Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST XFI & XIM Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST XFI & XIM Ignition

I just thought I woyuld share my thought on the FAST XFI system and XIM ignition. I have been around the block with tunin systems. I have personally owend and used HPT, EFI Live/RR, AEM, Classic FAST, DFI Gen 6 & 7, and now the FAST XFI.

As far as the sytem is concerned, it is top notch. Install is straight foward with no real issues. The harness is very good quality. I used the new XIM ignition setup. It is a complete plug and play deal that adds on tt the XFI system. A CAN able connects the two boxes together. Once again a plug and play deal. Forget the Edist box. It has been replaced by the XIM.

Once installed I had a minor issued with the COM cable that was resolved quickly by FAST. Top notch customer service. I had the car started and idle set at 14.7:1 with in a couple minutes using the FAST WB for refrence. Me and a friend did the part throttle and cruise tuning last night. You can drive down the road and hit the "L" key and it will auto matically adjust the VE table to match the actual A/F to the desired A/F. We used the percentage trim for 90% of the changes. Just add 2% here take away 5% there. We had the car cruising at 14.5 to 14.8 A/F within a hour or so for 90% of the under 90KPA regions on the VE table.

The fun part was the 100KPA and up. BOOST. I had my 7lb spring in the WG. 110 octane in the tank and was ready to hit it. I set the upper regions of the VE to a desired A/F of 11.5:1. Timmon was set to 17* degrees in those same areas. I did a steady roll in first gear, the car hit 7lbs and I nailed 2nd and 3rd and the A/F reading held 11.5:1 the whole time. Nice and safe. I cant wait to swap in the 14lb srpings .

I have to say that I like the FAST XFI best out of allt he setups I have used except for the AEM setup on my buddies Mustang. The FAST is very user friendly and easy to get a handle on. Their Tech guys are always willing to ehlp you with any problems along the way with out making you feel like a complete idiot. I am Very Pleased to have the FAST XFI/XIM setup on my car.

Sorry for the Novel. Just wanted to share my opinion.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Congratulations! I just helped another board member get his turbo-LS1 running yesterday using the exact same components. Be careful using the "L" feature, it won't take into account the transient fueling.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Yeah. We found out it was easier to use the precentage trim over the "L" feature for a more controlled adjustment.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine out putting some miles on it.. it's a blast! I have a power steering leak that I have to fix before I can really beat on it, I'm going to tackle it tonight and hopefully have some fun this weekend in Atlanta!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

Glad to see some other members like this setup as much as I do.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this thread back from the Dead, but there really isnt much info about the FAST XFI out there on these boards. Anyway my car has the FAST installed and was wondering how many tunes it can hold? Also do you have a good instruction document on the in's and outs of the programming and stuff for the FAST? currently my builder will be doing all of the tuning and stuff but the car is nearly done and I would like to learn more about this comp as it seems like a really good piece. Thanks ahead of time
Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LS2Camaro, if you have a cal switch the XFI can hold up to 4 tunes. Best place to find a cal switch has been Hartline performance. If you haven't picked up the DVD tutorial from FAST about the XFI I'd recommend it even if you do have experience w/ EFI systems. Most of the support online for XFI's seems to be in the buick community on www.turbobuick.com, they've got a tone of users there.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thank you for that info SRZ. I take it the DVD tutorial comes with the F.A.S.T XFI system when you purchase it? I of course have not seen it as I have been stuck out here while my builder is having all of the fun working on my car. I will check out the turbobuick site for more info.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Now you have to buy it from FAST seperate. I know Jack Cotton carries them as that's where I bought mine from. Stay safe out in the Roq. Been there done that.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

also try www.t6p.com . they have a section dedeicated to the fast
Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Teching In

When you guys hooked up the Fast system did you lose your factory Gauges?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

I did not keep the factory gauges. It was more of a race car then street car.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just find it weird that not as many F-body's run the FAST XFI units, they are really good. Is it because the stock ECU can handle what most do as far as mods go for the F-Body with the tuning software available? I do see far more Buicks running them.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

All my factory gauges work. I even have my Service engine light to go off if something is wrong w/ the XFI.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS2Camaro
I just find it weird that not as many F-body's run the FAST XFI units, they are really good. Is it because the stock ECU can handle what most do as far as mods go for the F-Body with the tuning software available? I do see far more Buicks running them.
Its because everyone jump on the BS3 Band Wagaon. I have used Neartly every tunning sofware out there from Motec, AEM, GEN 6/7 DFI, FAST Classic and XFI, and all the stock PCM tuning solutions.

The FAST XFI/XIM setup is more professional Software wise than BS3. BS3 is a little easier to tune with. AEM is awesome in the fact that it uses the factory wirring harness and sensors. Motec (not used on an LS1) was flat out intimidating.

The factory gauges can be kept if you want to piggyback the factroy PCM. Trim all the un needed wires for less clutter. I had rather do a mechanical gauge setup.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Do you know where you can get a dash insert that will take mechanical gauges? I have most mounted in the air vents. But I was wondering about speedometer some other gauges.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Launching!

I will be using the XFI setup in my 98 T/A M6 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I will have to purchase for it to control fuel and ignition. The way I see it I need the main system and main harness and then I am unsure about injector harness, cluster harness, or XIM. Are these all nessecary? Anyone modify their factory injector harness to work? Also how did you find the appropriate wires from PCM to XFI for the gauges? Any help appreciated.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

I have a line on a plug and play harness to allow you to keep the factory gauges with the XFI system. PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: FAST XFI & XIM Ignition