Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key wont come out of key cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Key wont come out of key cylinder

Key wont come out of key lock cylinder...I can not rotate the key while its in the cylinder all the way back to free the key after driving the car.

I have replaced the key lock cylinder before...

The way it seems to be coming out is not by force, but once I engage the parking break while it is in drive and then put it in park while holding down the foot break and leaving the parking break up... it seems to free the key

This has happend twice within the hour for the first time. One the way home I poped the SES light... I just unplugged the battery...Thats all that I can think of to do

Any diagnosis?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shake your steering wheel to lock it in place?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the quick response... I will have to keep that in mind the next time...
I think I figured it out... I had taken the console off a few days ago to wire up some switches and when doing so I removed the shift **** to pull the console off... It looked like I did not get the **** all the way back down on the shaft....so when I went to put it into park it was not going all the way into park because the shaft was not being pushed down far enough due to the **** not being on all the way.

I will keep the steering wheel in mind if the situation rises again.

Again...THANKS!