however it did take me about a year to figure out everything
Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt the tune in his pcm be locked so he would have to start over?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wait4me
Wouldnt the tune in his pcm be locked so he would have to start over?
Only if his original tuner locked the pcm. Im sure his tuner is probably only a phone call away for the answer to that.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
the nearest tuner to me is a 3 hour drive. i had my car tuned once for boost using hp tuners, but i had to tow it there and it was a bitch, so with that said there is no local tuning to me. I have been trying to read up on this, and hp tuners is what i would want to go with out of all the other tuning softwares out there, but my main question is, is it user friendly? i have no clue about tuning cars whatsoever, so would i be able to eventually figure things out? there are things i want to do in the future that will require tuning, clearing codes, etc, so would hp tuners be a good investment for what it has?

on thing i am considering in the immediate future is a 4L80e swap, so i would definately need tuning after that, but like i said tuning is about 3 hours away.. would i be able to figure hp tuners out?
AbsoFrickenLutely. none of us have a clue until we start... then we just bug the crap out of Foff and DCtune.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
Only if his original tuner locked the pcm. Im sure his tuner is probably only a phone call away for the answer to that.
yes he is just a phone call away.... so what if my tune is locked, would i have to just get a password from my tuner then?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yes he is just a phone call away.... so what if my tune is locked, would i have to just get a password from my tuner then?
If its locked you would need to have your tuner unlock the file with the vehicle present.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is locked from the custom os or the tuner, then you have to physically have the pcm / car back to the tuner for him to unlock.

If a person near you has efilive you can type in the key if it was known and unlock it without having to send it back.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

wait im confused now, my tuner uses hp tuners as well, so if he locked it, i would have to take it back to him to unlock it (he is 3 hours north of me), unless someone around where i live has efi live... then using efi live you can unlock the tune? am i right?